Wed, Jun 12, 11:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 12 7:01 am)

Subject: Terrain Sculptin Tut 9.5I?

MNArtist ( ) posted Mon, 29 August 2011 at 2:58 PM · edited Sun, 08 October 2023 at 1:43 AM

Can anyone recommend a tutorial for terrain sculpting that uses the new interface for Vue 9.5? I've gone through Geek At Play's tut which uses the old interface, unfortunately, I'm not getting much of anything to work - especially the 2D sculpting, in 9.5. Any suggestions are appreciated.Thanks.

(BTW using Windows Vista 64bit)

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 29 August 2011 at 11:13 PM

Rule number 1: Keep your eye on your brush's normal when sculpting.  Some brushes like their normal to be vertical (smack on top of a hill top) and some like their normal to be more at an angle (while brushing into cliff walls).

Rule number 2: See rule number 1.

MNArist, what initial steps do you take to start your terrain in the Terrain Editor (before any sculpting is done)?  Then which brush are you selecting for use first?

In other words, there is no tutorial.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

MNArtist ( ) posted Tue, 30 August 2011 at 8:26 AM

file_472410.jpg

Hey Shawn -

Thanks for your response. Have to admit, I'm feeling like a complete idiot not being able to figure this out.

Here's three images. The first is how the interface appears when I go into the editor. The second is an example of what I'm trying to do. Basically I want to create a simple terrain with a creek running through it. That much I can make happen, as you can see. Then what I want to do is soften the edges of the creek bed with the effects painting brushes. Image three shows how I'm trying to do that, but nothing happens. The brush acts like it's trying to paint, but no effect shows up. By the way, if it matters, I've got the rock hardness set pretty low in the Effects Tab if that matters.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

MNArtist ( ) posted Tue, 30 August 2011 at 8:26 AM

file_472411.jpg

2nd Image

MNArtist ( ) posted Tue, 30 August 2011 at 8:27 AM

file_472412.jpg

3rd Image

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 30 August 2011 at 11:43 PM

Fluvial erosion airbrushing needs a brush size of 20m or larger.  I tried with 2m and Vue could not get enough of a dirt sample of the existing terrain to generate erosion from.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 30 August 2011 at 11:46 PM

Clicking the Effects Tab and hitting the Fluvial Erosion found there not only erodes the entire terrain (which you don't want probably, thus the air brush), but it doesn't seem to have much control compared to using the airbrush method.

nabob21 ( ) posted Sat, 03 September 2011 at 10:41 PM · edited Sat, 03 September 2011 at 10:43 PM

file_472543.jpg

I tried the different erosion effects in the Brush Editor and these settings seemed to work for me although the effect is subtle and gradual. As a test apply some pebble effects to the terrain and then try these settings and their effect will be more noticeable.

MNArtist ( ) posted Sun, 04 September 2011 at 8:37 AM

Hey Nabob -

Good to hear from you! And thanks for the tips. I'll try them out. I ended up putting two terrains together and using the resulting "valley" between them for the creekbed in the attached image. Not a totally unsatisfactory result, but it does lack some control.

MNArtist ( ) posted Sun, 04 September 2011 at 8:39 AM

Attached Link: Creek

Hey Nabob -

Good to hear from you! And thanks for the tips. I'll try them out. I ended up putting two terrains together and using the resulting "valley" between them for the creekbed in the attached image. Not a totally unsatisfactory result, but it does lack some control.

nabob21 ( ) posted Sun, 04 September 2011 at 10:38 AM

Nice image MNArtist! Haven't been around much this summer due to the fire season we've been having and only now have I had a chance to check out the forums or galleries. Hopefully I will have some time this week to comment on your images.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.