Thu, May 16, 8:21 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 16 7:17 am)

Subject: which video card for using Poser Pro ?

Michael_REMY ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2013 at 8:34 AM · edited Wed, 15 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

hi,

i'm planning to change my old video card to get a newer one.

Five year ago, i remember when i passed from old ATI to my ex-newer nvidia quadro fx1700   i got some real improvement in preview render (but full zero improvement in cpu render). i also remember that with my quadro fx1700, i could yet use the 4096px texture.

From my very old  ATI2600 to nvdia quadro fx1700, the preview render was really improvment (in beauty term), more effect, more quick (in rotate and zoom in interface of poser) and off course real-instant preview rendering.

now, my nvdia fx1700 is old, make noise, warm too longer (and spread its heat on the cpu fan...).

well, i need an advice. i project to buy the nvidia quadro K2000 (new) but maybe i could also have a quadro K4000 (second hand).

what do you think i should do ?

will i see any visual (beauty, effect..) change from quadro fx1700 to the K2000 newer ?

are there many visibles improvement between quadro k2000 and quadro k4000 or it just a speed step ?

As i said, i use Poser Pro (2012) and i just really hope with a new quadro i 'll get closer to cpu render beauty  using the preview render profil. i did a big step when i throw away my very old ati in benefit of the quadro fx1700. i hope a big change between fx1700 and k2000 because there are more than 5years of newer technologie between this 2 cards. i can't change my cpu (to expansive), but i can change my graphical card.

thank you for your advices.

Mike

rowlando ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2013 at 7:02 PM

Go for ninvidia GTX 770 cheaper than the next one up but great performance also upgrade to PP2014.

Ensure the rest of your system will work with above card, also have at least 16 gig ram.

You will get the better cpu renders, but if you want best quality and don't mind waiting hours to render  buy

Reality 3 for Poser Cheers Rowlando

Seek what you can never loose

moogal ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2013 at 8:09 PM

I'm upgrading to the AMD r9 270x ($200).  GPU choice has no affect on Firefly rendering as Firefly is CPU based, though a fast modern GPU will give you much better OpenGL previews (with hardware shading enabled).  The GPU is really only an important consideration if you plan to use Octane or Luxrender/Reality3 (and again, Poser's own OpenGL preview) which do use the GPU.  For third party GPU based renderers that are CUDA based, an nVidia card is a must.  For OpenCL renderers (such as Luxrender/Reality3) I would instead suggest an AMD (ATI) card.

OpenGL= Open Graphics Library

OpenCL= Open Computing Language

Luxrender is a renderer, Reality3 is a Poser plug-in to bridge Poser and Luxrender.

Tunesy ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2013 at 9:52 PM · edited Thu, 26 December 2013 at 9:53 PM

If I had to choose between faster render times or faster manipulations in the Pose room I would choose the latter.  So for me a good video card is much more important than a faster CPU.  My machine just has a GTX760, but that's enough that I don't think I've encountered any lag at all in the Pose room, even with big scenes.  I've had lower end video cards in the past that just drove me crazy because it was so laggy in the Pose room when working with a busy scene.

Michael_REMY ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2013 at 8:20 AM

thanks all for your replies,

but i can't buy poser pro 2014 (to expansive...compare a newer video card).

i was interested in Reality 3 for poser, but it does not support rendering animation like poser pro to do it (poser pro can do the animation in video codec whereas Reality can only do image one by one then you have to recomposite the video animation after the render).

As i said, i will not do firefly render (to many time althought my hardware), i just need to do opengl preview rendering animation (1280x720 in 50i/s).

i do not want nvidia GTX things because it's for gaming or familly multimedia, and i need a full compatibilité with the rest of my sofare stuff (c4d and maya).

moogal ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2013 at 1:51 PM

Quote - i was interested in Reality 3 for poser, but it does not support rendering animation like poser pro to do it (poser pro can do the animation in video codec whereas Reality can only do image one by one then you have to recomposite the video animation after the render).

That no longer works for me in PP2014, unfortunately.  I used to be able to select one of my installed codecs and render a clip, now I have to render frames as I can't get Poser to see the codecs...  When I start using Reality soon I will already be used to doing that. :rolleyes:

That said, loading the first frame into Virtualdub will load all of them automatically if they are numbered sequentially.  It's another couple steps, sure, but many people insist that rendering frames is the smart thing to do.  (I think it is best sometimes and other times it seems just another unnecessary step - depends on the length of the clip and whether any post work is needed)

(If you haven't used Virtualdub with Poser, I recommend giving it a try.  The program is free and there are loads of cool (and free) filters that can really give your renders a unique look.  Using the filter blender with threshold and blur, for example, I was able to create a nice bloom effect for adding soft halos to my light sources.  Many possibilities there.)

shvrdavid ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2013 at 6:09 PM · edited Fri, 27 December 2013 at 6:10 PM

Quote - but i can't buy poser pro 2014 (to expansive...compare a newer video card). ...............

As i said, i will not do firefly render (to many time althought my hardware), i just need to do opengl preview rendering animation (1280x720 in 50i/s).

i do not want nvidia GTX things because it's for gaming or familly multimedia, and i need a full compatibilité with the rest of my sofare stuff (c4d and maya).

So... Your gonna spend $400 to $2000 on a video card and an update to Poser ($249) is too expensive??? Makes me wonder about C4D and Maya, neither of them are cheap by any means....

Maybe you should read this. http://doc-ok.org/?p=304

The newer gaming cards (some GTX cards are nerfed, and that is will known which ones are) are no slouches, and can stomp a lesser workstaion card in Opengl. There are no double sided polygons rendered in Posers preview, and that is the only advantage a workstation card has over a newer gaming one anymore.

OpenGl performance is also dependant on the Cpu and the motherboard. You can't do all of the OpenGl on the Gpu with a complex scene, so wthout knowing what Cpu and the setup it is on, advising you which card is better is sort of pointless anyway.

A Ferrari on a dirt road will never be fast.... Depending on your system, it may not be much or any faster with a Quadro 6000 plugged into it.

You need fast everything to make OpenGl fast. You also need optimized everything in the scenes.

Which card you get is up to you, just don't expect anyones advice to be right based on the information that you gave.  I have many systems, and the AMD cards are far faster at OpenGl than Nvidia cards (on average, but not always depending on the app). OpenGl is nerfed on many Nvidia cards in preference to CUDA. That is a well documented fact.

Would I buy a K2000? for OpenGl stuff???

Nope, there are gaming cards that will blow its doors in, with any of the applications you mentioned.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

Michael_REMY ( ) posted Sat, 28 December 2013 at 6:23 AM

Quote - That no longer works for me in PP2014, unfortunately.  I used to be able to select one of my installed codecs and render a clip, now I have to render frames as I can't get Poser to see the codecs...  When I start using Reality soon I will already be used to doing that.

i'm not a pp2014 user but maybe it is full x64, so need to install your video codec in 64bits version now. that i needed to do with pp2012 x64 : virtualdub in 64bits too, and xvid 64b, h264 encode x64.... and it works.

i know this process using virtualdub to recomposite the video animation but it required to many times that poser can do in first position.

i said pp2014 (update is more 250€ from pp2012) is more expansive than having a quadro k2000 or k4000 second hand here (france).

Maya & c4 are already purchased since a long time, to need to money them. The older part of my computer is the video card!

actualy, i'm near to my favourite firefly setting but not as good in opengl in wish;

here what i wish in cpu firefly (average 5s to render):
poser pro 2012 cpu render preference

and now, here is what i get in opengl render (0s to render) :

poser pro 2012 gpu opengl render preference

As you can see, there still are many difference between cpu and my gpu, that why i wonder if the nvidia K2000 or K4000 would help me to be nearer to the cpu render.

more thant 5s is important because i do animation (and a lot), and post-montge in Premiere after render...

i already have (i think) a good hardware except my video card (i7-975X, RAM 12GB, SSD)

shvrdavid ( ) posted Sat, 28 December 2013 at 1:46 PM · edited Sat, 28 December 2013 at 1:49 PM

Quote - i said pp2014 (update is more 250€ from pp2012) is more expansive than having a quadro k2000 or k4000 second hand here (france).

If you can get used K4000's for less than what the upgrade to Pro 2014 costs, please provide a link to them. I would be very interested in a case or two of them.

If not, I'm calling complete BS on that. The K4000 has not even been out a year, (March 2013) it isn't like people are upgrading from it yet. And if they are, there not going to give them away. If they bought them at release, they were $1200 - $1400 us dollars, no where close to 275................... I know because I bought more than a few of them for systems I built for customers.

It would be great to get them for less than 250... That would make 350 to 500 profit per card sold at the current used value.......

Your lucky to find a K4000 for $100 less than new one anywhere unless it comes from very unscrupulous sources. Or it is a rebadged (680 GTX) card with a resistor mod to appear to be a K4000 when installed.

As far as a newer card looking better on the OpenGl render. I kind of doubt that it will. You get what you put in, and the shadres should render out the same. It may be faster, but it will still look the same. On an I7, don't expect a huge increase in speed.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

MNArtist ( ) posted Mon, 20 October 2014 at 11:27 AM

Thought I'd jump on here rather than create a new thread, since I have a similar question. And apologies up front - I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to hardware requirements and video cards in particular.

I'm suddenly running into "out of memory" alerts on PoserPro2014, and frequently have renders just stop part-way through with no error message, it's like they just abort before completing. Granted these are "heavy" scenes that involve IBL, IDL, tons of Poser dynamic hair, etc. I recently bought a LG 36" ultrawide HDMI monitor - which I love - but I'm thinking this is the reason for the sudden change in performance. Does that make sense to anyone else? I'm trying to decide what the best fix is.

So the question is:  will I get much improvement by upgrading my video card, and any recommendations on what to get?

Here's my specs:

Windows7 

Intel i7-2600 3.4ghz

16.0 ram

Nvidia GeForce GTX550 Ti

In addition to PoserPro2014, also using Vue, C4d and zBrush. I've noticed some change in the performance of those programs, Vue in particular, since upgrading the monitor, but not as much as with Poser. 

Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.

moogal ( ) posted Mon, 20 October 2014 at 8:58 PM

Upgrading your video card will probably have no impact on your memory usage.  Poser only uses your GPU for drawing the preview.  Firefly rendering is calculated by the CPU using system memory. 

Just to make sure, switch Poser to an untextured preview and try loading your scenes.  I'm not sure what happens when you run out of video RAM, but my guess would be missing textures/strange colored objects, rather than an error message.

When you upgraded your monitor, did you begin using a higher resolution than before?

MNArtist ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2014 at 7:40 AM

Thanks for your response. 

Yes, the screen resolution is pretty high with the ultrawide monitor: 2560 x 1080.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.