Tue, May 14, 7:01 PM CDT

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 09 3:54 pm)

Subject: Way off Topic.............Got Paranoia?

Lenord ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2015 at 12:56 PM · edited Wed, 17 April 2024 at 9:17 PM

I know I do, since 1969 when I first stepped foot in Vietnam but that's another story.

Thought my computer was pretty safe with the AV's and Firewall's I have running hell I have 3 AV's and 2 Firewalls, Windows Defender(Eh?), AVG Free and Avast-Pro which I pay for, I mean thought my bases were covered. Especially Avast it's good and it can be a pain in the ass it's so picky because of virus definitions updates can flag code as suspicious in stuff I've been running for years (False Positives) I figured that was a good thing, touchy. Just report them to Avast as false and they fix them in a Future update(Avast is good at that) in the mean time flag the suspicious DLL or whatever as Ignore and do your thing, then in a couple days turn off Ignore and see if it's been fixed, it usually has I'm a real believer in the Avast AV why I'm willing to pay for it. Plus there is always the fact I keep nothing as far as personal information on my computer anyway, no social security number or credit card #s, don't Bank, pay bills or shop Online, nothing to steal except Images.

Now to the Paranoia, I had this Icon appear on my Taskbar yesterday out of the Blue, a Windows Icon so I didn't notice it right away, when I did I thought what the hell is that. It was a Get Windows 10 upgrade Notice to reserve a copy of Windows 10 when it's released July 29th. It's not that that's upsetting it's the fact that Microsoft also did a complete Scan of my computer for Hardware and Software Compatibility for the Win 10 Upgrade, my whole setup apps and everything............and I had no Idea anyone was inside my computer....Got Paranoia?, You Betcha!

You would think there would be some type of Notice "would you like your Puter checked for Win 10 compatibility?" or something but Nooooo, they just did it. I would have hoped my AV would have let me know something was going on but it didn't, I know it's because Microsoft is Microsoft but I thought they would have to at least let you know they were going to be poking around in your computer before hand and not just letting you know they were Here after they were done. I mean it's nice to know my Puter is up to Snuff and Win 10 ready but I don't even want Windows 10 on this Puter, se7en-pro/sp1 is what I run and want to keep it. So, now I just don't feel safe, Microsoft the NSA, damn who the hell else can just pop in and out of my computer at will without my knowing, it really doesn't affect me much because like I said there is nothing on my computer to aid in Identity theft or effect my Finances but it definitely confirms the fact you should never put anything on your computer you don't want to share with the Whole World.............just saying.....Big Brother and his Buddies really are Watching

Remember...No matter where you go there you are

dochtersions ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2015 at 1:39 PM

Lots of strength-wishes with all that computer stuff, Len. I can imagine that one could get completely mad when this things confronts you.

Sorry for my bad English ;-)

Thumb up, my friend!

: Sorry, I only have a crazy woman :D

file_a5e00132373a7031000fd987a3c9f87b.jp

peedy ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2015 at 11:48 PM

Yikes, that's scary, Len.
I really hope they didn't drop something nasty in your comp.
I never click things like that, Microsoft or not.
I first check on their website to see if it's genuine.
I am, like you: As little info about me as possible.
My name is just about all they get.
Fingers crossed they just checked and did nothing else.

Corrie 

Lenord ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2015 at 11:03 AM

It was a legit Microsoft thing, they are doing it to all people with Registered versions of  Win7, 8 and 8.1 checking their setup and Hardware to see that is compatible for the Free Win 10 upgrade but hell ask first I would think. Win 10 sounds like a good thing. All the good stuff from Se7en and options to off all the stuff that gags me in Win8 and 8.1, there is a new Browser  no more IE that sounds very interesting but I still don't want 10 on this machine. I'm trying to save $$ for a new computer so that I dedicate one to just Rendering and the other for Internet and everything else I will probably get that one with 10 but that's a few months down the road yet.

peedy ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2015 at 11:11 AM

I agree, they should ask first.
Specially with all those hacks going on.

I don't know if I want 10, either.
I like what I have right now,
We'll see. :-) 

Bampster ( ) posted Thu, 04 June 2015 at 1:52 PM

I have been paranoid since I first read Colin Wilson's " The Outsider".circa 1950s. Now, at age 77 I am a full blown Paranoid/Artist who literally sees the insidious deceptions and realized that we all have what I call, Fabricated Security Syndrome. But hey, at my age who cares?Most they can do is brand me a senile rebel and banish me to the Senoir Gulag in the Takla Makan desert. Have fun and enjoy!

Lenord ( ) posted Fri, 05 June 2015 at 4:17 PM

I hear ya James, I'm 65 and don't really worry too much about "Them" for myself it's the futures of those carrying my Blood and the young I worry about. Like you I see where we are and where we are heading as a Race and it's not good hopefully it's not too late and the coming generations will wake up and square things away in time. If not it's just a matter of time and I'm afraid our Race has been Run so I'm selfishly glad I've lived when I have and not at the Finish Line.

QuietRiot ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 10:28 AM

I freaked when the Windows icon appeared, and doubled freaked when I found out that they scanned my computer. I resent the fact that I wasn't notified or asked if I was even interested. (which I'm not) Screw Microsoft.......

alida ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 4:22 PM

a real  bother yuk

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.