Tue, Jun 11, 12:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 03 12:49 am)

Subject: Soft Shadows Disabled

MNArtist ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2011 at 8:32 AM · edited Sat, 25 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

I should know this, and it's making me a little crazy.

Using Vue9.5I

When I go into edit the sunlight to apply soft shadows, the slider is disabled - it won't allow me to adjust. What are the parameters or scene settings that allow this to be functional?

I've got the Soft Shadows indicator ticked on in the render options. I'm not using shadow maps. I'm using GR and volumetric lighting. I've tried turning all of those on and off, but it doesn't make any difference. The slider stays disabled.

Anyone know how to enable it?

Thanks for any suggestions

MNArtist ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2011 at 8:44 AM

Never mind. I think I figured it out. Changing the softness parameter in the Sun light panel then enables the shadow softness. Weird. I had increased that earlier and it didn't enable the shadow softness, but this time it did.

Sounds like user error.

bruno021 ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2011 at 5:18 PM

If you are using volumetric sunlight, shadow softness will not work, even if ticked in the Object properties panel, because it automatically enables hard shadow maps to speed up render times. So you need to open the light editor, and change shadow type to raytraced.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 24 September 2011 at 5:43 AM · edited Sat, 24 September 2011 at 5:52 AM

I just clicked the Sun Light object and set Softness to 10 degrees, and then made sure that Soft Shadows was enabled in Render Options for a smoother effect.

For Volumetric Lighting, I had to edit the Sun Light object and turn off "Use Shadow Map" which Vue had turned on.  Softness Quality I left on NONE.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.