Fri, May 17, 7:02 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 16 11:59 pm)

Subject: Dynamic cloth - the cloth room For Compleat Dummies

aRtBee ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2012 at 3:51 PM

hi,

Good looking result. I'm a bit confused by the numbers. Offset in MrSkinner is in meters? Poser Collission offset and depth are in cm.

Oh I see, you wrote in the last paragraph: ... really be twice the collission depth.

You mean: more than twice the collision offset. Didnt you?

Does the belt has a thickness? Collission depth should better be less than half that thickness (upper limit). Without a limit, anything goes.
My hint was to start collission depth at the offset, and double it once or twice. So I don't really understand the extremely small 0,001 = 1/100 of a mm.

Because... as you take 16 steps per frame and 1 frame = 1/30 of a second, 1 step = 1/480th of a second and during that time any vertex should not move more than that 1/100 of a mm. In other words, the max speed of a vertex, pushed inwards while the belt is shrinking in, is limited to 4.8mm/sec. So when the belt shrinking starts say 4.8 cm from the body, it takes say 10 sec = 300 frames + some extra for settling. And I'm sure you did not do that.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

EnglishBob ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2012 at 6:14 PM

Quote - Poser Collission offset and depth are in cm.

Ah. I did not know that. Offset in Mr. Skinner is in Poser Native Units, I think, so my 0.001 Mr. Skinner belt will be 0.262cm, and the 0.0025 one will be 0.655cm. That implies that with the 0.0025 belt, the collison offset should be 0.3 or less.

Yeah, I got mixed up with offset and depth. :) 

Quote - Does the belt has a thickness?

No, it's single sided. The idea was to use this belt only for the simulation, then replace it with something better afterwards.

Even so, there's a limit to how much I can increase collision depth. I'm running tests now with Collision offset = 0.2 on belt and figure. I started Collision depth at 0.2 and doubled it for each test. Going beyond two doublings, where collision depth = 0.8, seems to make results worse.

It's getting late however, so I'll continue this tomorrow, I hope. 

Toomuchtime ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2018 at 4:58 PM

I used to use the cloth room fairly successfully in earlier versions of Poser, but in Poser 11, I go through all the necessary steps for a successful simulation. It goes through the simulation alright, but then returns back to it's initial form as soon as the simulation is finished. I am using a hi-res square from Primitives and draping it over a V4 and also plain old Andi. Same results. Have I suddenly become just plain ol' stupid, or can anyone explain what's happening? I have followed step by step YouTube Poser tutorials, but all for naught. It returns back to plain old flat primitive hi-res square when simulation has finished all 30 frames.

Thanks in advance for any help. I am at the ends of whatever wits I have left.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2018 at 9:16 PM
Site Admin

You need to have saved the scene before running the simulation.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

JAFO ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2018 at 1:16 PM · edited Wed, 06 June 2018 at 1:17 PM

Is your cloth plane "Locked"?

main menu / object / lock object

Y'all have a great day.

Suucat ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2018 at 10:47 PM

The cloth room is just too weird for me, Menu -> Figure -> Conform To... this works for me just fine.

Who finds a friend finds a treasure!

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2018 at 2:53 AM

The Conform mechanism is just too unreliable for me. 😀

And too unrealistic for my liking, particularly pants and skirts.

So, this is where we've come over the years: many still prefer the "ease-of-use" of conforming cloth.

Fair enough.

I'm lazy, and prefer letting the computer do all the hard yards of actually letting cloth drape on a figure, as it does in real life. So, what I've been doing is using Poser in its name-sake role: to pose figures, and (roughly) pose the cloth. Then, I bring that figure and cloth into Blender, and let it finish (finesse) the job. Blender drapes like nobody's business: it has tons of parameter settings for ... you name it. And just like with the cloth room, once you get your head around it, it's slick as owl-poo to use. 😆

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

FVerbaas ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2018 at 12:52 PM · edited Sat, 16 June 2018 at 12:57 PM
Forum Coordinator

@RobynsVeil: I am with you there. Conforming just does not do the trick for end result unless it is for skin-tight underwear. I am even more lazy and use Marvelous Designer as simulation engine. This allows me to use the original definition with flat cloth state for strain zero and original fabric properties definition.

Yes, I know about the MD startup price tag and I sincerely hope someone in the Blender community will pick up the bridging possibilities:

• Fabric propeties and fold lines come in the metadata files (.xml)
  • Fabric strain per facet is in embedded in the geometry as exported.

This should be enough to set all the garment related part of the simulation parameters in Blender.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.