Sat, Jun 15, 9:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 15 8:19 pm)

Subject: Pathetic plea from new to mac user :-(

Shoshanna ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2003 at 3:04 PM · edited Tue, 28 November 2023 at 7:39 PM

I'm posting here because the only thing I want to install is Poser 4 and I have singularly failed to do so in the last 24 hours :-( I've always used Windows until yesterday (currently XP) so I know how to install in that. I've bought my first mac (just a G3 laptop with OS X 10.2 secondhand.) I have 3 discs, two installation discs for the os and a developers sdk (which I didn't install, I'm not that competent) It's a legit second hand pc, but the only manuals it comes with tell me how to send emails and not how to make a folder or anything. I tried going to the mac website, but all I can find is pdfs on how to send emails and use your mac for chat etc... Not what I want at all. In my poser manual, it tells me to select things, make folders etc... and I can't figure out how to do that. Please could someone tell me how to make a folder on a mac? All I keep getting is a message to say "There is no volume with a system folder that supports starting Classic" Could anyone point me to a website which will give me a good starting guide on how to make my mac work? Or just tell me the idiots guide version of how to make this work? I was hoping to use this as a test run and then save up for a proper one. So far, I'm stuck with an empty harddrive and a headache :-( Oh, and a very pretty ibook :-) Shanna :-) desperate and begging for help. ps, mods, if this is the wrong forum, please move it to the right one. All help appreciated.

mstrong ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2003 at 3:21 PM

poser 4 will not run under os x. You will need to get os 9 and install that. To make a new folder in finder select file then new folder, mike

crocodilian ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2003 at 3:22 PM

Shanna, as a happy Mac Poser user, let me say welcome. What you're trying to do is install a Classic (OS 9) application onto a machine which doesn't have Classic installed. Poser 4 will not run under OS X. Poser 5 will. So you have two choices: get OS 9 properly set up, or purchase Poser 5. Whoever installed OS X on the G3 didn't leave you with an OS 9 volume-- which is strange; OS X does not run particularly well on the G3 machines. It is not a trivial thing to create an OS 9 volume -- if that's the way you want to go, then you should find someone who's competent with Macs and have them take a look at it. If you're near a city with an Apple store, they will set up software for you. . .this is what I'd suggest, because its too hard to tell from here what your current configuration is. . .

Shoshanna ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2003 at 3:23 PM

Thank you :-( I'd better buy os9 then. At least I know why I couldn't make it work. Shanna :-)

Shoshanna ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2003 at 3:38 PM

I can get a 9 logo to show up on the list at the bottom of the screen, all they left on the system was their details for me to register it at the mac site. It bounced up and down for a bit when I put Poser in, then went away. I found a folder called Classic but it is completely empty. It just says Size: 0 kb on disc Where: AppleOS:System:Library: It says the file is Locked. I live in Devon, so the only place you can buy or have a mac serviced here is pc world. They charge an arm and a leg usually to do anything. I'll get there. Shanna :-)

LeeMoon ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2003 at 3:44 PM

Hi there Shoshanna! I used to run Poser 4 on an iBook G3 (366 mhz) and an iBook G3 (800 mhz). Poser will run fine in the "Classic" mode of OS X. You don't need to create a separate volume for OS 9. On the installation disk(s) there should be an option to install the Classic environment. This creates a system folder for OS 9 and your classic applications (like Poser 4) at the top level of your hard drive (alongside the OS X system folder). You may have everything you need to solve your Poser installation problem. Which Apple laptop do you have and how is it configured (memory and hard drive size/free space)? As Gini mentioned earlier, you might want to drop by the Macintosh forum here... It's under the "Topic Forums" drop down over on the right side of this page. I hope this helps in some way! :) Lee

crocodilian ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2003 at 4:00 PM

The folder is locked? OK, so OS 9 is there, but perhaps in a folder that belongs to the prior owner? It would help if you'd post your system information. . .upper left hand corner, click the Apple logo, then "About this Mac" then the "Apple System Profiler" then file and save. . .this will produce a text file which will let someone help you. . . There is no personal information or passwords in this file, so its safe to share. . .

Shoshanna ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2003 at 4:02 PM

Thank you very much Lee (and every one else who posted) :-) I will transfer myself over to the mac forum and repeat this post there as well:-) System Profile System version Mac OS X 10.2.3 (6G37) Boot volume Apple OS Hardware Overview Machine Speed 900 MHz Bus Speed 100 MHz L2 cache 512k Machine model iBook (version =2.3) I have a picture of a hard drive on my screen that says AppleOS 37.25 GB,...4GB free If I click on it, it says 4 items (Applications, Library, System, Users) 35.14 GB available I didn't actually know there was a mac forum here until it was mentioned in this thread. You give me hope, that is always a help :-) Shanna :-)

Shoshanna ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2003 at 4:03 PM

sorry, I keep answering slowly and someone posts in between, which is my answers seem strange. Shanna :-)

JoeyAristophanes ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2003 at 5:43 PM

Even if the Classic mode was in someone else's name, it should still open. I just wonder if there's insufficient memory to run both OSX and Classic and Poser at once. Alternatively, you might want to do a clean install of the harddrive -- put in the first system installation disk, then go to Control Panels, then StartUp Disk, and switch to the CD. Restart. Install the operating system -- at some point, it'll ask you if you want to do a clean install, which means you'll be completely wiping the system off and starting over (It won't touch your applications, BTW). Once you do this, you can reconfigure the system to your name and any password you might want to put on for network purposes. Go to Control Panels again and change the startup for the hard drive. Restart again; this time, the machine's OS will kick in. Now, once that's done -- go into your Poser. Click once on the application icon. A window will come up with information about the app. There's a drop down about halfway down that will allow you to reset the memory requirements. Throw as much as you can at Poser, because the default is worthless. Try it again and see if it works. In theory, unless you have an absurdly small amount of RAM available, it should do it. Bear in mind, finally, that OSX takes 128 megs to run, so you may not have a lot left over for any apps.

EricofSD ( ) posted Sun, 30 November 2003 at 3:10 AM

Hmmm, so this is like ... so NOT Bill Gates ...but then again, it is.

strataG ( ) posted Sun, 30 November 2003 at 1:06 PM

you should skip classic and move on to poser 5, unless there is serious issue with osX and poser5[which is why i'm here, searching] i bet either upgrade will be about equal cost. if one of your install disks has a big 9 on it, then that will be your classic install disk, if not you are SOL. i have an ibook, contact me offlist if you like[former bournemouth resident ; ^]

strataG ( ) posted Sun, 30 November 2003 at 1:11 PM

restart the machine holding down the option[alt] key you'll be presented with either one or two options to boot into jaguah[osX] or classic[os9]...only one option, then there is no classic startup system file, there might be a network option, if you have no mac network, then it's not do-able.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2003 at 4:58 AM

Welcome to another Mac user! After you do what is needed to find Classic on your system (I suspect that the restart with option key held down will be a solid clue), you will have a choice. If you do not have Classic or OS9 on any of your CDs I'd recommend going to Poser 5 (it will probably be cheaper), but if you have Poser 4 in hand and are used to using it on the PC, you may want to just stay with what you know for know. Most of the other apps are now written for OSX and why confuse the computer with 2 operating systems? Also check out the Apple website. There may be a downloadable version of classic which is part of the OSX you bought. After you have access to a Classic or OS9 environment, you can install Poser 4. Be sure to load all the stuff from the content CD because you do get extra figures and the templates. The next place to go is MartinC's soft-rabbit website. Get MacConverter and MacInstaller. (The links ought to be listed under utilities here.) Every time I unstuff or unzip a file I drop the folder on his appllets. We actually have life easier than the PC people! In the libraries of Poser 4 you can name them and organize them however you wish: by maker, by type of item, by figure it is for... then when using MacInstaller, you can tell it to put the files into the folder your have named. For example, I have a separate folder for Dragons and ALL dragons go there, no matter if they are by DAZ or PhilC or Sixus1 or Valendar... if I want to load a dragon I don't want to search all over creation for it! Let's see, you should also get Aladdin's "Stuffit" tools. I bought the Deluxe version a few years back because it was so handy and covered so many file types. You will discover that some tress at big-i and some models from the Japanese sites are compressed in strange formats... and Stuffit manages to unstuff them. On the Aladdin website, you can download a free version which will unzip and unstuff files. Once you have Poser up and running and your files where you want them, you shouldn't notice that much difference between the Mac and PC version. The hardest thing for me to learn about Macs was that to eject a disk you drop it in the trashcan... I was scared that the data would be lost, and I didn't own that disk (it was at work about a decade ago and seems silly now). HTH, Carolly

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.