Sat, Jun 1, 4:49 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 01 3:00 am)

Subject: The LuxPose Project - Alpha Stage

Latexluv ( ) posted Fri, 08 October 2010 at 3:16 PM · edited Fri, 08 October 2010 at 3:28 PM

Quote -

Quote -
If you mean attaching a refract node to the Poser surface and it translates into Lux as glass....it's not working at all. Had to hand edit the material file.

For me the material above computes to the following Lux file (important parts only):

#----->   luxball_new_1/material:glass    <-----

MakeNamedMaterial "luxball_new_1/material:glass" "string type" ["glass"]

"string Kr" ["0.024222943199534778, 1.0, 0.22331043694287706"]

"color Kt" [0.215686276555 0.54509806633 1.0]

"float index" [1.5]

"float cauchyb" [0.20000000298]

"float filmindex" [0.850000023842]

######################

#----->   luxball_new_1/material:glass_1    <-----

MakeNamedMaterial "luxball_new_1/material:glass_1" "string type" ["glossy"]

"color Kd" [0.139313726983 0.139313726983 0.139313726983]

"color Ks" [0.0172058831287 0.0172058831287 0.0172058831287]

"float uroughness" [0.32760295434]

"float vroughness" [0.32760295434]

######################

#----->   luxball_new_1/material    <-----

MakeNamedMaterial "luxball_new_1/material" "string type" ["mix"]

"string namedmaterial1" ["luxball_new_1/material:glass"]

"string namedmaterial2" ["luxball_new_1/material:glass_1"]

"float amount" [0.0]

As you can see, the "mix amount" is 0, because Refraction_Value is 1. So the glossy part is ignored.

The colors defined in Poser are assigned to the glass material as follows:

Poser Refraction_Color -> glass Kr
Poser Refraction Node Background -> glass Kt 
Poser Refraction Node Index_of_Refraction -> glass index
Poser Refraction Node Quality -> glass couchyB
Poser Refraction Node Softness -> glass film
Poser Refraction Node Raybias -> glass filmindex

I tried it again using the setting you posted on my test orb (BB's orb object).  I exported using the script you posted as Alpha 1-42.  I opened the material file in a text editor and I do not get the settings you show.

This is what exported:

#----->   Orb_1/Preview    <-----

MakeNamedMaterial "Orb_1/Preview" "string type" ["glossy"]
"color Kd" [0.177745096587 0.177745096587 0.177745096587]
"color Ks" [0.016323530205 0.016323530205 0.016323530205]
"float uroughness" [0.32760295434]
"float vroughness" [0.32760295434]

I do not know what I am not doing correctly. Manually changing the word 'glossy' to 'glass' in the text editor is making it render as glass.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

sdraun ( ) posted Sat, 09 October 2010 at 6:24 PM

I use poser to make movies only. I render out to a series of ping files. The way I understand it Luxrender keeps working till you tell it to stop. You can’t make movies that way. Will there be settings to render a time line? My main interest in this render engine is that it supports network rendering and I can send my work to  http://www.corefarm.com and get it rendered in a hurry. The prices are within my production budget. I don’t know that there is any other way to export poser animation out to a render farm.

Steve

bighousehx ( ) posted Sat, 09 October 2010 at 9:28 PM

Quote - The way I understand it Luxrender keeps working till you tell it to stop.

Correct.

Quote - You can’t make movies that way.

Sure you can. Look at the haltspp and halttime parameters in the film section.  You can stop a render after reaching a certain number of (average) samples per pixel, or you can stop after a specified amount of real time has elapsed.

Now, how you get an animation out of Poser and into Luxrender is something I'd like to know...

ayanematrix ( ) posted Sun, 10 October 2010 at 1:10 PM · edited Sun, 10 October 2010 at 1:18 PM

Got another error for you for LuxPose 1.42, this time it's in Poser 6.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "", line 68, in ?
  File "C:Program FilesCurious LabsPoser 6RuntimePythonposerScriptsluxrenderworkersBBLuxMat.py", line 37, in ?
    import luxmatic.luxnodes
  File "C:Program FilesCurious LabsPoser 6RuntimePythonposerScriptsluxrenderluxmaticluxnodes.py", line 35, in ?
    class LuxGlossy(LuxMaterial):
  File "C:Program FilesCurious LabsPoser 6RuntimePythonposerScriptsluxrenderluxmaticluxnodes.py", line 38, in LuxGlossy
    Inputs = [
NameError: name 'False' is not defined

I'm going to see if version 7 has the same problem and report back.

Update: Seems pretty minor, but the version that's reported is 1.41 in Poser 7, but it works without giving up an error like Poser 6.

ayanematrix ( ) posted Sun, 10 October 2010 at 3:21 PM

file_460166.jpg

I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing this right in the material editor in Poser 7, but all I can seem to get working is Velvet via the alternate diffuse channel. Refract only seems to work on diffuse channel, but does not generate any sort of glass based material when exported. Also, metal doesn't work either.

So... anyone have any ideas on how these extra functions work for exporting different materials?

Latexluv ( ) posted Sun, 10 October 2010 at 4:30 PM

I followed ADP's example from the previous page and tried export on 3 simple spheres. I put a refract on one sphere, and reflect on the next and tried the Poser transluscent chanel on the last sphere.  I opened the material file in a text editor after export and the materials were "glossy". I hand changed the name to "glass" and "metal" respectively and brought the export into Lux and they rendered as glass and metal. I've been waiting to hear from ADP. Perhaps there is some code that still is not working?

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Latexluv ( ) posted Sun, 10 October 2010 at 5:21 PM

Tried it once again. No joy. Had to hand edit the material file for Lux.

Weapons of choice:

sdraun ( ) posted Sun, 10 October 2010 at 10:54 PM

Quote - > Quote - The way I understand it Luxrender keeps working till you tell it to stop.

Correct.

Quote - You can’t make movies that way.

Sure you can. Look at the haltspp and halttime parameters in the film section.  You can stop a render after reaching a certain number of (average) samples per pixel, or you can stop after a specified amount of real time has elapsed.

Now, how you get an animation out of Poser and into Luxrender is something I'd like to know...

Thanks for your answer. I noticed there is no mention of animation in the “reality” plug in for Daz Studio. It doesn’t seem that difficult, when I think about it rendering out a movie is like batch rendering, when a program is finished one job it automatically moves on to the next.  A few lines of code and presto you have a movie rendering engine :). I"ll bet you guys will make it happen next year.
Steve

Holler ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2010 at 2:36 PM

@ ADP, have been playing with version 1.42 and like LatexLuv and ayanematrix have been unable to get the results you posted. Have had a look at the workers folder, is it possible that the compiled versions of PoserLuxExporter_workers and BBLuxMat were not updated in the last package update?

ayanematrix ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2010 at 6:07 PM

Quote - @ ADP, have been playing with version 1.42 and like LatexLuv and ayanematrix have been unable to get the results you posted. Have had a look at the workers folder, is it possible that the compiled versions of PoserLuxExporter_workers and BBLuxMat were not updated in the last package update?

I'm thinking that's the case. I looked a bit further into the code and some of the export functions relating to metal and glass are not defined specifically, but velvet is. On the plus side, it also appears that using the skin node works too and is mixable with velvet.

Holler ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2010 at 6:33 PM

Played a bit more, the compiled versions are generated at the time we run the exporter so that's not it. But like you ayanematrix, I found that the code in BBLuxMat has references to skin and velvet and those features are working for me. But can't see any references to glass in BBLuxMat. ADP are you out there...... ;)

Latexluv ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2010 at 6:46 PM

So if skin and velvet are working in this update, what nodes in Poser to you use for it to register on export? I've set up a version of BB's VSS to strip textures quickly down to a P4 like set up for Lux Export. If I knew what nodes in Poser to include in my VSS set up then I could take advantage of the skin and velvet support. I truly hope that ADP is looking into the metal/glass thing.

Weapons of choice:

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2010 at 7:17 PM

Give him a breather folks...he's been working on this all by himself for a couple weeks now. The guy deserves a rest ;o).

Laurie

coldrake ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2010 at 9:43 PM

Quote - Thanks for your answer. I noticed there is no mention of animation in the “reality” plug in for Daz Studio.

Animation will come in version 2.

Looks up, hey Laurie! :)

Coldrake

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2010 at 10:26 PM

Hi coldrake. How the heck are ya? ;o)

Laurie

adp001 ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2010 at 12:38 PM

After a few busy days for my customers out of home I have now some time for the exporter.

To the in-between versions: I tried to find a way to support further nodes with BB's code. But there are to mutch points where I didn't find a way through. So I dropped this and started my own material exporter based on previous work (my old matnodes5 lib). This is more streight forward and better documented (not full, but better, and the code is mostly self-documented because of my programming style). So there is a good chance for others to step in.

My goal is not to convert Poser materials in all cases to generate the same image in Lux as in Poser. But do a useful/usable conversion to have a starting-point ready to add "LuxPose-Material-Macros".  

All other may wait until BB comes back with his exporter version.

With other words: My way is primarily for artists using Poser to "quick-setup" a scene as a target for LuxRender. I try to make the code as abstract as possible to be able to use most of the code for a converter for C4D 12 with Python support.

About animations:
It's not hard to support animations created with Poser. Materials must be exported only once. After this the geometry- and light-converter part must be called for each frame in the scene. But with the actual code it will be slow because LuxRender must be restarted for each frame in the scene.

A better way may be to use "embedded LuxRender" via Lux-Python-API with musltitasking, coverting geometries for the next frame while LuxRender generates the image for the actual frame. But this needs a powerful machine or better network-rendering. Because Poser and LuxRender both must run (and work) on the same machine, sharing cores and memory.

For standard single machines it may be better to export geometries for each frame to a row of files (on a HD with plenty of space) and start the render process thereafter. A special flag for props may help speed up the geometry-generation while exporting static props only once to a kind of macro inserted into each geometry-file. Advantage for the last method is that external render-farms may be used.

If someone wants to start with a framework for animations I happily will help where I can.

A first version with animation support can be downloaded from here:

http://www.poserprofis.de/PoserLuxExporter_alpha_1-42ani.zip

(download tested this time ;) )

adp001 ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2010 at 1:48 PM

Forgotten to mention for the animation output: Number of frames rendered must be changed at the top of the python file: PoserLuxExporter.py

adp001 ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2010 at 1:58 PM · edited Tue, 12 October 2010 at 2:00 PM

Quote - @ ADP, have been playing with version 1.42 and like LatexLuv and ayanematrix have been unable to get the results you posted. Have had a look at the workers folder, is it possible that the compiled versions of PoserLuxExporter_workers and BBLuxMat were not updated in the last package update?

Compiling is done at runtime. If a *.pyc file is older than the sourcefile the *.py file is compiled automaticly. If you're in doubt just remove all *.pyc files.

Quote - I'm thinking that's the case. I looked a bit further into the code and some of the export functions relating to metal and glass are not defined specifically, but velvet is. On the plus side, it also appears that using the skin node works too and is mixable with velvet.

Basic material is always a matte or glossy. But if there is a "Fraction" node in you material, a mix out of glossy and glass is created. If you have pur glass, the mix-amount is (should be) zero, so the glossy-part is completly ignored (theoretically :) ).

rjjack ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2010 at 10:59 PM

Quote - Forgotten to mention for the animation output: Number of frames rendered must be changed at the top of the python file: PoserLuxExporter.py

you forgot to add the frame counter to the filename, if you render several frames they overwrite the last one

adp001 ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2010 at 11:18 PM

file_460261.jpg

> Quote - > Quote - Forgotten to mention for the animation output: Number of frames rendered must be changed at the top of the python file: PoserLuxExporter.py > > > > you forgot to add the frame counter to the filename, if you render several frames they overwrite the last one

Not in my version :)

If more than one frame must be exported, a folder named "ani" is created to store the output. All files, with added framenumbers, are generated in this folder.

rjjack ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2010 at 11:24 PM

sorry i was not very precise (miss a morning coffee), i speak of the filename for the output image in my case it's testanim.png  in all  lxs files, in place of testanin00000.png to testanim00030.png

adp001 ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2010 at 11:35 PM

Quote - sorry i was not very precise (miss a morning coffee), i speak of the filename for the output image in my case it's testanim.png  in all  lxs files, in place of testanin00000.png to testanim00030.png

Ohhh yes! I'll make an update!

adp001 ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2010 at 11:56 PM

Images for animations have now the correct filename.

** http://www.poserprofis.de/PoserLuxExporter_alpha_1-42a_ani.zip** 

ice-boy ( ) posted Sun, 17 October 2010 at 3:35 AM

can someone show me what materials in poser should i use to get in lux glossy materials for metal,flooring,skin,plastic.

thank you.

Synpainter ( ) posted Mon, 18 October 2010 at 5:54 AM

Hey,

Officially released v0.7.1! on Sunday :)

Here: >>>>Luxrender<<<<

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 18 October 2010 at 10:17 AM

Quote -  Hey,

''lease note that both v0.7 and this new v0.7.1 might exhibit surges of fireflies on certain scenes. We've not been able to track down the issue''

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

: - ) 

Flenser ( ) posted Mon, 18 October 2010 at 2:20 PM

Quote - > Quote -  Hey,

''Please note that both v0.7 and this new v0.7.1 might exhibit surges of fireflies on certain scenes. We've not been able to track down the issue''

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The good part of that statement is that he confirms that v0.8 test builds do not display the fireflies problem. :)

Software: OS X 10.8 - Poser Pro 2012 SR2 - Luxrender 1.0RC3 - Pose2Lux
Hardware: iMac - 3.06 GHz Core2Duo - 12 GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 4670 - 256 MB

ice-boy ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 4:00 AM · edited Tue, 19 October 2010 at 4:00 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote -  Hey,

''Please note that both v0.7 and this new v0.7.1 might exhibit surges of fireflies on certain scenes. We've not been able to track down the issue''

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The good part of that statement is that he confirms that v0.8 test builds do not display the fireflies problem. :)

i already used the 0.8 builds and the fireflies are still there.

so they didnt fix it.

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 7:26 AM

not what they are stating. I'd go with their take since they're the ones working on it over yours.

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

ice-boy ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 10:16 AM

then my fireflies problem are part of my computer problem correct?

or do you think that i made this up?

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 10:19 AM

frankly, I think your not setting things up right, you don't read the thread for the information you want and expect others to find it for you.

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

Jcleaver ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 11:51 AM

The other thing to keep in mind is what a lot of people call fireflies, are not fireflies at all.  If the specks are small white specks, they are not fireflies.  Fireflies are usually red, and very large.  They can be white, but they will be larger than normal.  Also, they grow in number over time, usually bunched together. 

This isn't to say that you don't have them, but be sure they are fireflies first.

ice-boy ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 12:48 PM

Quote - frankly, I think your not setting things up right, you don't read the thread for the information you want and expect others to find it for you.

i get fireflies when rendering with LuxBlend. this is the blender script for luxrendering.

i did everything like on the Lux forum and i get fireflies with a soft sun and glossy materials.

ice-boy ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 12:50 PM · edited Tue, 19 October 2010 at 12:51 PM

Quote - The other thing to keep in mind is what a lot of people call fireflies, are not fireflies at all.  If the specks are small white specks, they are not fireflies.  Fireflies are usually red, and very large.  They can be white, but they will be larger than normal.  Also, they grow in number over time, usually bunched together. 

This isn't to say that you don't have them, but be sure they are fireflies first.

at 4 hours i had more sharp bright (green,blue) spots then at 2 hours.they were blue and green because i had a red and green sofa in my room with glossy materials.i dont always get fireflies.95% time with interior rendering.

they will fix the problem . not a complaint. after all this is all free and open source.

bighousehx ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 1:40 PM

I'm curious:  For those having firefly problems, which integrator are you using?

Flenser ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 2:18 PM

If you're still getting excessive fireflies that don't go away after a few hours you should experiment with other surface integrators and change the pixel filter to gaussian.

I had a scene this weekend which wouldn't clean up, even after 8 hours, I switched the surface integrator from 'distributed path' to 'direct lighting' and the scene cleared up completely in 2 hours.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 9:58 PM

Quote - If you're still getting excessive fireflies that don't go away after a few hours you should experiment with other surface integrators and change the pixel filter to gaussian.

I had a scene this weekend which wouldn't clean up, even after 8 hours, I switched the surface integrator from 'distributed path' to 'direct lighting' and the scene cleared up completely in 2 hours.

Of course it did. The direct lighting integrator is the same as Poser 7 - straight up plain old raytracing camera to surface to light. There is no bounced secondary light in that model. The fireflies are bugs in the bounced light from surface to surface. That's why they talk about decreasing the kD and kS values. All that does is make them less likely - but they still happen.

Don't confuse grain with fireflies. Grain clears up with more samples. Fireflies don't. They're anomalous extreme values that end up in the accumulation buffer and cannot be overwhelmed back to normal even with 10,000 samples. Just as one set clears up, another is created. And if you get just 1 that has a luminance of 1 billion, that will very shortly bounce around and create a few hundred more at .5 billion luminance. It goes downhill from there.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

ice-boy ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 2:45 AM · edited Wed, 20 October 2010 at 2:51 AM

Luxrender 0.8 build from last week . i used all the glossy settings under 0.4. diffuse is under 0.8. metropolis/bidirectonal

fireflies ;) 

adp001 ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 7:19 AM

Quote - Luxrender 0.8 build from last week . i used all the glossy settings under 0.4. diffuse is under 0.8. metropolis/bidirectonal

fireflies ;) 

Did you set a portal for the sunlight?

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 21 October 2010 at 5:16 AM

yes there is a portal on every window.

stewer ( ) posted Thu, 21 October 2010 at 12:54 PM

I'm not sure if those bright spots are indicating a bug in the program - they just look like typical monte carlo noise to me.

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 22 October 2010 at 10:52 AM

bevelie me its not.after 4-7 hours all the nose is going away but those fieflies dont change. they dont get smaller .

ice-boy ( ) posted Sun, 24 October 2010 at 1:12 PM

any new renders?

Flenser ( ) posted Sun, 24 October 2010 at 5:37 PM

file_460713.jpg

This one just finished.

Rendered with the 7.1 release of luxrender, forced to use 'direct lighting' integrator, everything else got spoiled by fireflies.

Lights used: 1 red point light for the fire glow in the blast hole.

Green ambient light from the glass on the canister.

White ambient lights from the corridor's overhead fluorescents.

Finished off by a low value 'bloom' lens effect.

Skin is a straight export from Poser, no tweaking or mixing in mattetranslucent. No C.C. subdivision.

A new weekly v0.8 luxrender was released yesterday, so I'm going to re-render the scene using that version.

Latexluv ( ) posted Sun, 24 October 2010 at 9:30 PM

Unfortunately I cannot use the most recent build. There is not a non-openCL version.

Weapons of choice:

insane_machine ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2010 at 7:42 AM · edited Wed, 27 October 2010 at 7:43 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_460804.jpg

Hey there!

Actually my first post in the forums here. These two do both have some PS treatment, mostly because  it was intended as a personal final work comparison, so my apologies for that.

Still, the blue one is an old piece I finished some months ago in Poser. Today I though it's about time I tried lux so I took that scene with only lowering the backlight intensity from 200% to 75% (else it was way too strong for lux), used the script and rendered ~8 hours overnight.

There are also a few model improvements I tested out but all that hardly matters. Mats and lights are the same and  all I have to say is, I'm impressed.

So I guess this is my odd way of thanking all of you guys for the time and effort you've put into this. I'm very happy to have tried it.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2010 at 8:58 AM

Very nice! :)

Laurie

Jcleaver ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2010 at 9:50 AM

I know i shouldn't ask this, but i have been wondering whether this project has died.  I know Bagginsbill had said he would be busy, but his time would free up in October, and ADP hasn't been around for a while; although it could be he is on a much deserved vacation.

Anyway, just curious.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2010 at 9:57 AM

I hope it hasn't died. That would be unfortunate.

Laurie

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2010 at 10:23 AM

Nope not dead. But the company I work for pulled resources off my project leaving me to work alone. This made it take longer, and also made it all about me. I'm working 70 hours a week and I'm going to fall over soon.

I take time here and there to answer questions but work on the next stage of Luxpose is beyond a few minutes here and there.

I keep wanting to work on it but it's overwhelming. There are a bunch of new components that have to be added to the GUI in order to do the interactive material editing. That's a tough nut to crack as a distracted background task.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.