Sat, Jun 1, 2:47 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser 13 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, RedPhantom

(Last Updated: 2024 May 31 8:11 pm)

Subject: exporting poser figure as an fbx into unity 2018-2020

3d-designer ( ) posted Tue, 19 March 2024 at 4:39 PM · edited Sat, 25 May 2024 at 6:06 PM

Im tried a search for this topic, but only found one post taht was never answered. I like to know if anyone else actually does this and it it worked for them.

Last time I exported a clothed Poser figure ( I usually use Victoria4) into Unity, the attached clothing moved with the avatar. This was with Poser 11.

Now a few years later I tired it in Poser 12 and Poser 13 and the clothing stays in place as the avatar moves. This is with the standard idle animation.

Looking at the hierachy in Unity, the clothing mesh does not seem to be connect to any bones. I am sure there is a way to do this but Iit should workm right out of the box.

If I remember correctly, but I don't have Poser 11 still installed, there was a setting that connected it to the mesh and also a hidden mesh removal option.

What happened to those options and how do I make this work in Poser 13? I watched some videos back a few years ago for Poser Pro with the game extension and that worked smoothly. I thought this was now included by default?

As a side note, Character Creator 3 works extremely well for this.

3d-designer ( ) posted Tue, 19 March 2024 at 5:12 PM · edited Tue, 19 March 2024 at 5:12 PM

vaynRL8D11XHfE1hb2bT9J94esJAaI4mP2sAdSXQ.JPG

Some additional information. The Avatar hierachy seems to have multiple bodies. I can't make any sense out of this. And why is the front camera node htere when I don't have it checked for export?

nerd ( ) posted Wed, 20 March 2024 at 2:21 PM
Forum Moderator

There's a "body" for each of the conformed clothes. I the Poserverse conformed clothes are still a separate figure. Game assets don't work that way. Combining all the clothes with the figure and creating new joint parameters for all the newly created, combined geometry is not a simple task. The "Combine Figures" feature in Poser 11 did go away because it made more of a mess that anything useful. As an example the "Remove hidden polys" that it used would remove most of the eyeballs, teeth and even the eyebrows.. It sounded like a good idea but it just never worked.

What it was supposed to do is the following steps.

One possible work flow would be to load all the geometries in one scene. (V4, Hair, Top, Pants) then re-export them as a single OBJ. Make sure the "preserve existing materials" and "Existing groups" options are checked.

Import the combined OBJ into Poser and use the setup room to transfer a V4 rig onto the combined geometry.

You'll probably get the best result by exiting the Setup room and loading a V4 and then re-copying the Rig and Morphs. The tessellated copy mechanic doesn't work in the setup room.

Now save that figure, let Poser make a new OBJ

Reload and export that with FBX. You should get 1 "Body" and more of a game like figure.

Note: I've done this before but it's been I while I hope I remembered all the steps.

3d-designer ( ) posted Fri, 22 March 2024 at 8:41 AM

I was hoping to avoid those steps. Since I am familiar with Blender, it seems easier for me to import the FBX into Blender and then transfer the skin weights to the clothes, and manually remove the hidden faces under the clothes. Then export out to Unity.

Thank you for the answer and knowing that was possible in Poser 11 was removed becaue it did not work very well.

Also this way I can make changes if needed to make the clothes fit perfectly. And of course reduce the polys in the hair.

Much hair sold in this store is unusable because of the high polycount, and if you poly reduce it it starts to look bad. A lot of the free hair from a decade ago is easier to work with. Also I noticed that I have 4 levels LOD for Victoria in the DAZ geometry folder in my runtime. I don't know how many people know this. It goes from 65K to 17k to 4k to 2k to 1k. The last three  won't accept morphs. Not that Poser users would need to use any of them, unless you need some background people. There are none for Michael4.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 22 March 2024 at 9:56 AM

The 4 levels LOD for Michael 4 do exist.  Although you cannot load morphs directly from the Poser Library, you can attempt copying the morphs from a second figure.  It probably might not look pretty.

3d-designer ( ) posted Fri, 22 March 2024 at 10:53 PM

I am not sure what you mean by copying from a second figure. The Victoria4 LOD levels were seperate obj files in the runtime geometry folder under DAS people.

I would not know how to create LOD meshes from the original meshes in Poser. In Blender, yes.

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 23 March 2024 at 10:18 AM · edited Sat, 23 March 2024 at 10:18 AM

FSsUWgeeMnGlwNDxKdR3NxxlqNgTGXB9JN8hmnFO.png

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 23 March 2024 at 10:23 AM

QjGJmduP5GhX6DnmhiV2XCt2fmJroy1Ewt9Qwczx.png

3d-designer ( ) posted Sat, 23 March 2024 at 11:48 PM

Thanks. I don't have those files, so must have deleted them in the past. I will have to reload Micheal4 again.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.