Fri, Jun 14, 7:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 14 12:05 pm)

Subject: Creating objects using HyperTextures

chippwalters ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2007 at 11:52 AM · edited Mon, 29 April 2024 at 11:56 AM

I've a new video which explains in detail how to create objects, like the one below, using Hypertextures. You can view it HERE. You may wish to click on the fullscreen icon.

While it uses GridModeler to create the object, you can do similar modeling using other tools as well, such as a calculator and paint program.

I hope you find it useful.

-Chipp

FrankT ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2007 at 1:01 PM

Damn Chipp - do you ever sleep ? :)
I'll take a looksee - thanks very much

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

magnumopus ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2007 at 1:37 PM

Chipp, this is one of the most helpful Vue tutorials I've seen yet. Many thanks for making this available to us!

craftycurate ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2007 at 6:37 PM

Vue crashes regularly for me when I do anything with HypertexturesVolumetric materials.

Wonder if anyone else gets this?

Thanks
Richard

chippwalters ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2007 at 9:16 PM

Hey Richard,

I don't have any problems on any of my computers.
What is your system configuration? Perhaps I can help you debug...

craftycurate ( ) posted Thu, 29 November 2007 at 4:53 AM

Hi Chipp ...

I get fairly regular crashes in Vue when doing normal things e.g. resizing objects, doing stuff in world browser, but I notice it more with things like volumetric materials. The crash is always preceded by a short burst of hard disk activity and a "background process" hourglass mouse pointer.

I suspect it's something to do with Vue's undo buffer and memory management that is triggering this.

I'm beginning to think it's a system issue, but no idea what.

Pentium D930 3GHz
Windows XP MCE 05
2GB RAM
256 MB Nvidia 8600 GTS
320 GB HD in a RAID 0 config.

Someone advised me to run a memory test which I hope to do at some point when I get time, but any thoughts welcome.

Cheers
Richard

chippwalters ( ) posted Thu, 29 November 2007 at 5:05 AM

Richard,

Here's how I would approach the problem.

1. Try only software OpenGL and see if you can make it crash, if so then
  2. Try wireframe (no OpenGL) and see if you can make it crash, if so then
  3. Try checking memory and/or temperature.

If it does not crash with software OpenGL, then check your video drivers-- they may need updating. Also, you can try turning down the threshold of your video acceleration.

I typically try first to find a mode where it doesn't crash, then start adding things back, like video acceleration, OpenGL, etc..

Hope it helps.

best,
Chipp

Rutra ( ) posted Thu, 29 November 2007 at 10:59 AM

I found that, at least on my system, a very frequent source of crashes is the small preview window. If I have it to automatically update and if I'm doing complex operations (booleans, metablobs, hypertextures, etc), then the crashes are very frequent. So, I typically set it to not update automatically if I'm doing this stuff.

craftycurate ( ) posted Thu, 29 November 2007 at 11:22 AM

Thanks - it's worth a go.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.