Sun, Jun 9, 1:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 06 2:26 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: New to Blender

Lenord ( ) posted Sat, 24 June 2006 at 12:16 AM · edited Tue, 20 February 2024 at 4:20 PM

I Have been using a number of different apps to make my Images up untill now, actually I have only been trying to render anything for about 9 or 10 weeks anyway. I just downloaded and installed Blender, I started the Pgm and saw the interface and about $#&% a Brick. the first thing I tried was HELP, and it sent off into www dot Blender Land, which is fine except I'm on dialup and not high speed( refuse to subsidise AT&T, SBC or Cox ). Anyway I finally found the PDF help included with it so I am sure that will help a lot. So I am In need of any Hints, Tips or anything anyone using this Software can offer  to get this poor old boy going on what appears to be a serious rendering application. Thanks in advance and I'll be around, usually several times a day I have turned into a Graphic Arts Junkie since I got started ( even Though I'm not very good at it yet ).

Later Yall

Lenord

Remember...No matter where you go there you are

haloedrain ( ) posted Sat, 24 June 2006 at 1:13 PM · edited Sat, 24 June 2006 at 1:15 PM

The manual is free and online (part 1, part 2), but if you're on dialup you may want to buy a hard copy from the blender store.

Hmm..lesseee, tips...

Spacebar gives you the menu that lets you create new objects.  When you create an object, it will be created in "edit mode"--this allows you to add points, move them around, etc.  If you hit the tab key it'll take you out of edit mode into object mode, or vice versa.

Right mouse button lets you select objects or points.  Left mouse button re-centers the cursor (little red circle with the crosshairs; this is useful when you want to rotate something around a specific point, you can rotate or resize things around the cursor.  If you have a scrollwheel mouse, scrolling the wheel zooms in/out, clicking and holding allows you to rotate your view around whatever is currently the center of view, and shift+middle-clicking allows you to pan the view.

You can't do much in blender without hotkeys.  'R' will rotate and object or vertex (or set of objects/vertices), 'G' moves stuff, and 'S' resizes stuff.

The number pad allows you to change the view (I'm pretty sure you need num lock on).  7 changes to top view, 1 changes to front, 3 is side.  You can view from to opposite side (bottom, back, or other side) if you hit control+the number.  5 toggles you in and out of perspective mode (most modelling should probably be done not in perspective mode, it makes things look strangely warped).  8, 4, 6, and 2 rotate the view around the center of view towards the top, left, right, or bottom, respectively.  Control + 0 let you see from the camera view.

That should get you started, I guess.

oldskoolPunk ( ) posted Sat, 24 June 2006 at 1:31 PM

Yea the interface can seem a little intimidating at first. I am still finding new buttons, and still don't know what alot of them even do :)

I would suggest sticking to an area that you enjoy and are interested in. Everything else will be easier to learn once you have a feel for one part. As you progress, you will begin to see that the interface really isn't as bad as you at first thought. Really it is designed in a way to allow the artist to create what is in his/her mind very quickly. With a huge list of tools literally at your fingertips. Sure there are Hotkeys on top of Hotkeys, but you will learn the tools that you like the best, and the button will remain in your mind. So instead of clicking through 3 different submenus, you can access the tool with a buttonpress. With one hand on the keyboard and one hand on your mouse, you will soon be waiting on your masterpeice to render, while the "other guy" is still looking for just the right tool in his $3000 application.

The link at the top of the forum is full of awesome stuff to get you started. Here is another list of excelent Blender-specific tutorials. I hope to see some stuff from you in the Blender gallery soon!

haloedrain ( ) posted Sat, 24 June 2006 at 5:46 PM

Attached Link: http://haloedrain.ha.funpic.org/blender_links/linklist.php

Actually, the header link should go [here](http://haloedrain.ha.funpic.org/blender_links/linklist.php).  Sorry about that...working on getting it fixed.

Lenord ( ) posted Sat, 24 June 2006 at 6:14 PM

Hey, Thanks guys, yeah I'm going to buy a hard copy manual. I started to download one in print version and about half way through(I don't know about forever) my %&^%ing Computer locked up. I guess thats what happens when your on a shoestring Budget. Any I have started messin around with it and am really excited about it, have wanted to get complicated with lighting effects. I really can't do much with what I have been using when it comes to reflections and so forth but learned some tricks to compensate. Wish I had gotten into Graphic arts and Rendering a long time ago but you know how wishes go. It shouldn't be long before I get some results worth showing, I have a lot in different stages of completion I'll probably finish up first though. Again thanks really appreciate any help offered.

Later

Lenord

Remember...No matter where you go there you are

oodmb ( ) posted Wed, 28 June 2006 at 1:19 AM

for lighting effects there is a little secret it took me a long time to learn.  when using yafray and wanting caustics, do not use a photon emiter, rather, use an area light.  turn on yafray GI to full, enable cache and photons, and turn refinement down to .001

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.