Fri, Jun 14, 3:01 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 14 12:05 pm)

Subject: Why is Vue so slow?

dadt ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 7:52 AM · edited Thu, 02 November 2023 at 7:25 PM

I loaded a wavefront object and it seemed to take forever so I did some comparisons using the same object loading into empty scenes.

Vue 5I ---- 293 secs
Bryce 5.5 ---- 25 secs
Poser 6 ---- 18 secs
Carrara 5 ---- 7 secs

Why such a large difference?

Message edited on: 03/23/2006 07:54

garyandcatherine ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 12:02 PM

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!! I can't believe it takes so long for you. I have absolutely no idea whats up. I do have a suggestion, try doing a comparison with another obj and compare the results. It could be that just "that model" has issues with VUE where others might not.

GPFrance ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 2:14 PM

Look into Vue's rendering-, atmosphere- and sun/lights-settings, and adjust those to the quality you want to obtain. It is really "easy", to have Vue render a "simple" object in many, many hours... ;-) Depends on what one ask's it to do... :-) Look at Peggy Walter's "guidelines" http://users.tns.net/~mwalter1/

dadt ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 2:16 PM

The problem was not in rendering but in loading the object into Vue.

GPFrance ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 2:28 PM

Ah sorry, I misunderstood. I got no problems to load, but I observed that same items take a little longer in .obj format, than in 3ds format. I thought that it might have something to do with a more complete texture transfer ? I don't know.

dadt ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 2:36 PM

Its just a plain OBJ with no textures, but I've tried other similar objects and they load quickly so it must be a problem with the particular mesh.

GPFrance ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 2:45 PM

I would be curious to know, if you'd export this one from Vue to .obj, and back again into Vue, how much time the second version will take to load, and if everything will be there...

diolma ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 2:56 PM · edited Thu, 23 March 2006 at 2:58 PM

I have absolutely no proof of this, just a gut feeling...
I suspect (in fact I'm almost certain) that Vue converts all "foreign format" imports to its own internal format (.vob, probably). There could be a difficulty with the transformation from .obj to .vob, which requires more time to resolve, especially if .vob is a format which differs substantially from .obj, 'cos of emphasis on some sort of performance optimisation (possibly in memory used)...

Or not...

Cheers,
Diolma
Edited to add the obvious: Once a .obj has been loaded (and if you're intending to use it again in a different pic), save as .vob... But you knew that already, I suspect..

Message edited on: 03/23/2006 14:58

dadt ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 3:02 PM

I've just tried exporting it as OBJ and Vue appeared to lock up. After 5 mins there was no apparent movement of the progress bar although it was using 98% of processor time.

dadt ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 3:08 PM

Diolma- I think you are right about Vue converting imported objects,this one has 19k polygons but Vue reports it as having 136k.

diolma ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 3:18 PM · edited Thu, 23 March 2006 at 3:24 PM

19k to 136??? Sheesh that's about errm... (excuse me while I fire up calculator)...

A 7-fold expansion (plus a tad)..

Wonder if Vue is doing a "smoothing" exercise on import?...

Cheers,
Diolma

Message edited on: 03/23/2006 15:24

dadt ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 3:25 PM

file_335223.jpg

I don't think it needs smoothing, its only a sphere!

dadt ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 3:47 PM

The plot thickens. I made a similar object but much simpler with only 14 holes. The unsmoothed mesh was 180 polygons and in Vue was also 180. After smoothing the mesh was 720 polygons but in Vue was 960. After smoothing again it was 2880 polygons but in Vue was 4320. I can't see any logical reason for this.

diolma ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 4:19 PM

Hmmm... Interesting (if only for "Why The F*k" purposes...) Does Vue have a "smoothing angle" that kicks in? That might account for it. If I have time tomorrow (and if I remember), I might frt about with this, starting from a cube, then smoothing etc. til the poly count differs... It'd be nice to know... (Unless, of course, anyone more knowledgable chimes in..) Cheers, Diolma

Trelawney ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 9:10 PM

Hi dadt I don't know if you own Poser or not, but if I have any issues importing other formats to Vue, I import them to Poser 6 instead, save as .PZ3, and then import that to Vue. Not a 'fix' I realise, but if you can get the object into Vue ok, then you can save as a VOB, and then hopefully find that will load a great deal faster for you, Kind regards

GPFrance ( ) posted Fri, 24 March 2006 at 3:58 AM

If Vue blocked on exporting the data to obj, there seems to be a problem with the mesh and Vue's calculus...

I had problems with preceeding versions of Vue, with hollow or other complex objects. Especially, when the thing was mathematically exact, symmetrical, and centered at zero, so many opposed points just differed by the +/- prefix, but not in ciphers. Came up with lacking faces, holes, had points at 32thousand (seems to be some kind of infinity). But mostly, it just ran into a wall and blocked.
Haven't had such problems lately (unchecked "resize and center").

I encounter difficulties when importing complex dxf architecture into Vue. Those I pass over to the free Cinema4d v.CE6, where I can check for errors, and export via 3ds to Vue (ignoring the alert for out-of-date textures).
Up to now, that worked clean and fast, here.

chippwalters ( ) posted Sat, 25 March 2006 at 2:07 AM

"The plot thickens. I made a similar object but much simpler with only 14 holes. The unsmoothed mesh was 180 polygons and in Vue was also 180.
After smoothing the mesh was 720 polygons but in Vue was 960.
After smoothing again it was 2880 polygons but in Vue was 4320.
I can't see any logical reason for this."

I'm guessing Vue is probably triangulating all polys greater than 3 sides, as it does when importing objects, as triangles are guaranteed to be coplanar. And since it appears there are a number of concave polys, it is taking it's time.

GPFrance ( ) posted Sat, 25 March 2006 at 3:21 AM

Hi, chippwalters ! I think you hit that one - sounds logic !

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.