Tue, Apr 30, 5:08 AM CDT

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 30 1:53 am)

Subject: How to make morphs in DAZ for use on Poser figures?

titleknown ( ) posted Sat, 30 July 2022 at 4:53 AM · edited Fri, 26 April 2024 at 4:02 AM

Hey, I'm mainly a DAZ user, but I also use a lot of Poser models in DAZ, and I kinda need help with something.

You see, I've been making morphs for my DAZ models, using the usual "export as .obj, put in Blender, re-sculpt, import as morph using Morph Loader Pro,, ect" and once I worked out the common pitfalls it's worked fine for DAZ-specific figures in making abominations.

Like so:si7aoL9i2b86XBcn6ZSiERh8OCFlPQpNHQEwZp9Q.png

But, whenever I try to do this process for a Poser-based figure I get "No deltas for morph, skipping node." and a morph that does totally nothing! What do I do to get these morphs to work for my Poser models? And if it's impossible to do it like that within DAZ, what program would I have to use to make working morphs for Poser figures in DAZ?

Thank you, I really hope y'all can help.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sat, 30 July 2022 at 3:30 PM

What are your import settings?

titleknown ( ) posted Sat, 30 July 2022 at 9:36 PM

You mean for DAZ importing/using Poser figures or importing .obj files to use as morphs? Because, the latter's basically standard, the former I have no idea about, haven't touched it.

titleknown ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2022 at 7:48 PM · edited Wed, 03 August 2022 at 7:48 PM

Here's the Import settings I use on Morph Loader Pro if that's what you were looking for?

GG1Fm4541eRkCya3Y5VGODLsTCEmxYw2JZAenGPE.png

They work perfectly fine on DAZ figures, not on these! But, again, if you're talking about a setting in how DAZ handles Poser figures, I have no idea how to use it, or how it would affect loading morphs?

Liquid_Ice ( ) posted Tue, 09 August 2022 at 8:40 PM

in principle daz studio will have to treat the poser models the same as daz studio models.

Are you certain you didnt cut or add vertices in the poser models?

titleknown ( ) posted Fri, 19 August 2022 at 1:58 AM

I'm positive, especially since when I screw up the geometry of DAZ models I get a completely different statement, namely "
Warning: Geometry did not match, failed to create morph." which is different than the kind I mentioned above I get with Poser models. IDK if it's something about them or just me messing up something when exporting.importing them?

Liquid_Ice ( ) posted Sat, 20 August 2022 at 4:13 AM

if that happens, then you changed the geometry, so it will not match. It is not the import settings but the things you do in Blender that changes the geometry.

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 21 August 2022 at 5:30 PM · edited Sun, 21 August 2022 at 5:31 PM

Not a DS user, well very occasionally, but I'm a Poser user that uses Blender to make morphs quite a bit.

When I import the model I choose do not split and keep vertex order.

When I export I only check keep vertex order.

Maybe the original vertex order is getting scrambled? It's important that this winding order is maintained. There's Poser only scripts that record an objects winding order and rebuild it by comparing during a reimport as morph target or FBM. Not sure if DS has such.

titleknown ( ) posted Mon, 29 August 2022 at 8:45 PM · edited Mon, 29 August 2022 at 8:45 PM

primorge posted at 5:30 PM Sun, 21 August 2022 - #4443107

Not a DS user, well very occasionally, but I'm a Poser user that uses Blender to make morphs quite a bit.

When I import the model I choose do not split and keep vertex order.

When I export I only check keep vertex order.

Maybe the original vertex order is getting scrambled? It's important that this winding order is maintained. There's Poser only scripts that record an objects winding order and rebuild it by comparing during a reimport as morph target or FBM. Not sure if DS has such.

Unfortunately, I have done that stuff with vertex order when importing, no dice. I had that problem with DAZ figures to be sure, and that did take some figuring out, but it does work when I change those settings for them. Not so for Poser models.

Here's the Export settings from DAZ

AshRXQAkndpwu8AIc5onOOlqZ5JMstmcvVTqQ3fE.png

Here's how I import it to Blender:

1koOtTuTF54KmUCExFInoifwB7vR1IIcvxIKnGwg.png

And here's how I export it from Blender:

JJZ7Ep3UFUFzIPBTcseZNnsZBvcZOt3dT6C0SY3r.png

Are there any problems there? The model I'm experimenting with RN for this is Infogal, for the record, tho I was also trying it with Dodger's Warforged model.

Liquid_Ice ( ) posted Sun, 04 September 2022 at 9:03 AM

The im-and export are okay, i think the problem is that you change the geometry when sculpting in Blender.

titleknown ( ) posted Mon, 12 September 2022 at 7:32 PM

Problem with that is, I use the same methods on both DAZ and Poser models, and it works perfectly fine on the DAZ ones! The only thing I could think of on the morphs would be the Dynamic Topology toggle, but that's always set to off.

What other factors in the Blender morph tools might be doing that, and why does it not seem to affect the DAZ figures in that way?

PendraiaFaeCreations ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2022 at 6:50 PM

I've been exporting objects to Poser from DS for clothing recently. I had an issue when I put sub div levels to base and had to reexport the object so the mesh resolution was base but left the sub div levels alone.

The other thing I noticed is that when you go to export injection files it also swaps where the browser goes to when importing a fbm for a figure. So make sure you're looking in the right spot.

The other thing looking at your morph is did you need to realign the bones in DS? If so you might need to do something similar in Poser. 

DaremoK3 ( ) posted Sat, 08 October 2022 at 1:37 AM · edited Sat, 08 October 2022 at 1:37 AM

titleknown :

Your import/export settings for both software are incorrect.

For morph target work you don't need most of those settings  --  You only need what is required for morph target work;  The facet and vertex data (technically, just vertex [delta changed] point cloud data, but with a caveat for Poser Legacy Figures).

And, while your work-flow worked for Genesis figures, you were just off by one setting in your Blender export to have it work for Poser Legacy Figures in Daz Studio.

Below is how to achieve a successfully applied morph on Dodger's Warforged in Daz Studio that was created in Blender.

I am using Daz Studio 4.12 and Blender 2.93, but the basic I/O settings for both software should be roughly the same.

* DS OBJ export settings;  Only select 'Ignore Visible Nodes', 'Write Faces', and 'Write Groups'.  *** Uncheck all other settings.

* Blender OBJ import settings;  Only select under 'Geometry' :  'Keep Vert Order' , and 'Poly Groups'.  *** Uncheck all other settings.

Create your morph, and then export.

* Blender OBJ export settings;  Only select under 'Geometry' : 'Keep Vert Order', and 'Polygroups' (this is what is needed for 1:1 mesh data transfer fidelity for the Poser Legacy Figures to work in DS -- Not needed with Genesis unimesh)  --  Also, if using Shape Key non-destructive morphing technique, you need to enable 'Apply Modifiers' for the morph deltas to be written to file (but take care not to have any other modifiers enabled in Blender [such as Sub-D] as they will apply as well)  --  And, lastly, under 'Include' : 'Selection Only' if there are any other objects in your scene.  *** Uncheck all other settings.

DS OBJ export settings:

wDZfzUww7n9G7cbZgecxt5n6Mybm9yEVPOqvYtwz.jpg

Blender OBJ import settings:

9h48i44b5SCoUwQabUPJSEpJTyqRLf4kmPmYpNBQ.jpg

Blender Shape Key non-destructive morph:

pco3uYZXOFna5iNkZ8SscYXXhRyCJEE4kqt9H1HJ.jpg

Blender OBJ export settings:

geTzKsxNMydDhGzOlNv2YyhGzy8G60kOZjo9PYIR.jpg

DS Morph Loader Pro import:

1JIZlAz2OlNUH203CNURD2W92SdzNKkDz8m8R1FR.jpg

DS MLP import success:

lLzDNPagALr5QfkWzwUflGI1WUDwxkzOhEScO96S.jpg

DS successfully loaded morph applied:

LDHzApDAVu0D6mGy7C5fQjaGmHg6SY4W8BfqX3fo.jpg

*** As an aside; For the "No deltas for morph, skipping node." error  --  This was due to not having the polygroups designated to the facet data in the Blender export file (not needed with Genesis figures).

This can happen with Genesis meshes as well in use cases such as using the SK morphing technique and forgetting to set the Apply Modifiers flag.  There would be no changed deltas in the vertex data, and you would get the same error.

Hope this all helps.

Take care...

Ken

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.