Fri, Jun 14, 2:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 13 6:49 pm)

Subject: Thank You All For Your Help! ... (camera ordered!)

CavalierLady ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 1:28 PM · edited Tue, 11 June 2024 at 9:17 PM

Well, I've gone and done it... I've ordered my camera and lenses and commited myself to what I'm sure will be many months of steep learning curve, considering that I am not at all familiar with the workings of manual focusing on a DSLR!! I hope I'm not jinxing anything by speaking so early, but I checked out many ratings on sellers at ebay, and am hoping that I have no problems receiving the equipment I have ordered.

Here's what I ordered:

Canon EOS 30D which comes with -
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens
... and then I also ordered these two lenses:
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM lens
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM macro lens

I saved about $650 by going this way, and was considering looking at a wide angle lens, but I think these three lenses are more than plenty for me to learn for now! I can always get more lenses later, as I gain a little experience. It would be better to use that savings on a couple of good (extreme111) memory cards, extra battery, bag, UV lenses, lens hoods, etc.  I've read mixed reviews on the 17-85mm lens, so I hope that wasn't a mistake. I have already found a pdf version of the manual that I can be looking through, and will run to the bookstore and try to find a good book on learning digital photography, in addition to the articles I have found online.

You all have been such a tremendous help with all the responses to my various forum posts, and I just want to thank you all so very much for all the help and suggestions!! You have been truly wonderful! I know I'll be too embarrassed to post any of my first attempts. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the future, and I hope you won't mind any beginner questions that I might have. So if I'm not around much, you'll know why, I'll be busy studying and experimenting.

I just wanted you all to know that I couldn't have done this without you, and you're tops in my book!!!!

Thanks, everyone!!!

Wish me luck!

Maria

Onslow ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 1:49 PM

So pleased for you Maria - I hope you have many happy times shooting with your new camera.

I am sure you will not be disappointed with your choice which will give you a very firm foundation on which to build your photography hobby. I don't think you will find the 17-85 lens a disappointment, mine certainly isn't.  

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

Radlafx ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 1:54 PM

Congratulations!! The sharpness of the 70-200 will blow you away. You may want to get Extreme-IV cards instead of Extreme-III. A bunch of 2-gigs are best

Question the question. Answer the question. Question the answer...

I wish I knew what I was gonna say :oP

Valerie-Ducom ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 2:33 PM

Congrats !!!! I hope to see your new captures with this new camera 😄

gradient ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 3:06 PM

Congrats!!!   I second Onslow's comment....you will not be disappointed and I am sure that the cam & lenses will give you many pleasureable shooting opportunities.

Now...go out and have fun!!!

In youth, we learn....with age, we understand.

Radlafx ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 3:12 PM

Did you get a tracking number?

Question the question. Answer the question. Question the answer...

I wish I knew what I was gonna say :oP

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 3:27 PM

I can't wait to see your results...such a nice cam and collection of lenses there. You didn't hold back, did you. :) Very, very happy for you. 8^]

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

Simon_P ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 4:21 PM

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM lens
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM macro lens

Both superb lenses I own/have owned both of them, the 17-85 is also a good lens

The 30D is a great camera

Happy shooting

They wouldn’t have made the cane if you weren’t meant to break the rules

nattarious ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 5:09 PM

Congratulations Ms! Can't wait as well to see the shooooooooooooots! :D That is a nice start right there! Have a nice day

JOE

NATTARIOUS[C] IS A WELL KNOWN INTERNATIONAL CLUB DJ - PHOTOGRAPHER - GRAPHIC AND COMMERCIAL DESIGNER AND THE OWNER OF XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS & CERTIFIED LEGAL GOLD MICROSOFT PARTNER!

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® OFFICIAL WEBSITE: WWW.XOOM-ARTS.COM

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® Ultimate Web Templates Just Click It

Zacko ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 5:50 PM

WHOOOOOOOORAY FOR YOUUUUUUUUUUU!!!! :woot: YAYAYAYAYAY!!! There´s nothing quite like getting new toys is there? Ooops....of course i meant to say "tools". 😉 Huge congratulations Maria, i´m sure you will love that fine package you got. 😄

How come we say 'It's colder than hell outside' when isn't it realistically always colder than hell since hell is supposed to be fire and brimstone?

Andreas

Mystic Pic

Sans2012 ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 7:35 PM

Ah! That will be a sweet bit of kit for you to snap with. Congrats:)

I never intended to make art.

CavalierLady ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 9:37 PM

Hey, thanks everybody! I appreciate the thumbs up! It's not so much that I didn't "hold back", but I have been paying attention to all the posts at various forums and tried to get the best glass that I could. Had I been buying retail at the local camera shop or buying online at all the favorite suppliers, I couldn't have gotten the canon lenses. I saved enough money by monitoring dozens of auctions, so that I was able to find what I did at somewhat of a bargain.

And yes, to answer your question, I did make sure to get tracking numbers. I have already gotten one of them and I will get the other two once the payment at pay pal is cleared, and the other seller receives my cashier's check. I just pray that they are all on the up and up. They seem to be, as they have dozens, and some hundreds of positive feedback. I made sure I chose what seemed to be reputable buyers. What's odd is that I have received nearly half a dozen "second chance" offers from some of the auctions I didn't win the bids on saying that for one reason or another, the previous transaction couldn't be completed, so they were offering me a chance to buy the item outright. Makes one wonder if some of those winning bids were rigged just to drive up the price. Sure gives one pause to be extra cautious when buying at auction sites!

I'm glad to hear that you think I won't be too disappointed in the 17-85mm lens. One can always find someone at the many forums around the net that will say they thought that the such and such lens being discussed was a piece of *(&^% when others have praised it. And thanks for the heads up on the extreme-IV cards. I didn't even know there was something above a III. I'll be sure and look for them when I go into "the city" to get some of these odds and ends and accessories. I'm excited to get the new "toys/tools" but it will probably be the beginning of next week. So till then, I'll try to decifer some of the details in the pdf manual, since some of the chapters seem to have been written in greek!  :D

Thanks for all your responses, and the smile on my face that they have produced. 

:)   Maria

TomDart ( ) posted Thu, 05 October 2006 at 8:48 AM

I am certain you will love the camera!  I am glad you were able to get what you wanted..

I don't know how the Canon is on battery life..I always keep a spare charged battery in my bag and an extra memory card or two.   Go for it!  have fun!         Tom.

Simon_P ( ) posted Thu, 05 October 2006 at 4:42 PM

I don't know how the Canon is on battery life

Its excellent, can shoot all day on one charge no problems with the camera always in shooting mode, 600 plus shots.

This will reduce with flash usage and IS lenses to some degree depending on how much you uce flash and or IS

They wouldn’t have made the cane if you weren’t meant to break the rules

thundering1 ( ) posted Fri, 06 October 2006 at 11:10 PM

Great system - you'll love it!
And don't worry about having to do manual focusing - Canon's AF is FAST! The only time I imagine you'll have to do it manually is with the 100mm Macro, and when you're THAT close up it'll be prety plain what's in focus and what's not.

Have fun!
-Lew ;-)

Margana ( ) posted Sat, 07 October 2006 at 1:26 AM

Thundering makes a good point and as far as my experience battery life is excellent.

Huge congrats to you!!!I'm sure you will be very happy!

Marlene <")

Marlene S. Piskin Photography
My Blog

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression. The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

danob ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 12:29 PM

Great choices all round here your patience has resulted in some more money you have saved by buying products they may not have done what you wanted... As for the 70-200 L F4 that is a peach I have got this and the Macro both are always in my bag

Danny O'Byrne  http://www.digitalartzone.co.uk/

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.