Sat, Jun 1, 1:07 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 31 7:45 pm)

Subject: New I mac must come with Lion-what to do.

saibabameuk ( ) posted Sat, 06 August 2011 at 5:48 AM · edited Sun, 24 March 2024 at 5:53 PM

I have just order a new I mac 27inch screen , I asked can you supply me with Snow Leopard NO.

In view of the problems other Mac users are having with compatability of Poser what to do?

Synpainter ( ) posted Sat, 06 August 2011 at 6:36 AM · edited Sat, 06 August 2011 at 6:38 AM

Order OSX Leopard (or whichever OSX you prefer) from MacMall or CDW, Partition your iMac.

Install Leopard on the new partition and set the new partition as your startup disk.

Load Poser = No problems (well few system issues anyway :))

saibabameuk ( ) posted Sat, 06 August 2011 at 8:57 AM

Quote - Order OSX Leopard (or whichever OSX you prefer) from MacMall or CDW, Partition your iMac.

Install Leopard on the new partition and set the new partition as your startup disk.

Load Poser = No problems (well few system issues anyway :))

Thanks for coming back to me , I have a Mac osx Snow leopard disc for booting my Mac Book Pro will this do?

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 06 August 2011 at 11:35 AM

Not if it is one of those Grey System Disks that came with your macbook.

You need a retail Copy of Snow leopard.

Which might be harder to get as time goes by.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

saibabameuk ( ) posted Sat, 06 August 2011 at 4:44 PM

Quote - Not if it is one of those Grey System Disks that came with your macbook.

You need a retail Copy of Snow leopard.

Which might be harder to get as time goes by.

Cheers

No this little beauty is from Mac OSX Snow Leopard Install DVD will it do?

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sat, 06 August 2011 at 8:15 PM

Thanks for reminding me- time to buy Snow Leopard!

BucmaTemar ( ) posted Sat, 06 August 2011 at 9:40 PM

It sounds like there are work arounds for the problems Poser has on Lion, but, if it were me...  I'd get a copy of VirtualBox (it's free), and install snow leopard on that before I would bother setting up a multi-boot thingy.

Instead of VirtualBox, you can also use vmware or parallels, but those aren't free.

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 06 August 2011 at 10:12 PM

"Instead of VirtualBox, you can also use vmware or parallels, but those aren't free."

Hi  You may be confused
those "solutions"you  just mentioned are for Mac users desiring to Run MS Windows

Not for Mac OSX users Considering merely upgrading to the newest version of .....Mac OSX( Lion).

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

BucmaTemar ( ) posted Sat, 06 August 2011 at 10:39 PM

Quote - "Instead of VirtualBox, you can also use vmware or parallels, but those aren't free."

Hi  You may be confused
those "solutions"you  just mentioned are for Mac users desiring to Run MS Windows

Not for Mac OSX users Considering merely upgrading to the newest version of .....Mac OSX( Lion).

Cheers

No, -you- are confused. Those 3 products are ways of running more than one operating system at a time on the same machine. Sure, most people use them to run windows, but you can also use them to run Linux or even a second copy of os-x... I've done it in fact. If it were me, if my new computer came with lion, I'd just use the work arounds mentioned in other threads... Right now, I'm sticking with snow leopard until stuff like poser is updated for lion.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2011 at 12:51 AM

When Apple upgrades to a new Kitty-there are sometimes problems with software compatibility. I am currently using Leopard 10.5 not Snow Kitty. No plans to jump to Lion until I have to.

But then I would rather have the software I use continue to work properly-than to have all the lastest cool OS innovations-which I rarely use.

If you buy from Daz you will find that some of their older installers "VISE" won't work under Lion.

I ordered a full install copy of 10.6.3 from Amazon today-for when my favorite software requires 10.6 or above.

saibabameuk ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2011 at 3:59 AM

Not wishing to labour the point.

Any one know if The Poser People have any plans to update the working software for Lion?

Poser Pro 2010 for - Macintosh 

Should I start a new thread?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2011 at 9:12 AM

Threads won't help. You must speak to SM.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2011 at 9:19 AM · edited Sun, 07 August 2011 at 9:20 AM

And then simply weigh the choices

Does the shiny new features of "Lion" justify even a short term Loss of the Functionality of a  program vital to your creative efforts while you wait for SM et all to release a SR patch.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

stewer ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2011 at 9:36 AM

Don't try to fix something before it's broken :)

1. Get your new Mac.

2. Install Poser, take the help of SM tech support if necessary.

3. Try out Poser and see how it works for you.

4. Only then decide if you need to install Snow Leopard or not. 

saibabameuk ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2011 at 10:14 AM

Attached Link: saibabmeuk

> Quote - Don't try to fix something before it's broken :) > > 1. Get your new Mac. > > 2. Install Poser, take the help of SM tech support if necessary. > > 3. Try out Poser and see how it works for you. > > 4. Only then decide if you need to install Snow Leopard or not. 

Again I praise the efforts of all you great guys, thanks for the advice.

Back to my prep for the next animation if you are interested this is a new page i am opening on my web site for that animation, I decided to have a web page to show other animator/ creatives problems that I may be encountering or solving.

Thanks again guys and girls.

serendigity59@gmail.com ( ) posted Sat, 03 September 2011 at 5:55 PM

This from DAZ management:

My apologies for not posting in this thread earlier. We here at DAZ 3D have been very busy working on some big projects. One of which is the DAZ Studio 4 Advanced and Pro launch. It has taken all of our developers, even the team working on Bryce to wrap up the last details. No excuses are good enough however. 

I have been in discussion with our CTO, and he is committed to getting an upgrade for Bryce to run under the Lion operating system release. This should be good news for everyone. The only thing I don't know is how long it will take to update or develop. One of the developers said it should not be a huge effort, but until he dives into it it's not completely known. 

I hope this helps, and I'm very sorry for the delay in responding to each of you.

saibabameuk ( ) posted Mon, 05 September 2011 at 9:53 AM

Quote - Threads won't help. You must speak to SM.

From the horses mouth!

Poser 8 and Poser Pro 2010 are not supported on the Mac OSX 10.7 (Lion) operating system as they are not fully compatible with it, and no updates are currently planned for these products.

There are work arounds.

My way is to reboot with Snow Leopard from my back up carbon copy cloner , this is hosted on my 2nd drive, it works .

For the Lion software I await 20th September Poser2012.

PotaLuna ( ) posted Mon, 05 September 2011 at 7:39 PM

you know we can get stuck in an idea and nothing that says this is a bad idea gets us out of it. so when we buy a an ipad we ask why wont it run poser and no matter what any bro says we still try to get the ipad to run poser. like when we buy a linux based computer, you know what i mean. its good for not gettin bug and tojs and the like, but  it justdont hack it prorly will it. you know what i mean bro saib. you got geta windows computers, like support microsoft bro.

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 14 September 2011 at 5:59 AM

PP2012 is supported in lion and is only 6 days away!

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

saibabameuk ( ) posted Wed, 14 September 2011 at 7:13 AM

Quote - PP2012 is supported in lion and is only 6 days away!

Thank you my dear , now I just have to work out what to do with the voucher?

klown ( ) posted Wed, 14 September 2011 at 8:17 AM

Just remember when you buy a "new" mac the oldest version of OS X you can downgrade to is the one it came with. If you system came pre-bundled with Lion then installing Snow Leopard is not an option. The prevention to do this is defined in the Hardware Abstraction Layer or HAL.

Some of the earlier i3,i5, and i7 iMacs (mid 2011) shipped with 10.6.6 and can be downgraded from Lion if you installed it but the newer releases (late 2011) will not downgrade below 10.7

also when your solution involves virtualizing an OS you may have compatibilty problems and performance issues. In other words booting to an dedicated windows partition will be much faster than running a virtualized session alongside Mac OS since your CPU is now running two or more OS's instead of one. You may not notice this will spreadhseets and web browsing but with games and 3D you will see a difference.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 14 September 2011 at 8:32 AM

klown is mostly correct - but, there are ways to do it ( video showing some methods are here ) , an example of which involves using a second Mac, a firewire cable, and installing to the first Mac over that firewire in Target Disk mode. 

( just be warned that some methods they mention might just blow your warranty. :) )

He is however 10000% correct on virtualization. Even with VMWare Fusion or Parallels, you're going to get crap performance out of the app. Dual-booting can solve these problems, since you'd just be booting to another OS. 

Or... you can just wait for Poser 2012, or use DS, or... you actually have quite a few options that don't involve jinking around with the OS.

(...as /me thinks about upgrading the desktop hardware and making another hackintosh...)

klown ( ) posted Wed, 14 September 2011 at 9:34 AM

My personal experience I could not do it on my MBP that shipped with 10.5 and the optical drive died, when I needed to wipe the system. I tried both the Apple 10.5 installer and the disks that shipped with that MBP when I put those disks in my newer MBP that shipped with 10.6 and tried over firewire and network. Both times it simply would not let me run the ^&*$#! software from the newer laptop even though I did not want to install it on that. I like to hack, OC and do other warranty voiding voodoo but I don't recomend it to everyone.

As far as Studio goes Daz has not developed DS4 to run in Lion, and DS3 dev has ground to a halt since the first quater of 2011. but the Daz forums have many irked Lion adopters who are reporting lots of wonkiness, mostly in DS4.

Poser 9 and 2012 claims it is compatable, we'll see.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.