Sat, Jun 1, 4:28 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser 13 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, RedPhantom

(Last Updated: 2024 May 31 8:11 pm)

Subject: no GPU renders? - noobest noob question ever.

midinick ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2024 at 3:02 PM · edited Fri, 31 May 2024 at 4:44 PM

Hi :)

I got Poser 13 for my birthday (WOOOHOOOOO!!! :D) I am still trying simple scenes XD

I have problems with rendering via GPU .... it won´t render, in P13 it takes a second and produced a gray image without anything. In Queue I got an error.

I have tried with the simple tiny white man at the starting scene.. nothing... It won´t render with GPU.

I know my notebook is a tiny bit older, but the driver supports Optix.. so is it possible that the driver can say "OH YES, I support Optix" but the graphiccard say "eeeehm... nope, I don´t" ?

I am so sorry, I can´t describe it better. XD I am not very good in computer things.

Win 10

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz   2.40 GHz

Intel HD Graphics 4600

NVIDIA Quadro K3100M (latest driver)

Maybe someone can help? Well.. even Optix don´t work for me.. I think Firefly is a bit faster and I can render in Superfly with CPU.. in Queue it is much more faster than in P11Pro (same Scene Queue 11: 6 hours, Queue13: 1 hour... but it got a pink background... well... but it was much faster than in P11) .. but I really would like to render with GPU :(

Thank you for your time. ^^

midinick ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2024 at 3:16 PM

Oh I forgot to say, in Poser 11 Pro I can render with Superfly and GPU. But in Poser 13 it do not render with GPU and it will not render with Optix.

ChromeStar ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2024 at 7:35 PM

Does CPU rendering work in P13? If so, that clarifies the issue is GPU-related and not a more general problem with the scene.

All gray seems suspicious. If you look in the upper right, is there an icon there with a dialog bubble? Click it to see the log. Is there a CUDA error? If you do have one, you'll need to close Poser and re-open it. Sometimes the skinning mode seems to be an issue here: select each figure, go on the menu to Figure, change it to Unimesh. Could also be an issue with a particular shader, the log might give a hint about which one.

midinick ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2024 at 12:07 AM

ChromeStar posted at 7:35 PM Sat, 30 March 2024 - #4483081

Does CPU rendering work in P13? If so, that clarifies the issue is GPU-related and not a more general problem with the scene.

All gray seems suspicious. If you look in the upper right, is there an icon there with a dialog bubble? Click it to see the log. Is there a CUDA error? If you do have one, you'll need to close Poser and re-open it. Sometimes the skinning mode seems to be an issue here: select each figure, go on the menu to Figure, change it to Unimesh. Could also be an issue with a particular shader, the log might give a hint about which one.

Hi, thank you 😊

Yes, CPU is the only rendering I can choise if I render with superfly. In Poser 11 I can render with GPU without any issues.. so maybe Poser 13 is the problem? 

it never rendered with GPU in Poser 13. Since the first try, it always shows the gray, plane, empty image after a second. 

I am not at home but will have a look what the log will say. 😊 Thank you for the advice 😊

Even if I start with the tiny white man in the starting scene, it will not render with GPU. I tried with the Poser 13 materials and I tried it with no materials.

ChromeStar ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2024 at 12:44 AM

Hmm, the GPU is 10 years old. The docs say "OptiX-accelerated raytracing requires Nvidia RTX or Turing GPU, or newer." And the K3100M is Kepler, not Turing. So you might be out of luck for Optix.

Restart Poser, then pick the non-Optix GPU option. Does it work? Note that it will not work if you already got an Optix error and did not restart Poser, you need to restart Poser to clear the error.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2024 at 11:54 AM

midinick 

If you are considering replacing your nvidia card: don't be afraid to look for 40xx cards. I mean: I've replaced my old 2080ti, a pci express 3 card, with a 4070OC, a pci express 4 as it's backward compatible: slightly smaller, and needing 230W instead of 250W for more the double the computing power. The lower speed of the bus isn't a problem in my case as I'm not a gamer and the pci express 3 is fast enough

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

ChromeStar ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2024 at 12:01 PM

It's a laptop so upgrading the GPU is not feasible without replacing the computer.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2024 at 12:08 PM

Kepler doesn't support Optix past version 4, and it only supports Cuda 3.

I think P13 is built on optix 6 and Cuda 9 or 10, with 5.0 compute as a minimum requirement.

I think that puts it at an rtx 2000 series as a minimum gpu for P13.... I have a GTX1070, and it wont render in P13. 

I presently have an RTX 2060 and a RTX 4070ti in my system, and both work in P13.  If you have multiple versions of Poser, older gpu's don't work in the new versions of Poser,  and new cards don't work in the older versions. With both of those cards I can render on P11 - 13 with the 2060, and I use the 4070ti in P13. The 4000 series cards wont gpu render in P11 and 12.

This is an issue with all programs that use Cuda/optix, or Hip/OpenCL that use AMD gpu's. The gpu's have to match the compute level the program was assembled for. Reverse compatibility is a big problem simple due to additional hardware sections added to newer versions of the gpus.

There is literally no way to build the render kernel for a Kepler gpu in Poser 13, the hardware isn't in there to compute it. Just as P11 can't use the hardware in an Rtx 4000 series because it didn't exist to program it into P11 at that time.

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I hope it gives a better understanding of the requirements and issues gpus present in terms of programming issues due to the hardware requirements.

On the plus side, renders on a 4070ti in a desktop only take a few minutes. The difference in compute power of the newer high end cards is massive, compared to older ones. But the high end cards are also expensive.......... Might be time for a new desktop system.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

midinick ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2024 at 5:05 AM

shvrdavid posted at 12:08 PM Sun, 31 March 2024 - #4483101

Kepler doesn't support Optix past version 4, and it only supports Cuda 3.

I think P13 is built on optix 6 and Cuda 9 or 10, with 5.0 compute as a minimum requirement.

I think that puts it at an rtx 2000 series as a minimum gpu for P13.... I have a GTX1070, and it wont render in P13. 

I presently have an RTX 2060 and a RTX 4070ti in my system, and both work in P13.  If you have multiple versions of Poser, older gpu's don't work in the new versions of Poser,  and new cards don't work in the older versions. With both of those cards I can render on P11 - 13 with the 2060, and I use the 4070ti in P13. The 4000 series cards wont gpu render in P11 and 12.

This is an issue with all programs that use Cuda/optix, or Hip/OpenCL that use AMD gpu's. The gpu's have to match the compute level the program was assembled for. Reverse compatibility is a big problem simple due to additional hardware sections added to newer versions of the gpus.

There is literally no way to build the render kernel for a Kepler gpu in Poser 13, the hardware isn't in there to compute it. Just as P11 can't use the hardware in an Rtx 4000 series because it didn't exist to program it into P11 at that time.

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I hope it gives a better understanding of the requirements and issues gpus present in terms of programming issues due to the hardware requirements.

On the plus side, renders on a 4070ti in a desktop only take a few minutes. The difference in compute power of the newer high end cards is massive, compared to older ones. But the high end cards are also expensive.......... Might be time for a new desktop system.

Thank you very much for explaining this. I had to translate it but I think I got it now.

Thank you @all very much for your help. ^^

Even if I know now that my GPU does not support this version of optix ... I just wanted to post the log ^^ ... but I think it is saying the same Xd

I didn´t know Poser has a Log XD My first try told me to set up more cache for textures XD .. So I did and restarted Poser.

ApxmOyQFR6ffQuGFcgsbEGBjSZgmWc1ey5nciyGl.JPG

ChromeStar ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2024 at 11:23 AM

The developers could say for sure, but "no binary for GPU" sure sounds like hardware that is not supported and not going to work. Hopefully the regular non-Optix option works.

midinick ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2024 at 8:19 AM
ChromeStar posted at 11:23 AM Mon, 1 April 2024 - #4483139

The developers could say for sure, but "no binary for GPU" sure sounds like hardware that is not supported and not going to work. Hopefully the regular non-Optix option works.

nope, unfortunality the non optix GPU don´t work too. I can render with Firefly, and Superfly CPU. At moment I also can render with Firefly in Queue, Superfly in Queue will render with pink background XD ... I think I need to save some money for a new notebook ^^ or need to find an older notebook with better hardware.

nerd ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2024 at 4:12 PM
Forum Moderator

What actually determines a cards support is what "Compute Model" it supports. The minimum required for Poser 13 is 5.2

So, Quadro M6000 or GTX 970 is going to be the minimum.

the Quadro 3100 compute version is 3.0

There's a table of model verses compute version at Nvida https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

midinick ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2024 at 7:06 AM

nerd posted at 4:12 PM Tue, 2 April 2024 - #4483175

What actually determines a cards support is what "Compute Model" it supports. The minimum required for Poser 13 is 5.2

So, Quadro M6000 or GTX 970 is going to be the minimum.

the Quadro 3100 compute version is 3.0

There's a table of model verses compute version at Nvida https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

thank you very much, this can help me a bit if I am going to buy a refurbished Laptop :D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.