Sat, Jul 27, 4:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Python Scripting

Welcome to the Poser Python Scripting Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Python Scripting F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 26 1:10 pm)

We now have a ProPack Section in the Poser FreeStuff.
Check out the new Poser Python Wish List thread. If you have an idea for a script, jot it down and maybe someone can write it. If you're looking to write a script, check out this thread for useful suggestions.

Also, check out the official Python site for interpreters, sample code, applications, cool links and debuggers. This is THE central site for Python.

You can now attach text files to your posts to pass around scripts. Just attach the script as a txt file like you would a jpg or gif. Since the forum will use a random name for the file in the link, you should give instructions on what the file name should be and where to install it. Its a good idea to usually put that info right in the script file as well.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: What do place my Python script development threads?

Ken1171_Designs ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2021 at 3:09 PM · edited Tue, 23 July 2024 at 4:42 PM
Online Now!

I am a prior HiveWire3D vendor who, like many others, have moved to Rendo when the store had closed. I still have my product development threads at HW, and I was wondering if there is a place here for such things? I keep separate threads for each product under development, and a general one for all my released products. I make all sorts of contents, like conforming outfits, body morphs, character sets, and now Python scripts.

These dev threads not only give products more exposure, but also allows for community feedback during development, which benefits everyone. Being new here at Rendo, I don't know where should I place these threads, like if Rendo has specific places for things like that?

in the meanwhile, these are my current Python works for Poser 11 and 12, some released, some going through QAV, and some under development:

I suspect Rendo blocks linking to external sites in the forums, so all these links above may vanish when I post this. Just in case, I have removed the "https://" part from all links, with hopes they won't be wiped out.

My Store at Renderosity

My Store at PoserSoftware

Characters, Body Sculpts, Morph Corrections, Outfits, Python Scripts, Universal Heads, and Videogames!

Ken1171_Designs ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2021 at 3:23 PM
Online Now!

Ok, the links weren't wiped out, but Rendo adds it's own domain to them, making them all invalid if we just click them. To be able to use the links, we have to copy them, remove the Rendo domain, and add the "https://" part back to it.

That's why it would be more practical if I could just create my dev threads here, so I don't have to link things. Just waiting to know where vendor dev threads of this kind should be placed, so I don't put them at the wrong places! Where should that be?

My Store at Renderosity

Characters, Body Sculpts, Morph Corrections, Outfits, Python Scripts, Universal Heads, and Videogames!

FVerbaas ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2021 at 4:02 PM
Forum Coordinator

You may want to ask the community coordinator: CHMedia , but why not kick off a thread in the main Poer forum? That is the closest I think to the 'Show me the honey' forum on HW. Same was done in the past for other developments.

This forum is much more technically orientated. Posting a thread here certainly does not give large volume of exposure to users/buyers.

Ken1171_Designs ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2021 at 4:21 PM
Online Now!

Thanks for the feedback, @FVerbaas. It was good that I asked before posting, because these threads have a double purpose, and (like you said) here would be the wrong place. However, 95% of my products are for both Poser and DS, using native platform file formats. Only my Python scripts are Poser-only. The whole HW community forums was multiplatform by nature, but Rendo seems to be more specialized. The Python scripts could be at the Poser thread, but the rest would probably need to be elsewhere.

I am not so concerned about my other products at the moment, since more recently I have been concentrating on Python scripts for Poser. However, I would still like to maintain a general vendor thread (Poser and DS). Especially when here at Rendo, we still have a lot of people believing Dawn would be a Poser-only figure. Someone told me that just today, so there is a lot of misinformation going on - even when Dawn has been out for over 8 years.

So if I wanted to have a Poser/DS vendor products thread, where should that be?

My Store at Renderosity

FVerbaas ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2021 at 4:49 PM
Forum Coordinator

A joint Poser/DS products forum would need moderator-with-a-big-axe survey 24/7 i am afraid. Fuses are shorter here than they are at HW.

You have a point there, though. You best contact CHMedia.

Ken1171_Designs ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2021 at 5:23 PM
Online Now!

Oh my, I have been with HW for so long that I forgot there are still Poser/DS people who can't get along. Since my products are mostly for Dawn, maybe that shouldn't be an issue, because we had plenty of people from both sides at the HW forums, and we all get along just well. Since DS is well served with contents, I imagine the great majority of my customers are from Poser, though. DS people using Dawn has become a rarity these days, and that might explain where some people got the idea that Dawn would be a Poser-only figure.

Since my current priorities are on scripts for Poser 12, I will start at the Poser forums, and then go from there. Thank you for the info! Now I know who to talk to if I need to open a Poser/DS products vendor thread. :)

My Store at Renderosity

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Fri, 12 March 2021 at 5:33 AM · edited Fri, 12 March 2021 at 5:37 AM

One point to be aware of - posting code to these forums can be problematic.

You can use the markdown triple backtick (see 'Multiple Lines', second heading from the bottom) for pre-formatted text, and that mostly works - but beware if you have any backslashes in your pre-formatted text.

And even backslashes sometimes work when you first post. But you can almost guarantee that any edit to a post that contains backslashes will do something screwy with them. The timeout on editing posts (around 5-10 minutes I think?) makes this less of a problem - unless you're like me.

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and CGBytes flavours.

Ken1171_Designs ( ) posted Fri, 12 March 2021 at 10:50 AM
Online Now!

3dcheapskate posted at 10:42AM Fri, 12 March 2021 - #4414766

One point to be aware of - posting code to these forums can be problematic.

You can use the markdown triple backtick (see 'Multiple Lines', second heading from the bottom) for pre-formatted text, and that mostly works - but beware if you have any backslashes in your pre-formatted text.

And even backslashes sometimes work when you first post. But you can almost guarantee that any edit to a post that contains backslashes will do something screwy with them. The timeout on editing posts (around 5-10 minutes I think?) makes this less of a problem - unless you're like me.

Yes, I have noticed the Rendo forums software is a bit on the old side. I was spoiled with the HW forums, where they have one of the best around. I have been using the "pre-formatted" button and it has been a hit or miss. I guess the most annoying part is when Rendo forums eat up the new lines and concatenate lines when you least expect. We have to remember adding double space after new lines to avoid that. There is also the 7 images per post limit, where it sometimes gets confused and switches our newly posted images with older ones if the names are similar. Happened many times when I post product highlight threads.

My Store at Renderosity

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.