Sun, Jun 2, 5:28 AM CDT

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 01 7:24 pm)

Secret Style 66

$11.95 USD 30% Off
$8.37 USD

Romi Fashion dForce SummerTime 13

$9.85 USD 30% Off
$6.90 USD

Subject: Vue 6 and 16-bit Grayscale Terrain Maps TUTE

chippwalters ( ) posted Tue, 13 March 2007 at 1:11 AM · edited Fri, 20 October 2023 at 7:19 PM

I've often thought one of the reasons for Terragen's great terrain resolution had to do with it's 16-bit terrain rendering. Vue 6 announced such support but it took me awhile to figure out how best to use it. Below are the results of my tests. It appears 16-bits really help terrain resolution significantly. More tests to do..

If you haven't yet seen my Step-by-Step tutorials on terrains and mapping you might gander over to:
http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/VueStepbyStep/default.htm at your convenience.

sittingblue ( ) posted Tue, 13 March 2007 at 2:22 AM · edited Tue, 13 March 2007 at 2:23 AM

Thanks for sharing! I feel informed. :tt1:

Charles

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Tue, 13 March 2007 at 8:05 AM

Thanks for the tutorial!

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

silverblade33 ( ) posted Tue, 13 March 2007 at 12:45 PM

What programs, and what versions, can output 16 bit grayscale sthough, anyone know? :)

IRIC world mahcine can, Photoshop CS2 but not sure on any others.

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

chippwalters ( ) posted Wed, 14 March 2007 at 6:38 AM

Here's a couple pics of a 16-bit 512x512 terrain. Under 1800 polys.

I built it mostly in Photoshop with the help of altTerrainBuilder

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.