Sat, Jun 1, 5:06 AM CDT

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 27 10:13 pm)

Subject: Getting Primitive, My VC entry

aspirantnemo ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2001 at 1:31 PM · edited Sat, 18 May 2024 at 5:33 PM

file_196659.jpg

Damn lights, but I wanted to give a try to some night atmosphere... a quick and dangerous way for adding too many accent lights ;-) (finally, I simplified to a total of 8 lights) All objects "modeled" in VUE v.2(yes, Fabrice : _All_). No bitmats, although I've still to further explore some procedurals gems (or pitfalls?) in those fractal functions. Anyway, this VC was a pleasant blind for discovering Vue, even if my sleeping time as suffered lately 8-). Regards, Herv

agiel ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2001 at 1:40 PM

Impressive work ! I was going to try out something tonight but after seeing the past entries, I don't feel up to the tast suddenly :)

aspirantnemo ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2001 at 1:47 PM

Thank you Agiel, but you know, I'm not sure I've the strenght to model anything for the next week. :-) Oh, the Arch stone were made with terrains btw, with a 64x48 canvas and some quick and dirty lines in the terrain editor. Herv

tradivoro ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2001 at 2:27 PM

Hey, this is really terrific work... Everything looks really good..

MikeJ ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2001 at 2:32 PM

EXCELLENT, Herve', really well-done! Even the face was made in Vue? You have done something really awesome here. :)

aspirantnemo ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2001 at 4:08 PM

file_196661.jpg

Many thanks folks. Yes even the face : 26 or so primitives (but only 4 or 5 boleans if I remember well), though the face isn't the object that gave me the biggest headdaches (in fact, the compo prevents you from seeing the details of those real culprits methinks ;-) Herv

aspirantnemo ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2001 at 4:09 PM

file_196662.jpg

A closup render of the same... Herv

MikeJ ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2001 at 4:15 PM

Amazing!

wibbleman ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2001 at 4:21 PM

Wow. Love the moonlight and interior lighting. I feel like I want to pan left and see what's illuminating the face. The arch and window seats are so real. How did you do the arch with a terrain? Mark

Odyssey ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2001 at 4:30 PM

Very Very Nice :)

gilbertdid ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2001 at 5:21 PM

Very nice and very imaginative use of primitives.

aspirantnemo ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2001 at 5:27 PM

I first tried to make the stone arch with drawing only one terrain - Surprisingly (to me at least) this was more difficult and less sastifying. The I simply did medieval building block of sort. For economy I reseted and resize the terrain down to 64x48, but I could (and should) have done still less since its just about making square like stones. To draw in the terrain editor : cranking the /Softness/ slider to its max, for a rightangled "slope" (ie : the sides and top/bottom of the each block. Using the /Minimum/ and /Maximum/ buttons is needed to have a flat "face", which can then be sightly bumped here and there with 2 or 3 /Terrace/ effect and 5 or 6 /Grit/. The rest was just masonnery - litteraly! I put the center-top terrain stone first, above and inside the arch (made from a cube bolean-diff with cyl+cube#2)the duplicated this block on the side with an quick redrawing in the terrain editor to reduce the sides angles (from a front viewpoint). If you look at the picture I guess this will be clearer, and one can easily see that once I got an vertical half of the arch I simply duplicater each stones to make the other side. This kind of "mirror" was halas not possible with a group. That's why once an objet is duplicated : simply add or remove an "-" (minus) sign in the parametter box of the necessary position axis (in 'X'for me); do the same for a rotation axis since each block is successively rotated as you can see. In short, i first rotate and pose manually, then modify only the positive/negative sign in parametter for the second, "twin" object. Well, I'm not sure Im clear enough, but I hope. :-) Herv

Varian ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2001 at 10:18 PM

Herv this is outstanding and impressive work! I love the books and the globe and the lute and...wow, there's so many cool things in this! Thanks for the pointers about the arch and the "behind the scenes" peek at the face. Really quite impressive! :)

tradivoro ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2001 at 1:14 AM

Hey yeah, thanks for showing how you did the face... This is really impressive work... And you did it all in vue 2, and everyone would think it's vue 4... :)

gebe ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2001 at 2:31 AM

Very nice and a great work to assemble primitives :-) Guitta

jpcr ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2001 at 2:39 AM

wow!!! i love it. another one, please!!!! jp

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.