Fri, Mar 29, 4:11 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Mar 28 8:52 am)

Subject: How do I direct the Library to to my Runtime folder?

MikeMoss ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2015 at 3:36 PM ยท edited Sun, 24 March 2024 at 9:04 AM

Hi

This is an extension of another post but I have a very specific question this time.

I've found that my problem was that, Poser is looking in the wrong location for my Runtime folder, (it's looking for a folder that doesn't exist) and as a result it says that nothing is installed.

I can get around this by making a new Library folder that does point to my Runtime folder, (which is in my Poser directory) but it always shows both the default one and the one that I created.

My question is, there must be a place somewhere that I can direct my Default Poser Library folder to my Runtime location. Is there a preferences file someplace that I can edit or something?

Does anyone know how to do this?

The weird thing is that Poser installs everything to the correct location, but the Library does't get the message!

Mike

If you shoot a mime, do you need a silencer?

Kazam561 ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2015 at 3:55 PM

Hello again. When you click on the button in the right hand upper corner (looks like a folder with a plus) you can direct Poser to add a library from any location

AddLibrary.jpg

You direct it to the library folder you choose to add.

The dust settled, thinking "what a fine home, at least for now" not realizing that doom would soon be coming in the form of a vacuum cleaner.

Kazam561 ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2015 at 3:57 PM

AddLibrary2.jpg

And you can see the details of the library when you highlight it.

The dust settled, thinking "what a fine home, at least for now" not realizing that doom would soon be coming in the form of a vacuum cleaner.

Kazam561 ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2015 at 4:02 PM ยท edited Tue, 20 October 2015 at 4:04 PM

Here's a quote directly from msg24_7 in a response posted on another forum elsewhere (different website). He explains it neater than I could.

You can edit LibraryPrefs.xml using any texteditor. It takes two minutes to rearrange all your external runtimes. Just make sure you close Poser before editing the file and make a back-up of the file. On Windows those files are located at ... Poser 8: c:Documents and SettingsUserApplication DataPoser8.0 PoserPro 2010: c:Documents and SettingsUserApplication DataPoser Pro2.0

For every connected Runtime you'll find a line looking like this: ContentFolder folder="path to runtime" index="1" searchIndexed="1" Now you can cut and paste all those lines to your liking and change the index numbers accordingly.

That's in response to sorting multiple runtimes which depending on the number of runtimes you have might help. You could in theory move the other Poser library to the bottom of your list.

MikeMoss ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2015 at 9:11 PM

Hi

I've already done your first suggestion and that worked fine. I'm just disturbed by things that don't work right, so I hate having the default Library staring my in the face and saying that nothing is installed every time I open the Library Pallet.

I'll go and check on the second option.

Mike

MikeMoss ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2015 at 9:18 PM

I found the file an copied it to my desktop. I'll see if I can figure out what I'm supposed to do and modify this one.

Then I'll change the name on the original one and paste this on in.

I'll let you know if it works.

Mike

MikeMoss ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2015 at 9:33 PM

Hi

Thanks a lot for the help, that worked great.

I first just move the bad line to the bottom and the correct one to the top. When I saw that they showed that way in Poser, I deleted the bad one and now everything it back to normal.

Only the Working Runtime shows in the Library. Woo Hoo!!!

Mike

heddheld ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2015 at 3:34 AM

just use the remove runtime button to delete oneremove runtime.JPG

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2015 at 6:43 AM

heddeld - he wanted to delete the main poser library which is not permitted. Doing it by editing the file was the right way.

Mike. When you installed poser, it asked you where the main runtime was going to be. Thereafter, the first entry in the file was pointing there.

There are actually TWO main runtimes - one in the program folder where the executable is (the "legacy" location), and one outside in a documents folder (modern location and the default when you install). For a long time, since Microsoft Vista, it has been difficult to support an application that writes content into its program folder, i.e. the legacy way. Even worse is if OTHER applications (such as installers) try to write there - the files get magically moved to a shadow location that is yet a 3rd place in the equation.

Now - when you install, or reinstall, there is an option to choose where your main runtime is (including the legacy choice). I do not understand how you got it pointing one place but using another, because during that step it writes the prefs file to record the main content runtime location.

Note that the legacy runtime folder, located where the program exists, is still there even if that isn't your chosen CONTENT folder. It is used for scripts and dlls and other stuff that is "executed" and therefore deserves the higher level of protection afforded the "Program Files" folder tree. You should NOT be putting any content in there except when you absolutely have no other choice.

There are numerous inaccuracies constantly flung about regarding all this, so be careful what you read and believe.

For example, the instruction "Now you can cut and paste all those lines to your liking and change the index numbers accordingly." is misleading you. I wrote the library that reads those lines. It doesn't pay any attention to those index numbers. They are there as a legacy format consequence of how Poser 7 stored the XML data. Poser 8 and up do not look at the index numbers, so you can sort them by just moving - no editing of each index is necessary.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

heddheld ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2015 at 9:52 AM

opps sorry Mike ......I add and remove folders (runtimes) quite often ......but hardly ever even look in poser content.......you don't even get the icon on THAT folder ;-)

MikeMoss ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2015 at 11:37 PM ยท edited Wed, 21 October 2015 at 11:44 PM

Well it's all working now, I'll create a new Runitme it makes it easier to fined the stuff if it isn't mixed in with everything else anyway.

I have no idea why it installed everything to the correct folder and looked someplace else but it may be some fluke related to Windows 10 or the fact that I was installing to a new directory and it picked something up from the old install.

Though that Runtime wasn't in the indicated location either.

Thanks again for the help.

Mike

MikeMoss ( ) posted Thu, 22 October 2015 at 10:35 AM

Hi

One last post on this just to let everyone know how weird it is. After getting everything working I placed some new items in the Downloads folder.

They didn't show up in Poser!

So then next thing I did was create a brand new Runtime folder named My Runtime, (I did this in Poser by clicking the new Folder option in the library pallet and direcing it to place it in my Poser folder) and when I looked it was right there in the Poser directory, I figure this has to work.

When I added to it I found that the items still didn't show up in Poser.

Finally I went back to the Library Preferences file, and I see that the folder that I just created is shown as being in a location on Drive C:\ not Drive D:\ in spite of the fact that it just made it on D:.

So I deleted it from the preferences file, and then seeing that the same thing had happened to the Downloads folder (it was shown as being on drive C:), I manually changed the address for it to where it really is in my Poser folder, saved the file, and when I opened Poser back up, everything was correct.

The things I had added to the Downloads folder were shown and it's all back to normal.

I have no idea why it identifies the Runtime folder that I created on my D:\ drive as being on the C:\ drive. But now that I know what's happening I can manage it.

Mike

3DFineries ( ) posted Thu, 22 October 2015 at 12:51 PM

Did you click the refresh button inside the folders? Can't post an image right now as I had to uninstall my Flash temporarily but there should be a refresh button there to refresh your content.

Have a creative day!

My Lil' Store

MikeMoss ( ) posted Thu, 22 October 2015 at 1:40 PM

Hi

Yes I did that, but it still points to someplace that the folder isn't unless I go in and put the correct address in manually. Pretty weird I've never had this happen before and I've had Poser since version 3.

Mike

3DFineries ( ) posted Thu, 22 October 2015 at 3:23 PM

That is odd. Maybe something went wonky in the Library Preferences file again. I just had an issue with Flash I had to fix. Not sure how I managed it either. ๐Ÿ˜†

Have a creative day!

My Lil' Store

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.