Thu, Jun 13, 3:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / New Poser Users Help

Welcome to the New Poser Users Help Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

New Poser Users Help F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 13 3:25 pm)

New to Poser? Ask questions here for expert help!

Subject: weird render

drawn ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2024 at 11:07 AM · edited Wed, 12 June 2024 at 12:59 AM

this scene was way overlit with 23 lights, so after watching Charles Taylor's tutorial on lighting, I started eliminating some got it down to about half that the preview looked pretty good so I tried a render...ach, Himmel, a mess.

why?

ob1ScJUd70mdgwmg5Ef9nPiyGEv6mAh8rZW0HlDC.pngRRJTGgjmUVu7bcLZIvsjQsXCfKtjfpovmAOE17m5.png

hugs,

drawn

drawn ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2024 at 12:14 PM · edited Mon, 13 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

here's render settings for thaT. I m surprise it is for firefly cause I thot the other, so rendered the same scene in superfly and render settings for thaT. big diff.

ModxFVU620TVT0sgNaqRdEA8bWQu0Ng6jQ0J0Y2R.png

UcOcChJ1mbT3nljd0XHzQBfg86P81VmRqLyBBznw.png

9bOYmzX0QQGnjpOql5MeGdJzT9iiVUMlhUrE3OKg.png

well, I learnt from that stick with super, but need to fix the lights more simply.

d

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2024 at 2:03 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

It's difficult to judge the lighting of a render by what the preview looks like. There's a limitation of 6 or 7 lights that can be displayed in the preview. Your best bet if you think you need a lot of lights is to do low-quality test renders on a small scale. even the 10 or so you mention seems excessive but it will depend on the look you're going for and how bright you have them

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2024 at 2:07 PM
Online Now!

Your lights are still overpowering the scene.  You need to examine the intensity of each light and what is its contribution to the scene.  This is a theater set.  Expect the audience section to be shrouded in shadow while the stage is well-lit.  If you are simulating a well-lit room, determine what type of lights are appropriate to evenly illuminate the selected area.  You want to use down-pointing spotlights or area lights to achieve a better effect, and they should be of low intensity.  Too many lights can put a strain on your computer's resources.  Additionally, Poser can only display 6 active light sets at a time in Preview mode, all other lights will not be considered unless one of the original six is turned off.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2024 at 2:52 PM · edited Mon, 13 May 2024 at 2:53 PM

And be sure that your spots and points lights have the correct setting:

pkYMHL5ZvpGxFbvQy1IRm32aQ5AfbR3fwJ48rJTh.png

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

drawn ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2024 at 3:16 PM

thanks sb and Red, and Phil your signature pic is a real cutie, and I do not understand your spots and point light settings. what, for inst. is an inverse square in regards to ray trace shadows?

drawn

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2024 at 4:24 PM · edited Mon, 13 May 2024 at 4:24 PM
Online Now!

It has nothing to do with raytrace shadows.  Without getting into the specific scientific explanation, the inverse square law pertaining to lighting is a falloff of illumination with distance from a light source.  This can easily be demonstrated in Poser by placing a point light in a scene and changing its attenuation from Constant to Inverse Square.  Below are 2 renders: the first is a light source with constant attenuation at an intensity of 100%.

Kr7vJTqPEuEMmNq3mT2LryELfkYWSIiplbhL5wdC.png

The second render is the same light source at the same intensity but with its attenuation set to Inverse Square.

qFRtb2MSWcv1eztywYtgmyCly7DErQ0Ox8uf7V2F.png

As you can see, there is significant light falloff with distance in the second render, this is the typical behavior of realistic lighting.

drawn ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2024 at 6:18 PM

Ahhah!thanks!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.