Sat, Jun 1, 6:37 AM CDT

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 27 10:13 pm)

Subject: Cylindrical Mapping a Tire

chippwalters ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 1:42 AM · edited Sat, 01 June 2024 at 5:32 AM

tire.jpg

As in creating the tread. I've tried everything I can think of to map this correctly w/out success. Any ideas on how this can be made to work? Thanks in advance,

Chipp

Richmathews ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 2:37 AM

Have you tried creating the tyre as a boolean? A cylinder with a cylinder cutting the middle out. That way if it was mapped cylindrically then it should do the tread no problem. Just an idea.

chippwalters ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 3:19 AM

Yeah, but then I can't get the nice radius. Currently, I'm using the letter 'o' to create the tire. Strange, this should be simple.

dburdick ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 5:09 AM

Flip the bitmap 90 degrees and set the mapping mode to faces

chippwalters ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 12:10 PM

Thanks David, That's almost there, but it wraps the texture onto the sides of the tire. So, it's not a true cylindrical map. I'm wondering if you know of a way to do this in the function editor? IOW, is it possible to 'flip' a texture's orientation using some sort of combination of tiles? Thanks for your helping out. best, Chipp

dburdick ( ) posted Wed, 01 March 2006 at 12:16 AM

Chipp, Its possible but it would take a lot of tweaking around. Why not just UV Map the tire by uing the free version of UV Mapper.

chippwalters ( ) posted Wed, 01 March 2006 at 12:50 AM

Hi Dave, I've got the registered version of UV Mapper, and thought to do it, but am preparing a quick and dirty tire tutorial and didn't want to get to that. I've figured out a way to do it using a SINE WAVE generator, but was still interested in how this problem could be solved. It's really a simple issue, and I'm not sure I understand why Vue has made it so difficult? Other 3D programs I've used allow for multiple axis cylindrical mapping, why doesn't VUE?

jc ( ) posted Wed, 01 March 2006 at 3:07 AM

I messed around a bit with a cylinder (didn't have a tire shape). Got this.
TireTex400.jpg

Used a 256x256 white image with black vertical stripes in center only (see the function pix):

TireTexMat2600.jpg

TireTexFunct600.jpg

Had to flip image 90 degrees for tex and bump. Had to turn tex image "negative" in material editor to get side of 'tire' to come out white instead of black.

HTH

_ jc...'Art Head Start' e-book
.......'Art Head Start.com site Digital Art skills. Free lighting chapter, tutes, Vue models, tex pix.

chippwalters ( ) posted Wed, 01 March 2006 at 3:18 AM

Hi Jim, Yes, it will map correctly on a cylinder primitive, but try using a text model of the character 'o'. That's the problem! :-)

jc ( ) posted Wed, 01 March 2006 at 3:34 AM

Yes, it looks to me like the UV mapping is wrong on the text letter "O" for what you want to do, Chipp. Have not exported it and checked in a UV mapper though. Way past my bedtime here, lol.

chippwalters ( ) posted Wed, 01 March 2006 at 3:41 AM

Here's how I accomplished this using procedural settings. But, I'm still at a loss on how to do this using a mapped picture. I used a clip filter to tighten up the noise filter. Use_Nois.jpg
tesaals.jpg

Here's the final result. The idea was to make a tire with rims completely from text objects (no booleans).
tire2.jpg

chippwalters ( ) posted Wed, 01 March 2006 at 2:32 PM

Not sure if anyone's figured this out, but I did get a reply from support at e-on with the correct solution: "- [Effects tab] Global transformation, check Rotation, then open the editor, and set a 90 rotation on the X axis." Didn't even know that was available!

jc ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2006 at 1:28 AM

Thanks for checking Chipp! That's sure "one for the books".

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.