Tue, May 21, 9:49 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 19 9:23 pm)

Subject: Creating bioluminescence with P6 shader nodes?

Connatic ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 10:32 PM

file_222164.jpg

A render with Gather illuminating with Anton's Majik spheres. No lightsources.

byAnton ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 11:24 PM

Oh so very cool. I love that. This year is going to be so very interesting too I think.

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

Tiny ( ) posted Wed, 20 April 2005 at 2:16 AM

Finally you can have a figure carry a candle in a dark room and it'll look real. That ought to work right?

byAnton ( ) posted Wed, 20 April 2005 at 3:06 AM

Attached Link: P6 Lighting without Lights

Sure. I was just playing with lighting effects

"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Dale B ( ) posted Wed, 20 April 2005 at 5:49 AM

Quick, someone hide the thread! All Nalif has to do is shift his color pallette towards the orange, throw a couple of Davo's SFCS sections around it, and we'll be buried under every clueless wannabe who =wants= to make Final Fantasy:TSI with Poser!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!! That felt better. :P Now if we can find the shader formula to clear up the noise a bit, we'd really be cooking with gas...

Connatic ( ) posted Wed, 20 April 2005 at 6:48 AM

It seems the "noise" decreases with an increase in the sample variable. A Wacro to add Gather to all parts of an object and/or every object and prop in a scene would be useful. Time to try something with 2 different-colored light-props! The possibilities of making animations with animated gather-lights.....candle-flames, torches, etc.

Tucan-Tiki ( ) posted Thu, 21 April 2005 at 9:53 PM

Do one of earth with a glowing atmostphere event horrison.

byAnton ( ) posted Thu, 21 April 2005 at 10:13 PM

You wouldn't need the gather node for that. But you could use Gather to have a sun or explosion illuminate planets/surroundings.

byAnton ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2005 at 2:02 PM

AKmaterialroombookmark

jewell ( ) posted Tue, 17 May 2005 at 7:36 PM

nalif, those are some spiff images with Davo's critters. I keep planning to find the time to play with these and failing, darn it.

Nalif ( ) posted Tue, 17 May 2005 at 8:12 PM

I've always loved Davo's creatures, but their age is starting to show. If ever I get good enough at modeling, and find the time, maybe I'll try my hand at remaking them :)

jewell ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 6:58 PM

well, the glowing look certainly helps them quite a bit. :)

neotekian ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 12:51 AM

I am surprised that this thread has been here so long and we still haven't seen a single lightsaber! No Star Wars fanatics here I "gather" (puns are fun)

judee3d ( ) posted Thu, 02 June 2005 at 4:56 AM

Great stuff! Bookmarking

ghoyle1 ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 3:22 PM

What are the settings used for Davo's bioluminescent critters?

dante ( ) posted Sat, 20 August 2005 at 12:17 AM

Bookmarking... Is there a step by step tut of this gather thing?

ghoyle1 ( ) posted Sat, 20 August 2005 at 1:04 AM

I'd like to see that myself. I must be missing something, because I can't replicate these effects.

dante ( ) posted Sun, 21 August 2005 at 9:13 AM

Come on you wonderful magicians show us how you do it....

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 22 August 2005 at 1:33 AM

file_222166.jpg

Step 1 was in Message 6 of this thread. Add that gather node to the object you want the ambient light to show up on. Then add an object with a high ambient channel set to 1 and turn on Ray Tracing in your render settings. You might have to fiddle with the MaxDist (I set my MaxDist to 12 instead of 4 like the screen cap in message 6) settings to get the ground to reflect that ambient light but I got this image with no lights a ground prop with gather node, a Hi Res Spere with Gather node and a cylinder with a hi ambient texture on it. The only light sorce is the ambience channel of the Cylinder.

dante ( ) posted Mon, 22 August 2005 at 2:47 PM

Cool...Tks a lot

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 22 August 2005 at 5:14 PM

PS - I have the same texture node that was used in the diffuse channel of the cylinder plugged into the ambient channel of the cylinder so that the whole texture glows. Then the ambient was set to pure white in the color selector.

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 22 August 2005 at 6:16 PM

I finally got it to work. A simple ball with a red ambient color and ambient value set to 1 (I left the rest at default values), resting on the ground plane (shadow catch only off, texture map connected). Default Gather node plugged into the Ambient input of the ground root shader, ambient color white and ambient value set to 1. Works. The Gather node also works when plugged in Translucence, Alternate Diffuse or Alternate Specular. It won't work in regular Diffuse or Specular.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 12:54 PM

Nalif.. Any chance of getting the material-settings for your beautiful bio-something critters? I LOVE and ADORE that semitransparent glowing effect!

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

semidieu ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 2:46 PM

Yes... for me too... please... And great thread using the gather node.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 4:10 PM

Ditto!

Larry F ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 5:54 PM

Poser 6 newbie here! Me too, me three!

shadownet ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 7:21 PM

BM

Dave ( ) posted Mon, 06 February 2006 at 3:08 PM

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 6:32 AM

Just bookmarking this for Anton.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 9:14 AM

Yup yet another bookmark, rats now I don't want to go to school I want to play!!!!! Marque

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 10:34 AM

LOL! Yeah this is the thread I meant for your neon cross. Glad to see you found it already.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 1:52 PM

Quote - I don't want to go to school I want to play!!!!!

Put your face near the computer screen and I'll cough!! Maybe you can catch my cold/flu, LOL

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 12:45 AM

file_222167.jpg

*sigh* I want so much to do this, but there isn't enough information being given for me to understand. I don't get anything like the above images. Can someone explain it better and in more detail?

svdl ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 3:54 AM

OK, here we go. Let's start with something simple, a ball and a box. We're going to make the ball glow and the box will catch the glow. 1) Start a new empty scene and create a ball prop and a box prop. Put the ball on top of the box. 2) The ball will be the light emitter. Set its ambient color to something else than black, and the ambient value to 1. 3) The box will be the light receiver. Connect a Gather node to its ambient color channel, make sure that Max Distance is large enough (from each point on the box a ray should reach past the ball), set the ambient value to 1. 4) Delete all lights. Enable raytracing and render. Hope this helps, Steven.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 4:07 AM

That didn't work :( I ended up with a pink ball sitting on a black box.

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 4:14 AM

file_222168.jpg

Here is a screenshot of my material room and the results:

svdl ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 4:14 AM

Maybe increase the number of raytrace bounces? Two bounces should work.

svdl ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 4:15 AM

Ah, I see it. Set the Ambient color on the box to white too. WHen it's black, the color produced by the Gather node is multiplied by "black" - which is zero.

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 4:28 AM

file_222169.jpg

So anything that is coloured black is like a black hole and sucks in all light? Ok, I think I can remember that :) Ok, I changed the ambient colour of the box to white and achieved the result of the glow on the box!! :) Thank you :) Now if I wanted to do this on say a wall, I would connect the gather node to the wall? What about if I wanted a figure holding a glowing orb in her/his hand, or floating above them...how would I get the glow to affect their body/hands etc.?

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 4:35 AM

Same as with the box: Connect a gather nodes to the hands/arms/ whatever :o) Mind you, I haven't tried it yet, but...

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 1:17 PM · edited Wed, 08 February 2006 at 1:18 PM

Connect the gather node to the ambient channel of the appropriate body or clothing parts.

Message edited on: 02/08/2006 13:18

jonthecelt ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 3:38 PM

For what it's worth, you don't have to plug the gather node into the ambient channel. Alt. diffuse or alt. specular work just as well. You get some interesting results plugging it into the bump or displacement channels, too... :) By using the alt. diffuse/spec channels, you don't have to remember the whole thing about changing the ambient settings - both channels automatically set themselves to white when you plug anything into them. Of course, if you're being complicated in your material setup, and already have nodes plugged into the alt channels, then maybe ambient IS the better course of action. But it's nice to know there are alternatives; if you have a blocked node, then you can always chuck it in somewhere else... jonthecelt

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 3:44 PM

That's good to know. I was playing last night and applied a satin texture to the ball and the texture took the ambient channel plus 2 or 3 others, and I didn't know where to plugin the Gather Node because it seems it's only one node per channel and if I unplugged the texture from the ambient channel and put in the gather node, the texture turned totally black.

jonthecelt ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 4:18 PM

Into which inputs, mizrael? I'm not sure I can think of any of the inputs in the gather node which would make sense plugging, for example, a texture map into... jonthecelt

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 4:36 PM

Ok, I thought it had a channel with a color assignd. Ignore that last post I was wrong. Next time I'll look before I leap to that conclusion. My appologies.

jonthecelt ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 4:44 PM

I did wonder if you could use a math_function node to combine to other nodes. I know face_off suggests doing it with ambient occlusion if you have inputs into either alt diffuse or alt specular (since they have no 'value' setting to plug into, use a math_function set to multiply - value 1 at 1, connected to whatever you had in the channel originally, value 2 also at 1, connected to the ambient occlusion node). Whether this would work elsewhere I don't know - and of course, if you're using colour, you might want to use colour_math instead of a plain math_function, which desaturates all its output. jonthecelt

byAnton ( ) posted Thu, 09 February 2006 at 11:58 PM

Attached Link: Gather Node settings examples.

See this thread for great reference on settings.

Arien ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2006 at 6:05 PM

bm!

My store

jonthecelt ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2006 at 6:55 PM

Arien... you the same delightful lass doing such magnificent work texturing fredrik's models over in the DAZ freepozitory? Love your work, milady... :) jonthecelt

Arien ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2006 at 7:13 PM

Aye, that be me. Trying to pick up new tricks for using on those poor models :P

My store

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.