Fri, Jun 14, 3:03 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 14 12:05 pm)

Subject: Vue InteriorPak preview

chippwalters ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 11:37 AM · edited Wed, 12 June 2024 at 6:01 PM

So as to not completely co-op the 'other' thread, I've gone ahead and started this one. I hope to post some 'in progress' shots of my lateset 'Pak', called 'Vue InteriorsPak' (for the lack of a better name).

The main goal with this product is to systematically create a methodology one can follow, whether in Esprit (Simple) or Vue (Advanced) to create realistic Vue Interiors. This has been a bit of a 'holy grail' for some in the sense it's extremely difficult to do. I've spent the last couple months researching the settings, sometimes with the help of e-on's engineers, with the goal on optimizing settings in an easy way for others to follow.

For the most part all the documentation for Vue InteriorPak is done. A few screen grabs are left to do and some final models and materials. Anyway, this scene will be included in the package.

There's a small bit of post in this one, as it was originally rendered at 2X the current size, and of course Title, etc..added.

One of the values to me of previewing a PAK this way, is I can get constructive criticism of what it is and features required, before actually putting it on the market. So, if you have questions, please ask!

thefixer ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 11:40 AM
Online Now!

Wow! Stunning room, fantastic!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Trepz ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 11:58 AM

Really looks nice chipp(; every bit as good as those "highend" modeling packages:D

"Many are willing to suffer for their art. Few are willing to learn to draw."

wabe ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 12:22 PM

Really fantastic stuff Chipp. High quality stuff for sure. What are the specs for the high-fi system in there? :-)))

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

chippwalters ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 12:52 PM

Quote - Really fantastic stuff Chipp. High quality stuff for sure. What are the specs for the high-fi system in there? :-)))

Thanks Wabe. Yep, you get a 54" Plasma screen with full Surround Sound and AltuitSpecial DVD entertainment playback center with remote! All for the low price of...wait.... I don't have a price yet!

dlk30341 ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 1:05 PM

Fabulous, this looks = to a Mental Ray/Brazil quality!

FrankT ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 1:21 PM

Wow, that looks almost on a par with some VRay renders I've seen.  I can't wait to get my sticky fingers on this one !
🤤

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

chippwalters ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 1:27 PM

Quote - Fabulous, this looks = to a Mental Ray/Brazil quality!

Thanks! Interesting you point that out.

Fig 1. Not Vue, but Podium

Just like TerraPak where I started by trying to emulate the best parts of a more simple yet beautiful renderer (Terragen,) this new interior pak is being created by copying some of the best features of a simple renderer called Podium which works with SketchUp. The picture you see above is from a model which was found on the Podium forum, and rendered by another artist.

In this Podium render (Fig 1), you can see a bit more light bleeding than in the Vue one, and there's even a bit smoother gradation of the picture. But, there are a number of things Podium can't do that Vue can, so my goal was to try and squeeze the most from a Vue render to make it as photoreal as possible, without incurring impossible render times. Here's the same model rendered in Vue (Fig 2)

Fig 2. Vue Render

One of the things I'm focussed on is how to create a simple and easy to follow recipe for those who need/want to create interior shots. Neither of these 3 renders shown use any lights other than ambient. So, that's not too difficult a lighting rig to setup, eh?

BTW, I should also mention, you can use the free version of Google SketchUp and the free OBJ exporter plugin found at:
http://sketchuptips.blogspot.com/2007/01/wavefront-obj-exporter.html
to create detailed interiors and import them in to Vue. Not to mention Google Warehouse has a slew of great furniture and other models...and it's all free.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 1:34 PM

I like both renders.  The Vue render appears to have a color "hue" to it.  Bluish/grn if my old eyes are seeing correctly LOL.  Another words the colors look more "pure" in the 1st render.  Hope that makes sense.

Kaji ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 1:38 PM

Wow. That looks like Maxwell or Vray!

chippwalters ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 1:54 PM

Quote - I like both renders.  The Vue render appears to have a color "hue" to it.  Bluish/grn if my old eyes are seeing correctly LOL.  Another words the colors look more "pure" in the 1st render.  Hope that makes sense.

Yep, that is a function of the ambient settings and can be changed to suit one's taste.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 1:59 PM

Good deal :) Thanks.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 2:52 PM

Excellent!

silverblade33 ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 3:46 PM

that is way damn good,Chipp! :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 4:13 PM

Wow...you have really outdone yourself this time. This is right up there with all the High-End renderers...well done my friend, well done.. ...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Xpleet ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 4:18 PM

Very nice.

How long did the very first picture take?

chippwalters ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 4:22 PM

The very first image rendered at 1024 x 576 and I used HyperVue and 4 computers to render it over about 5 hours. I'm pretty sure it would render in under 12 hours on a decent desktop, as my RenderCow network has some fairly slow machines on it. I'll post more info on render times as I go.

Xpleet ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 6:07 PM

Thanx Chipp you're doing a great job for the community. 

stormchaser ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 6:30 PM · edited Sun, 23 March 2008 at 6:30 PM

Amazing work there Chipp!
That lightwork is so realistic, just like from one of the highend renderers as people have mentioned.
It'd be interesting to see what it'd look like with a Poser figure in there.
You've definitely grabbed people's attention here!

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 7:07 PM

Looking great!  Can't wait to try this out on a sci-fi interior.

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

Jonj1611 ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 7:27 PM

Looks fantastic Chipp, can't wait to get hold of that :)

Jon

DA Portfolio - http://jonj1611.daportfolio.com/

alexcoppo ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 7:50 PM

Even it is not exactly an interior, it would be very interesting to see what can you do about Sponza Atrium.

Bye!!!

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2

garyandcatherine ( ) posted Mon, 24 March 2008 at 3:01 AM

FAKE!  This is not a real photo.  You can tell because there is no cat hair collecting against the baseboards and no ketchup on the walls from little kids hands.  the biggest give away is of course there are no neighbors looking in through the windows.  :)

Rutra ( ) posted Mon, 24 March 2008 at 5:15 AM

This is amazing, really well done. Excellent work.

With so much ambient light, are grain or blotches a problem? I dont see any of it on your images, so I see you took good care of it. :-)

What about transparency on the windows? In your renders the windows appear as white. Could you have transparency on them and see the outside?

What about other light sources? You say that these images were produced just with ambient light. Could we put a lamp additionally in the room, for example, without spoiling the effect?

What about Poser figures in these rooms? Do they look good in this light? Namely, have you tried a Poser figure with SkinVue applied to it? Or a Poser figure rendered with the Poser shader tree?

What about caustics, like from glass or water? Do they look good in this light?

Sorry, too many questions! :-) But your product did trigger my curiosity. :-)

I got curious about the SketchUp - OBJ converter. That is only necessary for the free SketchUp version, right? I ask because Vue can directly open SKP files from the pro version. Or does this converter do something else, like cleaning the mesh or something else? (SKP meshes seem a bit "chaotic" to me, in terms of topology)

chippwalters ( ) posted Mon, 24 March 2008 at 5:42 AM

Quote - This is amazing, really well done. Excellent work.

With so much ambient light, are grain or blotches a problem? I dont see any of it on your images, so I see you took good care of it. :-)

What about transparency on the windows? In your renders the windows appear as white. Could you have transparency on them and see the outside?

Yep, you could do transparencies if you wanted to. It would take longer for the render, but it would work. Or you could just place alpha planes outside the windows.

Quote - What about other light sources? You say that these images were produced just with ambient light. Could we put a lamp additionally in the room, for example, without spoiling the effect?

Lamps and other light sources work fine. I'm doing a totally enclosed scene right now and will post it when it gets done so you can see.

Quote - What about Poser figures in these rooms? Do they look good in this light? Namely, have you tried a Poser figure with SkinVue applied to it? Or a Poser figure rendered with the Poser shader tree?

Haven't tried Poser figures...I'm not much of a Poser guy so I don't really know. I would suppose they'd do alright....why wouldn't they?

Quote - What about caustics, like from glass or water? Do they look good in this light?

I would assume caustics need a direct light source, not just ambient. So I expect they'd work if there was a glass of water under a lamp.

Quote - Sorry, too many questions! :-) But your product did trigger my curiosity. :-)
I got curious about the SketchUp - OBJ converter. That is only necessary for the free SketchUp version, right? I ask because Vue can directly open SKP files from the pro version. Or does this converter do something else, like cleaning the mesh or something else? (SKP meshes seem a bit "chaotic" to me, in terms of topology)

You're correct, the OBJ converter is for the free version as only the Pro version can export OBJ's. I find Vue likes OBJ imports much better than SKP import, especially with Complicated components and groups. I haven't had any problems with the topology.

Rutra ( ) posted Mon, 24 March 2008 at 7:21 AM

Quote - *"What about Poser figures in these rooms? Do they look good in this light? Namely, have you tried a Poser figure with SkinVue applied to it? Or a Poser figure rendered with the Poser shader tree?"
Haven't tried Poser figures...I'm not much of a Poser guy so I don't really know. I would suppose they'd do alright....why wouldn't they?"

*I was just wondering because it could be a very good selling argument for you, if they look good (meaning, realistic). There are so many efforts by so many people to make realistic looking portraits in Vue that if your lighting is good for this purpose too, this could be a really good argument. I don't normally do many interior scenes (or the ones I do are very special/moody, in terms of lighting) but if your lighting provides a good environment for a realistic portrait, that alone would be an argument for me to buy it, for example.

Warangel ( ) posted Mon, 24 March 2008 at 7:56 AM

I just hope that the guide for this is as good as the guide for the Terrapak. I have learned so much from that product.

As someone who also does architectural renderings, I am really looking forward to this pak, as I gave up using VUE for interiors years ago. This might bring me back to it.

FrenchKiss ( ) posted Mon, 24 March 2008 at 8:46 AM

I think this is amazing, Chipp. Sorry I did't really read through all so i don't understand how you could put this into a pack? Will it be scenes and a tutorial? You don't have to answer that. I'm just thinking out loud.

mamba-negra ( ) posted Mon, 24 March 2008 at 8:38 PM

Wow! That is amazing! This is exactly what I have been trying to do with vue (and not succeeding at very well at all! :P )

chippwalters ( ) posted Mon, 24 March 2008 at 9:54 PM

Quote - I think this is amazing, Chipp. Sorry I did't really read through all so i don't understand how you could put this into a pack? Will it be scenes and a tutorial? You don't have to answer that. I'm just thinking out loud.

Hi Linda,

As with most all my 'Paks', this one will include a lengthy (currently 34 pages) e-book with the tested formulas and techniques for creating photoreal interiors. I'll also have over 50 textures and materials, plus lots of models optimized for radiosity interior scenes.

best,
Chipp

FrenchKiss ( ) posted Tue, 25 March 2008 at 12:11 AM

Wow, sounds like it'll be fantastic! :)
Looking forward to it.

chippwalters ( ) posted Tue, 25 March 2008 at 9:47 PM

Here's another one. This one rendered at 800 x 450 in 3 hours and 40 minutes on my WinXP Intel Dual Core desktop. I need to render it a bit larger as when I scaled it down to fit this width, some aliasing artifacts are shown.

This image has a particularly long renderosity pre-calc time and uses ZERO ambient light. It is completely lit by the spotlights in the ceiling and the lights on the track lighting.

I'll do a larger one and post it in my gallery later. Like the previous image, this scene, and all objects in it will be part of InteriorPak.

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Tue, 25 March 2008 at 10:09 PM

Jaw dropping amazing!  This looks photo real.

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

bobbystahr ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2008 at 4:29 AM

Heh heh heh... I do believe you meant radiosity pre-calc rather than *"This image has a particularly long renderosity pre-calc time "...*LOL.. ...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

AboranTouristCouncil ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2008 at 5:59 AM

Wow. Words escape me.

...Insert some witty or thought provoking comment here...

Izaro ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2008 at 6:43 AM

Excellent !

So ......................... when's the 'Interior Pack' launch date? (and, please reserve one for me...)

FrankT ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2008 at 7:32 AM

and me, I'll put my name down for one now

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

attileus ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2008 at 9:44 AM

Great photos chipp! :-)

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2008 at 10:43 AM

Sign me up. Been struggling with an interior scene lighting (Granted total Newbee to Vue so that is expected). But Holy Smokes! Fantastic. (better be release earlier then Daz Soon or you might have a riot on your hands)

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

craftycurate ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2008 at 11:08 AM

Excellent stuff - I've long been seeking quality interior renders in Vue - it's a kind of Holy Grail! I'm intrigued to see how you've done this and how you can create such dynamic images with ambient light which I thought would flatten the image.

When are you expecting to release the Pack?

stormchaser ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2008 at 11:34 AM

Amazing work again Chipp!
The thing is, you'll be setting the standard now. It will be good for alot of us to try & recreate something on the same quality level. I have yet to try for a realistic interior scene like this, now I'm really tempted.
Really, really good work.

magnumopus ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 12:52 AM

Amazing work,Chipp!! I'm really looking forward to this becoming available.

chippwalters ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 1:14 AM

Thanks for all the nice comments. I'm working furiously at putting together the final package. The document is finished, and I'm currently doing one more render of an existing Vue scene for sale (one of Forester's great Japanese interiors). Hopefully the rendering should be up tomorrow. Then, I'm a couple models shy of being finished (A couple chairs actually). Need to build the website, too.

If anyone needs a pre-copy of this, contact me offline and we'll work out a deal. But, it shouldn't be long now.

best,
Chipp

chippwalters ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 2:00 PM

Here's one of the test renders of Pam's Japanese interior. This one is lit with one sunlight and ambient light, and rendered in 1hr 30' on my 3 networked computers.

chippwalters ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 5:42 PM

The final Pam Japan Interior is done and can be seen at:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1646569

Some final notes on the image:
Final rendering done at 1280 x 720 resolution. Used Neat Image to remove some of the noise on the walls. Added Lens Glare and adjusted brightness in Photoshop. Rendered in 3hr 24" on my 4-machine RenderCow network. Only one of the machines is what I would consider decent for 3D.

vincebagna ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 8:01 PM

Where have i been to miss that diamond!

Really amazing work! You are just realizing lot of people's dreams Chipp! Mine for sure ^^

My Store

chippwalters ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2008 at 3:19 AM · edited Thu, 03 April 2008 at 3:24 AM

InteriorPak is now available
http://www.altuit.com/webs/vuetoolbar/InteriorPakCover/default.htm

Here's another image. This one is rendered using some up and coming models from Gary Miller (of garyandcatherine fame). The interesting part of it is the fact it was rendered in only 47 minutes and actually uses the 'splotchiness' of the radiosity to create a grime layer for the warehouse.

wabe ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2008 at 7:04 AM

I had the pleasure to test this - and proof read. One of those "must have" definitely.

Beside scene, objects and several other pluses, there is so much information absolutely key to all those who want to learn more about the secrets of the Vue render engine. And that for all levels of experience, up to the experts that I am sure will learn some new tricks here.
Very well done Chipp!

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

synergy543 ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2008 at 4:05 PM

Stunning!

(....reaches down to pick jaw up off the floor)

MyCat ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2008 at 9:52 PM

Quote - One of those "must have" definitely.

Now in my "have" folder.:biggrin:

chrispoole ( ) posted Fri, 04 April 2008 at 7:47 PM

Found this on another search of the forums, top notch work on these scenes, the lighting is stunning. I'm really impresses.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.