Wed, Jun 12, 12:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 11 2:23 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the Marketplace Wishing Well Forum, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: is your modeling camera set to the correct degree ?

TRAVISB ( ) posted Fri, 31 January 2003 at 10:06 AM · edited Fri, 26 January 2024 at 5:54 PM

something that bothered me for a while while modeling in lw was the perspective amount at which to model at well i found some report that has finaly put my qestion to rest the humnan eye see at apoximly 36 degrees i just thought that this may help some of you out or you might find it interesting

puzzledpaul ( ) posted Fri, 31 January 2003 at 11:30 AM

I once posted some viewing angle figures for 35mm camera lenses (on the Wings forum) - but can't find them :) A 50mm 'standard' lens (one that used to come with the (SLR) camera - in previous days) has a (diagonal) viewing angle of 46 deg. This was supposed to give a view similar to that perceived by the eye. More recently, a 35mm lens has become more 'popular' - view angle for this is 63 deg. (Typical focal lengths for taking 'portraits' are 85mm - 100mm - with corresponding view angles of 28.5 and 24 deg respectively) Depending on what's being modelled, it might be worth messing around a bit? :) (Lens details from Canon EF series, btw) pp

BazC ( ) posted Fri, 31 January 2003 at 1:16 PM

Funnily enough I started messing with the view angle of the modelling camera in wings today. It struck me that it was a bit wide angle so I narrowed the view quite a bit (down to 15 degrees) and it does feel better for modelling but when I rendered it changed the view. I've no idea why and haven't experimented further yet. If I figure it out I'll post, but I'm using an old version, this may be something that has been fixed in more recent versions! Baz

Prime ( ) posted Fri, 31 January 2003 at 11:20 PM

There is no correct focal setting :) For some people this is an issue, I model with perspective turned on, some people with it off (In Lightwave)... a lot of gray shades in between. Set the focal setting for your modelling app to match your renderer. It's really a personal preference :D

Cinema1954 ( ) posted Tue, 04 February 2003 at 9:37 AM

file_43828.jpg

Here's a quick comparison I did of different lens focal lengths, using a Poser figure in Cinema 4D. Cinema's default lens is 35mm; not always the best, especially for human closeups. From this test, you can see why 85mm is considered a portrait lens.

Annie

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.