Wed, Jun 12, 1:11 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 12 7:01 am)

Subject: Quadratic Spot Soft Shadows

MNArtist ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2011 at 12:17 PM · edited Wed, 18 October 2023 at 2:02 AM

file_475726.jpg

Hi All -

Does anyone know how to more effectively create soft shadows with a quadratic, volumetric spot? See the attached image. Of concern is the shadows on the rock face (this is a hyperterrain). They're still a lot more crisp than I'd like. I've got the softness of the spot turned up to 10 and softness quality (in the editor) turned way up. This is just a final quality render, but the results are the same in ultra.

This is V10I on PC.

Any suggestions?

bruno021 ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2011 at 12:44 PM · edited Wed, 30 November 2011 at 12:47 PM

You need to turn up the volumetric quality for the light, it's not in the softness parameters, but in the volumetric parameters. You should turn it up to +4, and expect long render times, but the result is worth it. Also, make sure that "Optimize volumetric lighting" is off in the render options.

MNArtist ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2011 at 6:06 PM

Thanks, Bruno. That seems to have helped some. Now I just need to figure out the rest of the composition

MNArtist ( ) posted Thu, 01 December 2011 at 11:28 PM

For what it's worth, I ended up switching to a volumetric point light - something I'd never tried - and the results are 1000% better. Definitely long render times, but worth it, I think. I'll post the final image when completed.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.