Wed, May 15, 10:11 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 15 9:32 pm)

Subject: Glossy materials with true Fresnel effect using matmatic

Believable3D ( ) posted Sat, 25 June 2011 at 11:13 PM

Save it to the Poser runtime which is logical for you (assuming you have more than one). The rest of the path would be runtime/libraries/materials. Add a subfolder if you're organized. You'll access from the material room.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2012 at 4:52 PM

Addendum: Now that Poser 9 and Poser Pro 2012 are out, this shader is even more useful. The blurred reflections are much faster and much better quality, and you can push the amount of blur to a satisfying level never possible before with Poser.

Try the shader again in the new programs.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

JoePublic ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2012 at 5:38 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_477553.jpg

Thank you for the heads up.

This rendered in 1.5 minutes on my i5 laptop with "blur" set to 1.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2012 at 6:00 PM · edited Mon, 16 January 2012 at 6:01 PM

Fantastic. Need a couple more bounces. 

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

JoePublic ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2012 at 6:19 PM · edited Mon, 16 January 2012 at 6:27 PM

file_477555.jpg

Aah, yes. My default is one bounce only.

Here it is raised to four.

2.20 min render time while also surfing and watching a movie.

:-)

aRtBee ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2012 at 9:30 AM

looks good. Note that the bounce is a max cut-off, if it doesn't need all of them, they won't be used. According to me, the inner upper side of the right thigh suggest that you can use more, just try 8 or 16 or so. Perhaps an area render will reduce the time to get this sorted.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

JoePublic ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2012 at 12:33 PM

file_477568.jpg

Here's 8 bounces. :-)

aRtBee ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2012 at 2:22 PM

Great, Silver Surfer ahead. Thanks.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

Batronyx ( ) posted Sun, 01 July 2012 at 1:46 PM

Quote - looks good. Note that the bounce is a max cut-off, if it doesn't need all of them, they won't be used. According to me, the inner upper side of the right thigh suggest that you can use more, just try 8 or 16 or so. Perhaps an area render will reduce the time to get this sorted.

When the bounce reaches its max cutoff it resorts to using the background value. That is usually black by default, hence the black spots. You can plug the image for your environment sphere, through a sphere mapped node there for a better looking cheat with fewer bounces.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2012 at 7:07 AM

Quote - When the bounce reaches its max cutoff it resorts to using the background value. That is usually black by default, hence the black spots. You can plug the image for your environment sphere, through a sphere mapped node there for a better looking cheat with fewer bounces.

Interesting info Batronyx, thanks... would this by any chance be true of IDL bounces too then?

Cheers 😉

Batronyx ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2012 at 7:45 AM

Yes, but differently. When the light stop bouncing it just uses whatever color it has picked up from bouncing around. If it didn't hit anything, it will return whatever is in the background shader. This won't ever happen if you are using an envirosphere or some such.

I've used this technique similar to a Diffuse IBL light for compositing in post ( to help a figure feel more integrated into whatever photo you want to composite with ) but without an actual light emitting environment, the results aren't very pronounced, just less washed out than a default solid color. So I still needed to add supplemental 'not-visible-in-camera' emitters.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2012 at 8:39 AM

Ah okay... I'd half wondered if the black artifacts that can appear in IDL only renders were any relation to what you'd mentioned.

But I've since read an explanation from Bagginsbill on how these are linked to Irradiance Caching... and from what you're also saying above too, it doesn't sound like that sphere mapped node cheat would help with those black IDL pre-pass artifacts?

Still, very interesting relative to ray-traced reflections...

Many thanks 😄

Batronyx ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2012 at 8:30 PM

Yeah, it won't help with the IDL artifacts, but I'm glad you found the reflection part useful :)

xpdev ( ) posted Fri, 13 July 2012 at 6:51 AM

file_483727.jpg

This is a simple test tool BBGlossy applied to the barrel

But I have a problem when I apply BBGlossy, I completely lose the "material" object.

If I apply BBGLossy to the wood support i loose the wood....

I'm not able to understand,

can anyone help me ?

Many thanks.

Poser Pro 2014 SR 1 on Windows 7 64 bit
I use IDL, Gamma Correction and EZSkin for all final renders.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 13 July 2012 at 7:53 AM

This will be some work for you, but it's not going to take forever.

It is simply a matter of putting the texture images back into the shader after you load BBGlossy.

I will show you the steps.

xpdev ( ) posted Fri, 13 July 2012 at 8:11 AM

Thanks, you a really the best

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 13 July 2012 at 8:52 AM

file_483735.jpg

Took me a while to find something suitable to demonstrate on.

I'm going to use an airplane because it has a nice texture, and it has just one material zone - making my demonstration easy.

This is how the plane renders after loading it - no shine.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 13 July 2012 at 8:56 AM · edited Fri, 13 July 2012 at 8:56 AM

file_483736.jpg

Before you get started, you will want to prepare a few different setups of BBGlossy.

They should all be color white.

They should be adjusted in the other parameters to produce the kinds of shine you will need.

You will make adjustments to IOR, Reflectivity, and Blur. Prepare a few and save them to your library.

Here is an example from mine.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 13 July 2012 at 9:00 AM · edited Fri, 13 July 2012 at 9:05 AM

file_483737.jpg

Go into the Material, Advanced view.

Click on some part of your object you want to work on in the preview window. Its material will appear in the material window.

Most materials are simple and only have a color texture. Some will have color and a bump as this one does.

They may or may not have names that tell you what they are. But generally you can tell by where they are connected. Diffuse_Color usually connects to the color map. Bump usually connects to the bump map.

By using ctrl-click with the mouse, select both. Then right-click and Copy. You now have these nodes in the clipboard. (Or just a color map.)

If you have a bump map, look at the number in bump. You will need to type that again.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 13 July 2012 at 9:03 AM

file_483738.jpg

From the material library, load one of your white BBGlossy shaders. Your textures will be gone from the window.

Now right-click and do Paste. Your texture will be back. But they will lose their names. You will have to look at them to know which is which.

Move them into place as shown.

Connect the color map to PMC:Color and to PoserSurface Diffuse_Color. (Red arrows)

Connect the bump map to PoserSurface Bump. (Red arrow)

Change Filtering to Crisp (circled).

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 13 July 2012 at 9:04 AM

file_483739.jpg

After you connects are made correctly, it will look something like this.

The numerical value in the Bump parameter will need adjustment. You should take note of these before you change the shader, and then re-enter the value. In my case, it was .2.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 13 July 2012 at 9:07 AM

file_483740.jpg

Now render. Shiny!

Adjust the parameters as desired.

PM:IOR - increase/decrease the shine of the middle - controls the Fresnel effect minimum shine

PM:Reflectivity - increase/decrease the overall shine - controls the Fresnel effect minimum and maximum shine

PM:Blur - increase/decrease roughness of the surface - spreads highlights

xpdev ( ) posted Fri, 13 July 2012 at 9:13 AM

I'm not sure I understood everything, I do some tests to understand and not just copy what you do.

thanks a lot for now

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.