Sat, May 18, 8:28 PM CDT

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

MarketPlace Showcase F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 18 8:11 pm)

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum. The Showcase Forum and Gallery are intended for all commercial related postings by active Renderosity MarketPlace Vendors only. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review in greater detail the various art products, software and resource site subscriptions available for purchase in the Renderosity MarketPlace.

Subject: WIP post-apocalyptic wind train engine

Michael_C ( ) posted Tue, 07 April 2020 at 5:58 PM · edited Thu, 02 May 2024 at 4:37 PM

I recently re-read Sean McMullen's unique Greatwinter trilogy and was inspired to visualize the wind train described in the novels. The wind train engine is powered by a set of rotors to catch the wind. These can be raised or lowered into the car to control speed. A complicated rigging system holds the rotors vertical and balances the engine in high winds. This is an early image of the interior in development:

Eng WIP 16.jpg

And an untextured toon render: Toon 1.png

My Store - My Gallery - My Freebies - My Web Site

Michael_C ( ) posted Sat, 11 April 2020 at 10:29 AM

While the engine is described as complex with masts, booms, cables, the passenger cars are simple. Here are a couple of early toon renders: Pass WIP 4.jpg

Pass WIP 6.jpg

Michael_C ( ) posted Wed, 15 April 2020 at 8:42 AM

Low quality render of partially textured wind engine: WIP 1 (2).png The engine has a working heliograph on the roof platform for signaling. There is also a set of operating wind instruments.

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Wed, 15 April 2020 at 5:31 PM

Neat idea, I'll have to read the book(s)

Michael_C ( ) posted Thu, 16 April 2020 at 8:31 AM

Do read them. I read the trilogy for the first time many years ago, and found they held up to my second reading this year. The first book, Souls in the Great Machine, is almost startling in tis originality. It's a very different post-apocalyptic novel depicting a society where "Dragon Librarians" hold the real power because the library, Libris, has maintained the knowledge of the past, but where disputes are settle by duels. Steam and electrical power are forbidden and Libris, has established a computer, the Calculor, that operates with human component. Through this all a mysterious "Call" periodically turns everyone into a mindless wanderer. In my opinion, the second and third books, which expand the world from Australia to North America and provide more of a back story, are not quite as good but I was intrigued by the characters and carried along nicely.

Michael_C ( ) posted Fri, 17 April 2020 at 5:26 PM

The wind train is imagined but it's imagined with actual historical parts. For instance, it incorporates wood-core Mansell wheels that were designed in the 1800s. Here are two renders of the Wind Engine with one side hidden. In the second the wind rotors are lowered into the engine.

WEopen.png

WEopen down.png

Michael_C ( ) posted Mon, 20 April 2020 at 12:49 PM

Here's a render of the second class passenger car with the side hidden to show the interior. The seat backs flip to face rearward. PC side hide.png

I'm still finishing some of the rigging.

Michael_C ( ) posted Wed, 22 April 2020 at 2:35 PM

Here's a fully-textured render of the passenger car:

PassneCar.png

And one of a 2-car train on the broad-gauge track: Train 2 W.png

Everything is pretty well finished now and into final testing and kitting.

Michael_C ( ) posted Sun, 26 April 2020 at 9:47 AM

The Wind Train uses a historically accurate broad gauge track developed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel in the 1800s. The gauge (or width) is seven feet vs. the standard four foot eight inch gauge. The Brunel railway is also distinguished by longitudinal running under the rails and tied together by lateral transoms with tie rods. The Brunel track looks very different from standard rail.

Broad gauge rail dirt bed.png

The Wind Train includes a set of morphing track with several kinds of roadbed.

Michael_C ( ) posted Sun, 10 May 2020 at 10:16 AM

The Wind Train is now in the Marketplace:

MarketThumb (50kmax).jpg

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.