Thu, Jun 13, 11:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 13 12:32 am)

Subject: Vue Forum Banners - Important questions

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 3:55 PM · edited Sun, 29 October 2023 at 11:51 PM
Forum Moderator

Hi!
In an effort to bring things up to date can anyone tell me what the result was of the New Banners competition?

Do we need more banners? Do you want another banner competition?

Who makes the coffee around here?

Answers please on the back of a Martian 20 prim note.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Rutra ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 4:06 PM

😄

Was there a banner competition? Don't remember one. I just remember a request for more banners, that's all, a loooong time ago. But maybe I'm mistaken.

I think we need banners, the ones currently on display are a bit old, IMO, and most of them do not reflect the "state-of-the-art" of the Vue gallery.

As to coffee... I have no idea, I don't even like coffee. 😄

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 4:51 PM

The asking for Banners is called a competition LOL ...
And the prize is euhm.. everybody see's your banner... 😉

But we can do with some new one's for sure...

Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

Rutra ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 4:57 PM

Quote - "The asking for Banners is called a competition LOL ...
And the prize is euhm.. everybody see's your banner...
"

Never thought of it that way. A competition generally has a clear winner, runner-up, etc, and I never saw any of that regarding banners. As to the prize... well, the current banners don't even mention the author, so what kind of prize is that?!

impish ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 5:02 PM · edited Sun, 16 August 2009 at 5:03 PM

To borrow from an old peanuts cartoon - its like wetting yourself in dark pants: you get a warm feeling but no one else knows.

Some new banners would be nice.

impworks | vue news blog | twitter | pinterest

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 5:06 PM

Well sometimes its just for good fun and laughs ...
Its not always about getting something ..whats the fun in that ...
And i think its called a competition in all forums here ...
and it never has any real prizes other then "you" knowing thats its your banner on top of the page...
and for some that good enough :}

Chris ..

Quote - Quote - "The asking for Banners is called a competition LOL ...
And the prize is euhm.. everybody see's your banner...
"

Never thought of it that way. A competition generally has a clear winner, runner-up, etc, and I never saw any of that regarding banners. As to the prize... well, the current banners don't even mention the author, so what kind of prize is that?!

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

Rutra ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 5:06 PM

Quote - "To borrow from an old peanuts cartoon - its like wetting yourself in dark pants: you get a warm feeling but no one else knows."

:lol:

Rutra ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 5:11 PM

Quote - "Well sometimes its just for good fun and laughs ...
Its not always about getting something ..whats the fun in that ...
And i think its called a competition in all forums here ...
and it never has any real prizes other then "you" knowing thats its your banner on top of the page...
and for some that good enough :}
"

Chris, mind you that I don't care about any 'prize' or winner nomination. I'd send pics even without any of these (e-on uses lots of my images for lots of stuff and I'm not credited either). I just don't think the word 'competition' is appropriate for an event where no one knows who's competing, no one knows who wins and no one gets any recognition...

gillbrooks ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 5:54 PM

Quote - To borrow from an old peanuts cartoon - its like wetting yourself in dark pants: you get a warm feeling but no one else knows.

Some new banners would be nice.

BWAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

Gill

bruno021 ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 5:57 PM

There were new banners made at the time of Vue6, Agiel wanted some. I know because one I made pops up sometimes...But yeah, new banners would be good I think.
Oh, and thaks goodness, no warm feelongs in "those" parts yet!

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 6:09 PM
Forum Moderator

Well the brightest lights on this Christmas tree would have noticed the "Contest - We Need More Banners" at the top of the page right under - yup! You guessed it! - the Vue Banner!

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Rutra ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 6:22 PM

Quote - "Well the brightest lights on this Christmas tree would have noticed the "Contest - We Need More Banners" at the top of the page right under - yup! You guessed it! - the Vue Banner!"

Now that you mention it, yes, it's there! :-) It's one of those things, when something stands unchanged for long it becomes invisible.

I just read the rules and the word 'context' seems completely out of place to me: there's no winners, all submitted images are used, no credits are given. That's not a contest by any criteria I know. :-)

agiel ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 6:47 PM

A couple of point to clarify the Banners Contest.

The word 'contest' comes from the fact i used the Contest system to manage entries. I did not want to have a real contest, with a winner, because I wanted it to be open for a very long time. Look at the submission dates on the contest page - banners were submitted for over 2 years.

And I wasn't what it meant to have a winner in a banner challenge anyway. Does that mean the winning banners would be the only ones used ? what about the others ? I wanted to use all of the entries, not just winning ones.

Regarding credits, you can see the name of authors on the contest page already. It is not ideal, I know. The banners are displayed randomly from a folder in the community pages of the forum. They are saved with the name of their author already. I was planning on displaying the name as credits in a caption line, but I didn't take the time to find out how to do that in PHP when I was working on it. It shouldn't be a lot of work for someone knowledgeable in PHP.

Looking at the number of submissions we got and the quality of each banner, I would like to think this challenge was successful. It did provide quality banners for the forum - something that was sorely lacking at the time.

melikia ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 8:23 PM

coffee's over here.... always count on da kitty to have lots and lots of coffee....
ZING! BOUNCE!  BOING!

(oh, and updating banners would be cool) =D

Rarer than a hairy egg and madder than a box of frogs....

< o > < o >    You've been VUED!    < o > < o >
         >                                                     >
         O                                                    O

ArtPearl ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 8:49 PM

file_437221.jpg

I think credit should be given to banner creators. I often wonder who made a banner. (I'm too lazy to try and find it in the contest page). But...couldnt the artists add their name to the banner? You have to know how to add writing to the banner to write "vue", shouldnt be hard to add the name. (and that will make it consistent with the specific image rather than having a uniform credit for all). May I suggest that it will be made clear that people who dont have the cutting edge versions, are also very welcome to contribute, they often feel left out. Anyone wanted coffee? (modeled in Hexagon, textured in Vue)

"I paint that which comes from the imagination or from dreams, or from an unconscious drive. I photograph the things that I do not wish to paint, the things which already have an existence."
Man Ray, modernist painter
http://artpearl.redbubble.com/

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 17 August 2009 at 5:05 AM
Forum Moderator

Thank you for all the feedback, Guys!
I guess the short answer is - if you have a banner you would like to see up there, let me know.

I think it might be a good idea to see each one 'signed' as it were. So we could go from there. That is, everyone who would like, create a new banner and include a sig on it. It's not such a big deal to change them.

(Blows cobwebs off backroom files, coughs and decides getting an industrial vacuum cleaner might be a good idea.)

nruddock ( ) posted Mon, 17 August 2009 at 5:16 AM

Quote - (Blows cobwebs off backroom files, coughs and decides getting an industrial vacuum cleaner might be a good idea.)

Probably a job for Aggie and Kim 😉

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 17 August 2009 at 5:29 AM
Forum Moderator

Probably a job for Aggie and Kim

I wouldn't have those two around my house if they paid me.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.