Sat, Jun 1, 5:53 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 01 3:00 am)

Subject: But all of you use Poser for rendering ?

xpdev ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 6:27 PM · edited Fri, 31 May 2024 at 2:23 AM

But all of you use Poser for rendering ?

I think there are more powerfull software, can you help me ?

many thanks.

Poser Pro 2014 SR 1 on Windows 7 64 bit
I use IDL, Gamma Correction and EZSkin for all final renders.

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 6:49 PM

Poser has a good renderer if you work to learn it.

There are other applications , some free that people use to render in. All require some reworking of materials. Povray is one renderer which has a poseray converter for Poser.

There is now a Poser to luxrender script, luxrender being free.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 7:09 PM · edited Thu, 26 August 2010 at 7:11 PM

file_458275.jpg

If you want a decent render, you've gotta check out this [ thread](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2807395&page=1)

Not ready for primetime just yet, but close ;o). Attached is an image I rendered with it a few versions back from where it is now...lol. There is one caveat: for now, LuxRender has no GPU rendering so it's slow, much slower than Firefly. However, GPU rendering is in development. Jump on over and check out some of the test images there :o).

Laurie

FrankT ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 7:13 PM

How much do you want to spend on a render engine ?  You have a choice between free and very expensive.  All of them will need a lot of work done on the materials though

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 7:31 PM

I use the in-program Firefly engine for Poser most of the time, I also use Vue7 with SkinVue if I need something done that I can't get done in Poser.

bevans84 ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 8:56 PM

Quote - If you want a decent render, you've gotta check out this thread

Not ready for primetime just yet, but close ;o). Attached is an image I rendered with it a few versions back from where it is now...lol. There is one caveat: for now, LuxRender has no GPU rendering so it's slow, much slower than Firefly. However, GPU rendering is in development. Jump on over and check out some of the test images there :o).

Laurie

Laurie, that is very nice!!
Well done.

Lzy724 ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 9:54 PM

Quote - If you want a decent render, you've gotta check out this thread

Laurie

Well done Laurie, I love the lighting, great trees too, is this out of poser??

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 10:01 PM

It was set up in Poser but rendered in LuxRender while I was testing the exporter alpha bagginsbill, adp001 and odf are working on :o).

It's a free unbiased renderer with realistic lighting.

Laurie

DgerzeeBoy ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 10:09 PM

I use Poser for...well...posing, but Bryce (now 7 Pro) for rendering. I have for years. It's an inexpensive program with a good, solid render engine. I also like what it does with lighting and textures.

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 10:26 PM

I've always used the Firefly rendering engine within Poser--I've found the default settings to be useless, but I get good results with a little playing around. POV-Ray does lovely renders, but I've never tried to export from Poser to POV-Ray (and I find working in POV-Ray to be a bit of a pain anyway). Laurie, that is a very nice image!

~*I've made it my mission to build Cyberworld, one polygon at a time*~

Watch it happen at my technology blog, Building Cyberworld.

infinity10 ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 1:10 AM

Yes I render with Poser.  

Eternal Hobbyist

xpdev ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 1:13 AM

thank you to everyone.

the question a have made is to find better software to make rendering of Daz people (skin in important) inside indoor rooms.

What about again ?

many thanks

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 2:04 AM

No, I only use Poser to get people into my scenes, I render in Vue 8.5 Infinite..

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

xpdev ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 2:56 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_458283.jpg

for example I do not think that poser can get this type of lighting.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 3:38 AM

Bryce 7 is pretty darn good for rendering as well.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

xpdev ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 3:49 AM

But Bryce 7 import Poser works to rendering ?

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 4:40 AM

There's actually 2 ways to export Poser items to Bryce, you can either, export from Poser as OBJ files & import them into Bryce or you can install Daz Studio & get everything set up how you want then hit the "send to Bryce" option. There might be another way but I'm in Linux right now, Poser & Bryce are on my Windows partition.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Klebnor ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 6:57 AM

Carrara will handle most DAZ and poser content and has excellent lighting and rendering.

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

WandW ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 7:58 AM

Quote - Carrara will handle most DAZ and poser content and has excellent lighting and rendering.

Plus Carrara 7 was free in recent issues of 3D Artist and 3D World-check your local B&N...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Michael314 ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 2:59 PM · edited Fri, 27 August 2010 at 2:59 PM

Octane is also a good alternative if you want unbiased rendering.
 It's not free, but affordable (99 EUR while still in beta) and amazingly fast (purely GPU based).

Best regards,
  Michael

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 4:26 PM

GPUs are over-rated and rendering apps are moving away from them.  Multi-core CPUs are where it's at now.  I just use Poser for clothing and posing and then export to other rendering apps.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 4:36 PM

Quote - GPUs are over-rated and rendering apps are moving away from them.

Citation Please as they say. I've not seen that in any trade papers etc... where have you seen it?

adp001 ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 5:09 PM

Quote - GPUs are over-rated and rendering apps are moving away from them.  Multi-core CPUs are where it's at now.  I just use Poser for clothing and posing and then export to other rendering apps.

Try to beat this with CPU's:  [http://octanerender.com/cubix.html

](http://octanerender.com/cubix.html)

stewer ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 5:27 PM · edited Fri, 27 August 2010 at 5:32 PM

Simple: try to render anything that doesn't fit in GPU memory.

Getting data to and from the GPU efficiently is a big challenge. In CPU rendering, it's quite common to load and unload textures on demand in order to be able to render tens of GBs of textures using just a couple hundred or even dozen MB of RAM. To my knowledge, nothing like that exists for GPU rendering (yet).

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 5:46 PM

Quote - > Quote - GPUs are over-rated and rendering apps are moving away from them.

Citation Please as they say. I've not seen that in any trade papers etc... where have you seen it?

Here's one.
http://www.luxology.com/tv/training/view.aspx?id=536

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 5:48 PM

Quote - Simple: try to render anything that doesn't fit in GPU memory. 

Or try to render just simple displacement on a GPU.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 5:48 PM

got anything thats not video please? call me a luddite but I prefer to read...

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 5:51 PM

You think that a GPU is the same as a CPU and that they can run the same code.  You just keep on thinking that then.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 5:52 PM

erm no
I know they are different. don't start an arguement with me please. I just asked for more information. thats all.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 5:54 PM · edited Fri, 27 August 2010 at 5:55 PM

There's reading in the video if that helps.  I'm guessing you weren't at SIGGRAPH when this all came about.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 5:56 PM

I wasn't lucky enough to be hence me asking. as to the video I'm not in a location to watch it thats why I asked for reading matter.

but thanks anyway.

Zaycrow ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 5:57 PM

GPU rendering is still very very new. But I for one have jumped on the GPU train and I don't think I could ever go back to the slow CPU again.

Teyon ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 6:04 PM

I use either Poser's render engine, ZBrush's render engine or Modo's render engine (or a combination of those). Ultimately, you have to find what works for you within your price range. 

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 6:14 PM

Quote - I use either Poser's render engine, ZBrush's render engine or Modo's render engine (or a combination of those). Ultimately, you have to find what works for you within your price range. 

Teyon,
Are you using a combination of them for any SSS skin rendering?  Or do you get by using one of them most of the time?

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 6:15 PM · edited Fri, 27 August 2010 at 6:16 PM

Quote - I wasn't lucky enough to be hence me asking. as to the video I'm not in a location to watch it thats why I asked for reading matter.

but thanks anyway.

No prob.  I can't watch the vid either where I'm at.  Dial-up.

FrankT ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 6:21 PM

Hmmm . . .
I use Poser (very rarely these days,) Vue or MentalRay.
I haven't got round to playing with the new ZBrush render engine yet

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Teyon ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 6:25 PM

I get by using one for the most part. Sometimes, I want a certain effect or look that one does better than the other, so I'll do render passes and composite the images. Modo's render engine is super fast and handles SSS very well, so I'm using that alot more now.

Teyon ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 6:27 PM

Just as an example - Poser's OpenGL preview render engine is actually really good for getting a toon look quickly that I can enhance with a line art render from ZBrush and then use modo for special effects/glows and what not that may take longer to do in post.  Then I composite that all together to get a nice look in the final image.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 11:30 PM · edited Fri, 27 August 2010 at 11:30 PM

Quote - But all of you use Poser for rendering ?

I think there are more powerfull software, can you help me ?

many thanks.

If you have the money and a lot of patience, I'd recommend rendering your Poser figures in Vue Infinite using the SkinVue plugin to get some pretty good skin rendering (along with some plant life).

Plutom ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 6:34 PM

For Poser and Daz characters, I like what Poser renders so I will save the rendering as a .tif and export it to Vue.  In Vue, I make a billboard and put it there along with its mask.  Then I adjust Vue's lighting to match that of the figure.  Works great and you can put many figures into Vue as billboards and it won't bog down the computer.  The finished rendering doesn't look too bad.  Jan

acrionx ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 10:29 PM

I've used Poser's Firefly and 3ds Max.

www.acrionx.com | My Freebies | My Store | My Youtube Channel

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 12:09 AM

I'd like to see some Bryce 7 renders of Poser figures that look pretty good.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 2:31 AM

One Poser figure I can say with certainty that looks better in Bryce7 than Poser is that cat shaped robot Sak-Ex I think it's called. SanctumArt made it.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 2:45 AM

Ok.  I thought you were talking about human figures with skin.

Magic_Man ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 5:06 AM

Quote - You think that a GPU is the same as a CPU and that they can run the same code.  You just keep on thinking that then.

They are both processors, just architecturally different because of the different roles they are designed and intended for.
Obviously the same code is not going to run on them in the same way that the same code for different CPU architectures wouldn't run on the another.

If the code is written to take advantage of GPUs then, because of the huge parallel pipeline processing advantage current GPUs have over current mainstream CPUs, then they would have an advantage because that sort of processing architecture suits rendering.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 5:19 AM · edited Sun, 29 August 2010 at 5:21 AM

Quote - They are both processors, just architecturally different because of the different roles they are designed and intended for.
Obviously the same code is not going to run on them in the same way that the same code for different CPU architectures wouldn't run on the another.

If the code is written to take advantage of GPUs then, because of the huge parallel pipeline processing advantage current GPUs have over current mainstream CPUs, then they would have an advantage because that sort of processing architecture suits rendering.

We can agree to disagree there.

samhal ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2010 at 5:21 PM

While definitely NOT cheap, I don't believe anyone has mentioned Cinema4D yet...still my favorite renderer (among the many other things it can do!)

i7 6800 (6 core/12 thread), 24 GB RAM, 1 gtx 1080 ti (8GB Vram) + 1 Titan X (12GB Vram), PP11, Octane/Poser plugin, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Oh, and a wiener dog!

prixat ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2010 at 7:19 PM · edited Mon, 30 August 2010 at 7:26 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_458456.jpg

I use cinema, its a £3000 Lux exporter for Studio :laugh:

This is an old DAZ scene sent to Lux with no setup except moving the camera. (No postwork either)

regards
prixat

ManOfSteel ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2010 at 11:28 PM

Quote -  I use Poser for...well...posing, but Bryce (now 7 Pro) for rendering. I have for years. It's an inexpensive program with a good, solid render engine. I also like what it does with lighting and textures.

I do the same thing and have been doing it for years.  I export Poser scenes/figures as OBJ files and import them into Bryce.  I don't bother with DAZ Studio.  All my frequently used texture maps are saved as materials in Bryce so retexturing the objects is very easy.

Paloth ( ) posted Tue, 31 August 2010 at 1:39 AM

*This is an old DAZ scene sent to Lux with no setup except moving the camera. (No postwork either)

The faceted look of the edge of the shadow along boundary of the hip and waist suggests that the model needs better smoothing.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.