Sat, Jun 1, 5:29 AM CDT

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 28 10:58 am)

Subject: A Tutorial of Sorts on Masking

CavalierLady ( ) posted Wed, 12 April 2006 at 4:13 PM · edited Mon, 27 May 2024 at 2:25 AM

Attached Link: Creating Masks in Ultra Fractal

Hi Folks...

A few days ago, I was helping someone who had asked for some UF help, and they also wanted some idea on how to create masks, as they were having a hard time with it, in spite of reading other tutorials. I ended up writing a tutorial for this person, rather than email back and forth. It seems to have helped as I heard back with an emailed image that did have a masked layer in it. ( great going, M...👍 )

I also had Heather take a look at it, and she thought it was ok for others that might be having a hard time with learning how to create masks in Ultra Fractal. (thanks, Heather!...:)...) Bear in mind that I have never written a tutorial in my life, so you might think it is complete drivel.  😊 But hopefully not! I tried to remember back how confused I was at first by the many things that UF could do, and all that I needed to learn, and write it from that perspective. So, for anyone that would like some help with masking, here's where you can find the tutorial that I wrote:

http://cavalierladyfractals.com/UFmasks.1.htm

It only seems fair to offer it to anyone needing a little help along the way, as I had so many great teachers on the UF List when I first started, for which I am very grateful. Hopefully, this will help someone else along the way that is just starting out with UF. It's very basic, nothing fancy.  (If the server should be too busy, just try again later, but hopefully, that won't be the case.)

Thanks for your time.

Maria

sofie-filo ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 3:48 AM

That's a great tutorial, Maria.

Thank you for the announcement and making it public available on your webpage.

Jos Boogen

Mags61 ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 6:46 AM · edited Thu, 13 April 2006 at 6:46 AM

Since it was me that Maria was very kindly helping I can vouch for this tutorial.  I successfully created a fractal with a masked layer for the first time after going through this tutorial only once!  Maria - you're a star!  I sincerely recommend anyone having masking problems to have a look at this tutorial as I'm sure you would find it most helpful.

Thanks again Maria for all your help.

Mags

We don't cease to play because we grow old, we grow old because we cease to play.

kepp ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 4:00 PM

thx a lot maria

i dont know if i have the ability to use youre tutorial but i shall be having a go

missie_mandelbrot ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 6:13 PM

I would recommend Maria's tutorial to everyone, whether you know how to mask or not :thumbupboth:

I’m impressed with her hard work. I had a feeling from the very start of being taught by a professional with much patience, understanding and kindness. Her first page is a real encouragement to anyone who has struggled with UF and the fact that she is sympathetic and sharing her experiences too makes this tutorial very relaxed and very personal. It’s very well laid out and the way she encourages you to experiment by “toggle this button”, “move this slider”, “try this” and so on is very valuable and helps you lose the fear of touching areas of UF many would never dare to go. 

The way it’s laid out on her website is brilliant, allowing the viewer to move forwards and backwards at any stage. Being able to move back a step is again is of great value to anyone who may not have quite understood the previous step. 

I leant something new too. Many thanks Maria. I’ve got to thank you loads for that very valuable piece of information 😉

Overall I'd give her 10/10 for a very informative and valuable tutorial.

Thanks again Maria :biggrin: for sharing this with us.

Heather

tresamie ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 9:09 PM

Thanks for the great tutorial, Maria!  I think you covered the problem quite well, as well as showing people how to study a UPR for technique 😄

May we link this tutorial to the community page?  I think it would be very useful for many people.

~Vivian

Fractals will always amaze me!

Pannyhb ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 10:44 AM

I just read this and it is a beautiful tutorial, Maria!  I'd certainly recommend it (and I've saved that par for future study, too:)

This will be a great help to anyone who would like to figure out just what a mask does, and why!

Panny

eras50 ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 12:50 PM

I just read the tutorial and I can't wait to practice it. You have been very generous to post it for all of us, thank you, Maria.

In my case, the trouble is I can't paste the upr. I get a mail bug warning and I don't know how to go around this. I wonder wether anyone else has had the same problem. I would be grateful if someone told me how to solve it.

Thanks again for your wonderful tutorial.

Ersi.

CavalierLady ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 2:34 PM · edited Fri, 14 April 2006 at 2:35 PM

Hi Everyone....

Thanks for your comments.  I don't know how good a tutorial it is, I was just trying to help Mags out.  And when she said she was successful, I thought that since it's on the website anyway, I might as well offer it to anyone is who is just starting out with Ultra Fractal.  Thanks for your compliments, Jos, Mags, Kepp, Heather, Vivian, Panny, and Ersi.

Vivian, certainly, y'all feel free to post a link on the community page.  It will be on my site till I make any major revisions or shut the site down.  So feel free.  And thanks for that.

Ersi, I can't imagine why you weren't able to paste it.  I went to the site and tried it myself and it worked.  If you will send me your email address, I'll mail the UPR to you personally, and you can see if that helps.

:)

Maria

abmlober ( ) posted Mon, 17 April 2006 at 7:16 AM

Hi Maria,

I like your tutorial. 👍
If you add a hint that one can use more than one mask for a single layer it would be perfect.
😄

Best regards,
Andreas

:rolleyes::sad:
Joy of Frax

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.