Wed, May 29, 6:45 AM CDT

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 28 10:57 am)

Subject: Can someone point me to a good lighting tut for 4.9?

drifterlee ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2016 at 5:33 PM ยท edited Sun, 26 May 2024 at 5:16 AM

Can someone point me to a good lighting tut for 4.9? The ones on the Internet even at Daz are for older versions of Studio and the interface has changed. I tried to follow some of them but being new to Studio does not help me. A basic lighting tut would be good for Studio. Some of the building figures and environments have no lights in them. I'm not too good at adding lighting in the rooms. Poser was no problem. Thanks

Tirenzi3D ( ) posted Fri, 29 January 2016 at 12:52 AM

You may want to download this starter scene and observe what is possible with Iray and maybe work from there:

http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/art/Iray-Scene-For-Time-Benchmarks-519528033

drifterlee ( ) posted Fri, 29 January 2016 at 7:11 AM

Thank you!!!!!

ldgilman ( ) posted Fri, 29 January 2016 at 9:39 PM

I agree...THANK YOU!!!!!

bhoins ( ) posted Sat, 30 January 2016 at 7:02 PM

Best way to learn lighting in Iray is to use photographic lighting tutorials.

Tirenzi3D ( ) posted Sat, 30 January 2016 at 10:03 PM

bhoins posted at 10:01PM Sat, 30 January 2016 - #4252238

Not only! i agree if you say that one only uses an HDRI, that is not good anymore, you can set the HDRI intensity very low and use photometric lights. The more lights the faster iray renders ( so i have heard). But dont underestimate the power of the Sun-Sky light, i think that one is most powerfull but for a lot of people also the hardest.

bhoins ( ) posted Sat, 30 January 2016 at 11:23 PM

Tirenzi3D posted at 10:21PM Sat, 30 January 2016 - #4252270

bhoins posted at 10:01PM Sat, 30 January 2016 - #4252238

Not only! i agree if you say that one only uses an HDRI, that is not good anymore, you can set the HDRI intensity very low and use photometric lights. The more lights the faster iray renders ( so i have heard). But dont underestimate the power of the Sun-Sky light, i think that one is most powerfull but for a lot of people also the hardest.

I think you misunderstood. I said photographic, not photometric.

There are hundreds of books and tutorials on how to light a subject, indoors or out, for photography. It is the exact same set of skills to light a subject in Iray

Tirenzi3D ( ) posted Sat, 30 January 2016 at 11:59 PM

I am sorry i indeed misread it, i have been up way too long sorry:) but still good info

bhoins ( ) posted Sun, 31 January 2016 at 8:56 PM

Tirenzi3D posted at 7:56PM Sun, 31 January 2016 - #4252289

I am sorry i indeed misread it, i have been up way too long sorry:) but still good info

No problem. I just wanted to be clear. :)

evilded777 ( ) posted Wed, 10 February 2016 at 12:58 PM ยท edited Wed, 10 February 2016 at 12:59 PM

Wow...I made a list. I'm humbled.

I'll have a new example up soon, I'm about 1/4 of the way through writing it. You can see the image the example created in my gallery its called Cuddle 2 and there are two versions out there.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.