Sat, Jun 1, 8:55 AM CDT

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 28 10:58 am)

Subject: New to Forum and Fractals

CavalierLady ( ) posted Thu, 25 April 2002 at 12:00 PM · edited Thu, 30 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

Hi there, folks. Is it possible for a beginner to ask questions on this forum? I have had Ultra Fractal downloaded for just a day and have been playing around trying to learn what's what. I do have printed tutorials in front of me. But my images are pretty disappointing. Much to learn. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how the beautiful spiral images I have seen by Gumbycat and ChessieCat and many others are created. Can anyone point me towards a tutorial that addresses spirals? Forgive me if I have have stumbled into the wrong forum. It's the first fractal forum that I have found. Thanks for your time. I am so excited about this new program and can't wait to really get into it.

Micheleh ( ) posted Thu, 25 April 2002 at 2:37 PM

Hi! Welcome to the Fractal Forum! Don't be afraid to post any questions.. there's an amateur running the place, why not? ;] Why not post an image of one of your spirals that "didn't turn out", and we can try to figure out why? Everyone here is very nice, and very helpful. We're all here to learn.

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Thu, 25 April 2002 at 2:38 PM

One: You are NOT in the wrong forum. You are definitely in the right forum. :) Welcome!
Two: For tutorials, the most recommended coverage for UF, is to be found at
http://www.parkenet.org/jp/ufjumpstart.html
In fact the first tute there features a spiral and how to locate it. And with pics, you can see what you might miss from a printed version.
Three: A lot of the improvements in a fractal's looks comes from the colors used on it. Don't be afraid of changing your color gradients.
Four: UF features layers, and blending methods, which can add a tremendous oommph to an image.
Five: PLAY! Push buttons, change values, etc. Be like the Elephant's Child: Go and Find Out. :)

RosemaryR
---------------------------
"This...this is magnificent!"
"Oh, yeah. Ooooo. Aaaaah. That's how it starts.
Then, later, there's ...running. And....screaming."

Micheleh ( ) posted Thu, 25 April 2002 at 2:38 PM

Er, I mean me, the amateur, lol. Audre is very good at this stuff.

stotty ( ) posted Thu, 25 April 2002 at 3:36 PM

Hi U.F opens with the default built in fast mandlebrot a good way to find spirals is to click on fractal (in menu bar) then click on switch, A new window opens with a julia set move your mouse pointer around the original mandlebrot image,The new window will show lots of changes, You will be able to find lots of interesting spirals this way, zoom in on an area you like the look of and play ;0). hope this helps

CavalierLady ( ) posted Thu, 25 April 2002 at 5:54 PM

Thanks so much for your reply!! I didn't know if this forum was for asking questions, or posting images. I have printed out the parkenet.org tutorial. Thanks - I will study it. And thanks, also, for the tip about the switch - I will play around with that, too. But wouldn't you know things get busy when I have a new "toy". Had to run to the city on business, and stopped at a book store, but nothing on Ultra Fractal. Found one book written by Mandelbrot himself, but you'd have to be a ph.d. to read it!! Any books on Ultra Fractal I could buy??? I don't have anything to show (I wouldn't show that first mess I made to my dog!). Hopefully, someday, I will have something worth showing, if I ever get the free time to study and click. Thanks, guys and gals. Kind of you to answer. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.