Mon, Jun 17, 8:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 15 9:32 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Patterns in photoshop?

Lucie ( ) posted Sat, 06 November 2010 at 6:42 PM · edited Wed, 08 May 2024 at 10:45 AM

I think this question has been asked before so forgive me if I ask again...  Is there a way when using the pattern overlay in the layer style to rotate the pattern (example if the pattern is made of horizontal lines, rotate it so it will be diagonal)?  I'm using CS3, but should receive CS5 sometimes next week so if it's not possible in CS3, is it possible in CS5?

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

LukeA ( ) posted Sat, 06 November 2010 at 7:14 PM

I am pretty sure the answer to this is no. What I do is fill a large canvas with the pattern and take it into the file I am working on and rotate it using the Free Transform tool. If you hold shift it will snap to set angles.

LukeA

My latest novel

Lucie ( ) posted Sat, 06 November 2010 at 7:41 PM · edited Sat, 06 November 2010 at 7:44 PM

That's what I do as well, I was hoping there was an easier way.  So I'm guessing it's not possible in CS5 either, right?  

Right now I got a project that will end up with close to 40 layers before I merge them all and I want to apply the pattern on all of them, but not all the same angle... 

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

mystikel ( ) posted Sun, 07 November 2010 at 6:33 AM

I know if you rasterize the pattern overlay you can, but when you rasterize the pattern it keeps the shape of it's original selection.

mystikel- 2D resources.

Lucie ( ) posted Sun, 07 November 2010 at 8:26 AM

I'm going to have to look into that, I didn't even know I could rasterize a pattern! lol  It's funny because I've been working for over 10 years every freakin day with photoshop and there's still tools and stuff that I don't know what they're for...  If I did maybe my life would be much easier!  rofl

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

dreamer101 ( ) posted Sun, 07 November 2010 at 10:51 AM

Hmmmm aren't patterns raster to begin with? Patterns can be scaled but not rotated. I would define new patterns for each angle needed. When you are in Free Transform it's better to use the menu at top and enter exact angle. Shift works fine if the angles needed are in increments of 15º.

Lucie ( ) posted Sun, 07 November 2010 at 11:24 AM

If you go in Layer/new fill layer and choose pattern, then you'd need to rasterize the layer if you want to be able to make transformations (besides rescaling) to it.  I think that's what Mystikel is referring to?

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

mystikel ( ) posted Sun, 07 November 2010 at 3:40 PM · edited Sun, 07 November 2010 at 3:40 PM

Quote - If you go in Layer/new fill layer and choose pattern, then you'd need to rasterize the layer if you want to be able to make transformations (besides rescaling) to it.  I think that's what Mystikel is referring to?

Yep, that's what I mean :D

If you right click on the pattern layer a list will pop up and simply click rasterize. :D

Kelly

mystikel- 2D resources.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.