Thu, Jun 13, 3:18 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 13 12:32 am)

Subject: Twisted terrains

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 04 June 2008 at 11:52 AM · edited Mon, 08 January 2024 at 6:56 PM

Attached Link: http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=059678

Someone asked for ways to make weird, twisted terrains recently (I could not find the thread).

Here is a small tutorial to do just that with zbrush.

I know it is not directly Vue related, but it is relevant to Vue if you have access to zbrush and want to render such terrains with Vue.

Trepz ( ) posted Wed, 04 June 2008 at 11:55 AM

That is nice !

I recently got a wacom and was lookin for n excuse to reinstall zbrush:D thanks man(;

"Many are willing to suffer for their art. Few are willing to learn to draw."

FrankT ( ) posted Wed, 04 June 2008 at 1:40 PM

I had a go at importing one of those mothers into Vue and it died :)  Mind you - that was the fully subdivided version at about 900K + verts

It's a great tut - I even bought it from Gnomonology (comes with a bunch of alphas and other goodies)

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Trepz ( ) posted Wed, 04 June 2008 at 2:00 PM

I was thinking about making it putting it into cionema and reducing polys a bit then trying it with Vue. 

"Many are willing to suffer for their art. Few are willing to learn to draw."

FrankT ( ) posted Wed, 04 June 2008 at 2:39 PM

yeah.  I'll probably end up decimating it in Hex (or just export a lower subD heh)

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Xpleet ( ) posted Wed, 04 June 2008 at 2:39 PM

Looks neat. Is this possible with C4D?

FrankT ( ) posted Wed, 04 June 2008 at 2:42 PM

I'd have thought so but in ZBrush it's ridiculously easy

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

bruno021 ( ) posted Wed, 04 June 2008 at 4:29 PM

Well, if you have Zbrush, Frank, can't you just import the base mesh in Vue, along with a displacement map generated in Zbrush? Those rocks look incredible!

FrankT ( ) posted Wed, 04 June 2008 at 6:14 PM

I probably could - I haven't really played with displacement maps much in ZBrush yet but it's on my list of things to get the hang of :)

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Xpleet ( ) posted Thu, 05 June 2008 at 12:24 AM

What memory would a 4096x4096 resolution terrain require if you converted it into a full 3d model?

FrankT ( ) posted Thu, 05 June 2008 at 3:13 AM

I don't know off the top of my head but I'd imagine "lots" would be somewhere around the right figure.  Would be in the Gb I'd guess

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

lindans ( ) posted Thu, 05 June 2008 at 4:12 AM

wow!! that is stunning, I'd love to have something like that to use in Vue

Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face. I am a traveler of both time and space ....Kashmir, Led Zeppelin

Monsoon ( ) posted Thu, 05 June 2008 at 6:59 AM

file_407668.jpg

I bought the tutorial from Gnomonology some time ago myself and started delving into ways Zbrush might come in handy for Vue. I have Zbrush 3.1 and though I think it's a great tool and can do wondrous things it forced me back into Vue to find solutions.

First, it keeps crashing on me and I can't figure out why and second, I can't get it to export displacement maps...some anomalous error right at the end of the export process. Started to tick me off so I figured I'd go round about and I took the alphas that come with the tutorial into Photoshop, made them seamless and then put them through CrazyBump to make displacements.

They work in Vue ok but something was still missing. The base mesh from the tutorial is an ok object but it's a facade and can be used only from the front (or the back if you're in a cave). So back to work in Vue......

Now I have a whole set of procedural displacement materials for rocks that I think do the trick. Image displacement works as well, but I think Vue likes procedural displacement better sometimes. At any rate, I noticed that Vue rocks take displacement well so I fused a bunch together, optimized them and baked them to polygons. Since they are rocks working in concert with each other, I call them rock concert objects and being modular, can be twirled, stacked and put together into any number of cliffs, outcroppings, columns, etc.

Here is a quick render....a single rock concert object duped and rotated several times with one of the displacement materials added. 

Do you think it works?

M

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Thu, 05 June 2008 at 8:14 AM

That rocks me Monsoon!  Hope this hits the marketplace soon!

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

dlk30341 ( ) posted Thu, 05 June 2008 at 9:15 AM

That looks fantastic Monsoon!

lindans ( ) posted Thu, 05 June 2008 at 9:45 AM

Nice! nice! nice! 🆒🆒🆒

Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face. I am a traveler of both time and space ....Kashmir, Led Zeppelin

FrankT ( ) posted Thu, 05 June 2008 at 12:57 PM

Looks pretty good I'd say.  Saves me having to make 'em myself :biggrin:

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

chippwalters ( ) posted Thu, 05 June 2008 at 8:02 PM

Nice Rocks Mark!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.