Sat, Jun 1, 9:22 AM CDT

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 01 6:55 am)

Subject: Terrain Height Maps Producing Jagged Edges - Help!

LMcLean ( ) posted Thu, 30 March 2006 at 7:07 PM · edited Mon, 20 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

file_287734.jpg

I have created this terrain as per a tutorial, but for some reason it is showing rough jagged edges and I can't figure out why. Image 1 -Created Standard Terrain 256 x 256 -Loaded image into Terrain Editor (.tiff image 16" x 16" at 72 ppi = 4.1 MB) (Just in case your wondering I resized the image to 4"x 4" 300 ppi = 4.1 MB and it stil produced the same jagged edges)

LMcLean ( ) posted Thu, 30 March 2006 at 7:09 PM

file_287735.jpg

Here I have resized the terrain to 1000 x 1000 and it still is jagged

LMcLean ( ) posted Thu, 30 March 2006 at 7:12 PM

file_287736.jpg

Now this image is 2000 x 2000 and I doubled the polygon count 2x too!! Still jagged. All of these renders are rendered at "Final" setting too. The tutorial says don't use a terrain larger than 256 x 256 but how can I use that when it looks so rough?

chippwalters ( ) posted Thu, 30 March 2006 at 10:09 PM

Attached Link: http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/vuelab/TerrainMapping.htm

You might want to check out my tutorial on Terrain Mapping.

Monsoon ( ) posted Fri, 31 March 2006 at 5:20 AM

Definitely check out chippwalters' tutorial....never knew about that diffuse button!! I would make a new grayscale 512x512 pixels but at 300 dpi right off the bat. You're using a HUGE image at very low resolution. I think that may be your problem with jaggies.

thundering1 ( ) posted Fri, 31 March 2006 at 7:02 AM

The dpi doesn't matter - it's the pixel size - a 256x256 pixel image will give you jaggies where an origianlly 2,048x2,048 will not - doesn't matter if it's 300dpi or 10dpi - it's STILL x-amount of pixels by x-amount of pixels. The higher the cleaner - unfortunately it'll also take more memory but looks better.Good luck- -Lew ;-)

Monsoon ( ) posted Fri, 31 March 2006 at 8:19 AM

Well that's good to know...I'll pass that on to the ladies at work as well (seems we have a dpi debate goin' on). Scratch that one then lol..... So maybe try that 'diffuse' button under 'erosion'? Unless....Lorne, are you using an image on a procedural terrain? That will always make jaggies in the geometry....from my own experience.

LMcLean ( ) posted Sat, 01 April 2006 at 1:19 AM

Chipp Walters, I read through your tutorial, but I can't see anything new I should be doing. Monsoon, "Diffues Button" I don't see that in Chipps tutorial do you mind telling me where it is in Vue? Thundering1, you said: "it's the pixel size - a 256x256 pixel image will give you jaggies where an origianlly 2,048x2,048 will not - doesn't matter if it's 300dpi or 10dpi - it's STILL x-amount of pixels by x-amount of pixels. The higher the cleaner" I thought this was the case too, but I made the height map for this image at 2400 x 2400 pixels and it still looks jagged. Here's the steps I took 1. I created a Standard Terrain (the default is 1000 x 1000) I changed the size to 512 x 512. I also tried with the terrain set to 1000 x 1000 2. Then I created an image (height map) in Photoshop with these settings. (2400 x 2400 pixels) -300 ppi -Saved as greyscale image 3. I then selected "Picture" and loaded my image image. 4. Rendered the file. One thing that still confuses me is how do I know what size to make my "StandardTerrain" and does it matter? If it does how do I determine the correct size? I also remember read in the Vue manual that Standard Terrains are lower in quality than Procedural Terrains. So I guess there's no way to create a custom terrain using heightmaps in Vue unless you want jagged edges. I was hoping I could use a custom height map I created for a project. Maybe the next version of Vue will address this. It's too bad Vue cannot use heightmaps with procedural terrains either. This is disappointing... Thanks for all of your help though!

chippwalters ( ) posted Sat, 01 April 2006 at 1:31 AM

Attached Link: http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/vuelab/TerrainMappingII.htm

Check out what I say about Diffuse here. It should do the trick.

LMcLean ( ) posted Sat, 01 April 2006 at 1:58 AM

file_287737.jpg

chipp, Are you talking about the Gaussian Blur ? I didn't see diffuse anywhere. The height map I used in the above examples looked like this and the transition was smooth. I used Gaussian Blur too! Sorry if I am not understanding you. I didn't see diffuse anywhere. Thanks Lorne

chippwalters ( ) posted Sat, 01 April 2006 at 2:11 AM

Attached Link: http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/altTerrainBuilder/UsingaltTerrainBuilder.htm

I am so sorry. Color me VERY stupid!!! It's the Diffusive control. This the the right link!! (text at the bottom of the page) sorry again ;-)

Monsoon ( ) posted Sat, 01 April 2006 at 4:21 AM

Hmmmm....this is very strange. By your sequence of steps, you shouldn't be having any jaggies in the first place. I don't get it. I've tried to reproduce them but even with low res images and terrain (both 256x256) I can't get jaggies like you got. Boggle....

LMcLean ( ) posted Mon, 03 April 2006 at 11:14 AM

Monsoon, I used the Diffusive control and clicked it 3X, but the terrain still has the jaggies. I think I may start from scratch. Monsoon could you post your steps (image size and terrain size etc.) or even better post a file so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thanks

thundering1 ( ) posted Mon, 03 April 2006 at 12:14 PM

file_287738.jpg

I can't for the life of me figure it out - I used the above posted image as a 256x256 terrain, gave it a generic texture, made a generic water plane, and this is in "Final" - even in "Sketch" it gave almost completely smooth aliasing. Maybe check your anti-aliasing to see if they're both on, and have high or low numbers - both object and texture. The higher the numbers, the smoother (and longer rendertimes). The lower, or even off, and you'd get jaggies. When I have a moment later I'll try it again with everything turned off. Good luck - this is pretty confusing! -Lew ;-)

Polax ( ) posted Tue, 04 April 2006 at 6:55 AM

file_287739.jpg

Hi After many tries, I came to the conclusion that the problem is the water plane being critically tangent to the lowest part of the terrain. see pic attached: both were rendered in final and jaggies appear in top image. slightly moving terrain down makes jaggies disappearin bottom pic.

thundering1 ( ) posted Tue, 04 April 2006 at 7:34 AM

Brilliant! (for those of you who've seen the crudely animated funny Guinness commercials - you'll know the tone of voice I'm using) I gotta try that! -Lew ;-)

yggdrasil ( ) posted Tue, 04 April 2006 at 7:43 AM

Gradient maps typically loose their smoothness if you push too much towards the white or black extremes. There are few colours between black and almost black for anti-aliasing. You can sort of see the effect in the above photoshop image where I've used the levels adjustment control to highlight the shadow detail. Note the pixelated edges around the darkest "shelves" on the modified image. The transitions are much smoother towards the mid-range. -- Mark

Mark

thundering1 ( ) posted Tue, 04 April 2006 at 7:45 AM

Holy smokes there it is! Look at 'em go - that is so funky! Had to get it pretty much RIGHT AT the bottom of the terrain to make the jaggies appear - ANY higher and it smoothed out. -Lew ;-)

yggdrasil ( ) posted Tue, 04 April 2006 at 7:55 AM

I don't have Vue on my machine here at work, but you'd probably get a similar effect by trying to align with the very top of the terrain for a smaller island.

Mark

Monsoon ( ) posted Tue, 04 April 2006 at 8:24 AM

Bravo Thundering!!!! You solved the mystery!

thundering1 ( ) posted Tue, 04 April 2006 at 8:54 AM

Actually Polax did - I just ran the scene again with his info - he's right! I just reread my post and realize I didn't mention it - pressed for time and amused!

thundering1 ( ) posted Tue, 04 April 2006 at 8:56 AM

BTW - sorry for not mentioning/thanking you Polax!

Polax ( ) posted Tue, 04 April 2006 at 9:06 AM

:)) no prob it is nice you could confirm and yqqdrasil pointed an xplanation to it the most important was to have this puzzling puzzle solved cheers Paul

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.