Fri, May 17, 9:42 AM CDT

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 16 3:32 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Copyright / Piracy Updates and Information

JeniferC ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2012 at 11:47 AM · edited Fri, 17 May 2024 at 1:28 AM

Attached Link: US Legislation being proposed to stop piracy

We all know that great 3D content comes from dedicated artists who work tirelessly to bring their creations to life.  They may be following their creative muse, but their earnings from the sale of their products can greatly enhance quality of life for the artists and their families.  In some cases, talented artists can achieve their dream and pursue the creation of 3D content as a full-time job.

Illegal file sharing and online piracy undermine these dreams by removing the financial incentive. To support our artists and ensure an ongoing supply of great 3D content, Renderosity dedicates staff time to copyright awareness and seeking out sites or members illegally distributing or using 3D products.  Renderosity files DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) claims on behalf of our vendors, and we also work to help educate vendors on how to file claims for themselves.  In addition to our own efforts in this area, we also follow legislative action that will likely affect the 3D Industry.

Please see the front page article (linked above) to read more information about the US legislation.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2012 at 12:07 PM

YOU SUPPORT SOPA?????

my god. you can't be serious.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2012 at 12:10 PM

facepalm

I think ya'll should re-read the entire thing. It's not what you think it is.

Laurie

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2012 at 1:22 PM · edited Wed, 11 January 2012 at 1:26 PM

I have been posting both correspondence and links to different enities that are fighting to protect both intellectual and legal rights of photographers/digital and other mediums that all artists should expect, not hope for for years. Only to hear so many say it isn't neccesary. But it is. it is not theft from file sharing, but large corporations that have no compunction to stealing any persons intellectual property or artistic creation. For more info go to these links:

http://ipaorphanworks.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqBZd0cP5Yc

http://soulaura777.deviantart.com/journal/Artists-Sign-Petition-Against-PROTECT-IP-Act-265502029

Ariana

Is there water in your future or is it being shipped away to be resold to you?
Water, the ultimate weapon...

www.futurefantasydesign.com

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2012 at 1:27 PM

PPS: if you search my posts here you can find several posts on the Orpaned Rights Act. This is ridled with tons of "exceptions" allowing large corporations to steal your art.

Very informative stuff.

Ariana

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2012 at 1:29 PM · edited Wed, 11 January 2012 at 1:29 PM

erm not saing it's not nessecary. I'm saying that SOPA is so full of badly worded clauses, it's open to HUGE abuses that unscruplous persons will fully use in their favour to destroy competition.

rework it so it's water tight and the huge holes are closed up. then go for it. right now tho.... my god.... they can't be serious.

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2012 at 1:31 PM

Exactly! The devil is in the details....

Ariana

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2012 at 1:35 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Yeah...I wasn't saying it wasn't needed either...lol. It's just that the way it's written is all kinds of fucked up.

Laurie

JeniferC ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2012 at 2:01 PM

Quote - YOU SUPPORT SOPA?????

We aren't supporting it, but just making sure members are aware of the legislation that is out there. There are some good ideas within the bills, but there are also concerns about how to protect everyone's rights and other laws. 

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2012 at 2:05 PM

ah. you do come across as supporting it...

infinity10 ( ) posted Thu, 12 January 2012 at 2:15 AM

For those of us outside the USA and who not USA residents, SOPA is not directly relevant, correct ?

Eternal Hobbyist

nruddock ( ) posted Thu, 12 January 2012 at 4:37 PM · edited Thu, 12 January 2012 at 4:39 PM

Quote - For those of us outside the USA and who not USA residents, SOPA is not directly relevant, correct ?

SOPA is mostly about enabling the seizure of domain names used by foreign websites registered via US based registrars, so those outside the USA are the targets.

infinity10 ( ) posted Thu, 12 January 2012 at 10:43 PM

Quote - SOPA is mostly about enabling the seizure of domain names used by foreign websites registered via US based registrars, so those outside the USA are the targets.

So that means websites registered outside the USA jurisdiction will not fall under SOPA.  Doesn't solve the situation much, in some cases.

Eternal Hobbyist

agiel ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2012 at 11:58 AM · edited Sat, 14 January 2012 at 11:59 AM

Anyone looking for a crash course about the intent of this type of legislation and how fundamentally flawed they are should either read :

Lockdown - the coming war on general purpose computing

or watch the keynote speech video.

Cory Doctorrow's keynote speech at 28c3

Seriously - take the time to read or watch this and get a better understanding of what we are getting into with these laws.

Fighting piracy is a good goal. The way we are going about it through current and proposed laws is deeply flawed and cannot work. We have to find other ways.

agiel ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2012 at 12:01 PM

To reply Infinity10, it only means that sites blocked by SOPA would be in the US for now

Once this kind of law is passed, it is only a matter of time before the US strongly suggests other countries to do the same.

Just look at what happened with DMCA.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2012 at 5:44 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Quote - Once this kind of law is passed, it is only a matter of time before the US strongly suggests other countries to do the same.

Another clusterfuck...sigh. That's what happens when non-computer users make laws for computer users. They have NO idea really.

Laurie

ghosty12 ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2012 at 1:31 AM

I have just read that for now SOPA is dead in the water. A few in your congress have back peddled and have pulled support for it. And the Whitehouse has pulled support for it as well.  Here is a link to what has happened..

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2012/01/ajs-sopa-update/ 

You know you enjoy 3D Art when you realize that your life is a piece of 3D Art. :)

Core I7 8700K, 32GB, RTX 3060 12G, Windows 10 64bit, Poser 9 / Pro 2012 / Pro 2014, Daz Studio 4.20 Pro

Wallaroo ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2012 at 4:04 PM

Quote - > Quote - Once this kind of law is passed, it is only a matter of time before the US strongly suggests other countries to do the same.

Another cluster***...sigh. That's what happens when non-computer users make laws for computer users. They have NO idea really.

Laurie

Yes, that cluster*** is gonna hurt the companies that screamed for that where

it hurts them the most... their fat overstuffed wallets.

Quote - That's what happens when non-computer users make laws for computer users. They have NO idea really. Laurie

No, they dont. It's just like a botanist making a statement about anthropology and

human behavior based on his/her assumptions. A poor judge, to be exact.

ghosty12 ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2012 at 5:56 AM · edited Wed, 18 January 2012 at 5:57 AM

Well it seems my last post about SOPA I am getting so confused with all this. After reading this http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/63660/Blah-Happy-Internet-Blackout-Day-SOPA-PIPA#comments I am not sure now what to think.. lol

You know you enjoy 3D Art when you realize that your life is a piece of 3D Art. :)

Core I7 8700K, 32GB, RTX 3060 12G, Windows 10 64bit, Poser 9 / Pro 2012 / Pro 2014, Daz Studio 4.20 Pro

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2012 at 11:36 AM

It's not dead..it's due to be voted on on Jan 24th iirc. {over 7,000+ sites participating in that blackout...very interesting}

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

ValisArca ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2012 at 2:39 PM · edited Wed, 18 January 2012 at 2:44 PM

Quote - > Quote - YOU SUPPORT SOPA?????

We aren't supporting it, but just making sure members are aware of the legislation that is out there. There are some good ideas within the bills, but there are also concerns about how to protect everyone's rights and other laws. 

That's a huuuuuge relief. You guys really do need to change the wording on your statement however, because it really comes across, as support for the bills.

I love you guys, and I've spent hundreds of dollars here, I'd hate to see you guys taken down due to this legislation. (Read both bills again and think about some  of the stuff in your marketplace, and galleries, you'll see how you to are at risk, and your not even software pirates.)

Believe me I am 100% against piracy, and I support all the creators here...but these bills...will do far far more harm thain any shred of good that they might have.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.