Sat, Jun 15, 4:58 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 14 12:05 pm)

Subject: How to do Fresnel Effect?

yk3d ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 8:26 PM · edited Sun, 29 October 2023 at 6:12 AM

Hello!

I just recently started to use Vue for work. I used to work with 3D MAX and we have a way to control they reflectivity varies with camera angle by using "Falloff" map in Fresnel mde.

I'm sure that such this is possible in Vue by using Function or something simillar.

Baiscally I want object to become more reflective as it gets more at angle to the camera - something like car paint does.

Thanks a lot!

dburdick ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 12:49 AM

Use the "Angle of Incidence" node in the function editor and plug it into the variable reflection channel of the material

bobbystahr ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 2:29 AM

Hey..that's cool...I didn't even ask and I got an answer,.....that question had been bouncin' round my brain for a day or so now..LOL...thanx man.....in Imagine I have a 'Fakley'[as in sunglasses] texture that does that but hadn't yet figured out that function.....

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

yk3d ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 5:00 PM

thanks a lot!

petshoo ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 3:12 PM

Actually, there's a simpler way to do the Fresnel effect: in the transparency tab of the material editor, there's a slider that controls the "turn reflective with angle". That's how Vue calls Fresnel. You can even modulate the effect.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 6:43 PM

Wow..never thought of lookin' there...well,... maybe I did but these old eyes and tiny fonts are a bad mix...heh heh heh...off to explore.....

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

chippwalters ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 2:25 AM

Quote - Actually, there's a simpler way to do the Fresnel effect: in the transparency tab of the material editor, there's a slider that controls the "turn reflective with angle". That's how Vue calls Fresnel. You can even modulate the effect.

While that works with transparent surfaces, it won't work with single material reflective surfaces which aren't transparent...like metals, or car paint.

Then you need to do use the other technique.

-Chipp

bobbystahr ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 2:39 AM

So I've begun to find out...oh well, "you can never have too many paths to the well" as they say...just don't ask me who they are...LOL

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

bruno021 ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 4:26 AM

file_342430.jpg

When plugginfg the variable reflectivity channel to the angle of incidence node, you also need to apply a filter to the node in the function editor, plug in a simple filter and edit it, so it looks like this:

yk3d ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 6:16 AM

actually, I just found that Vue comes with 4 or 5 Car Paint materials in it's library.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.