Sun, Jun 2, 7:53 AM CDT

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 01 7:24 pm)

Subject: Feedback on new mini-tutes

chippwalters ( ) posted Sun, 31 December 2006 at 4:09 AM · edited Tue, 24 October 2023 at 2:05 AM

I've been working on a new mini-tutorial format for Vue6 training. But before I spend too much on it, I'd like some feedback on the presentation form factor.

It has occurred to me, longer tutorials generally are more informative, but they also create larger file sizes, a longer load time and more importantly a larger hit on the server. So, I'm trying to squeeze as much information as I can into an iPod size tutorial-- with the added benefit if you have a video iPod you can subscribe as well.

I plan on spending some time creating modeling tutorials using Vue's own powerful but under-utilized modeling tools. These tutorials will probably focus mostly on Vue6-Infinite users with more than basic knowledge of the program.

I'm also interested in knowing subjects people are interested in learning more about.

OOPS, almost forgot the link to the mini-tutes 'Vodcast' site:
www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/VueTraining/Vodcasts.htm

This first tutorial is a bit over 8 minutes long, and talks about optimizing Vue6 settings for scene and model creation. I hope there are a few new techniques in there for everyone to enjoy.

Please let me know if it works for you.

best, Chipp

Irish ( ) posted Sun, 31 December 2006 at 7:09 AM

Great tutorial Chipp!  Nice, easy to understand ~ Congratulations!  Hope to see more!

:)
Irene

impish ( ) posted Sun, 31 December 2006 at 8:23 AM

Nice tutorial Chipp. 

I had to learn some new stuff at work back in November and the training materials were all provided as Video tutorials.  While there are a lot of advantages to video tutorials I quickly learnt that there are a couple of problems with them.  If they are more than about 5 minutes long refering back to them for a piece of information can be a real drag so I definitly think shorter is better.  They can be hard to reproduce yourself step by step but this can be overcome if a simplified version (just bullet points with a short explanation) is available as a text file alongside the video.  This also has the advantage of making them show up in the search engines where a video file is unlikely to rank as well.

impworks | vue news blog | twitter | pinterest

surveyman ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 1:26 PM

Chip,

Excellent work. 

"Impish" is correct that in a long tutorial it can be hard to locate a specific topic or step.  But in your implementation, you've got the topics listed in the left hand pane, so a long tutorial is OK as a viewer can move the 'slider' to the topic he/she wants to review.

A text file of steps would be of help as a viewer can follow the steps as you go through them - but that is more suited to desktop work as opposed to Ipod viewing.  Great job - please - do more.

Chers...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.