Sun, Jun 2, 8:55 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 02 7:04 am)

Subject: Is Poser development dead?

dreamcutter ( ) posted Sat, 20 October 2018 at 7:19 PM

LostAlien posted at 11:11AM Sun, 21 October 2018 - #4337495

dreamcutter posted at 12:23AM Fri, 12 October 2018 - #4337480

Shhh. Don't get discouraged,. There will be some fresh life brought into the world of Poser soon. Specifically.

No questions while I mop up from the leak.,.

Makes me very happy. I love Poser. Thank you.

Just hope for a stormy Halloween in southern California this year. Just as Dr Frankenstien & Doc Emmet Brown, we need some lightning to bring the dead world back to life that night.

rpeatfield ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2018 at 5:42 PM

Don't have to compete with Daz, just provide easy way to use/import latest Daz Content. Improve Animation workflow. Facial expression & lip sync import using live video or single frames.

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2018 at 5:31 AM
Online Now!

Daz would make a lot more money if they found a simple, easy way for us to use Genesis figures and clothing within Poser. They have some nice stuff over there. Apparently there's a Poser upgrade on the way, though I doubt it will include anything to help us use Genesis in Poser. Poser development isn't dead - but it would be nice to have progress reports more often!

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2018 at 5:58 AM · edited Thu, 01 November 2018 at 6:04 AM

A_Sunbeam posted at 6:42AM Thu, 01 November 2018 - #4338657

Daz would make a lot more money if they found a simple, easy way for us to use Genesis figures and clothing within Poser.

Years ago DAZ worked with Smith Micro to get genesis in poser. There was a version of poser inhouse that had genesis running. Smith Micro stopped communicating with DAZ and that version was never released, and SM eventually said they wanted to go their own way, and this is where Poser is now.

This is no longer a "if DAZ would" situation, because they had already tried to help. This is really beating the dead horse for the umpteenth time, because it comes down to what Smith Micro needs to do for their customers and vendors. It's not beneficial to have yet another DAZ/Poser conversation that will devolve into another fight. I think the focus needs to be on what Smith Micro should do in their development to help their content developers do their jobs easier and create products that can Poser users will buy to make their ends meet. Things such as obj export for items that are grouped (so morphs, morph corrections, and JCMs can easily be created for figures, especially for custom characters based on a figure without having to navigate to the geometry folder for the original obj) or JCM handling system so making content with lots of JCMs is not so unbearable.

These are the things that SM and this discussion should probably focus on; and you'll find you don't have to utter what DAZ should do during any of that conversation. You don't need to discuss what DAZ should do in a discussion about Poser development. I don't think it's relevant.

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2018 at 6:38 AM
Online Now!

Male_M3dia posted at 11:37AM Thu, 01 November 2018 - #4338659

A_Sunbeam posted at 6:42AM Thu, 01 November 2018 - #4338657

Daz would make a lot more money if they found a simple, easy way for us to use Genesis figures and clothing within Poser.

Years ago DAZ worked with Smith Micro to get genesis in poser. There was a version of poser inhouse that had genesis running. Smith Micro stopped communicating with DAZ and that version was never released, and SM eventually said they wanted to go their own way, and this is where Poser is now.

Thanks. I didn't know that.

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2018 at 11:17 AM

Poser needs a true full trained development team for stock figure productions and not load all the work and respondsabilty to one poor freelancer guy with a way to tight dead line, who will be beaten up, when his figures look like cr... ahm... not as expected by poser release.

Miss B ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2018 at 3:19 PM

Tell me Timberwolf, where did you get the idea SM only has "one poor freelancer guy" as their current development team?

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

tonyvilters ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2018 at 3:44 PM

That "single poor freelancer content creation guy" information was correct about 2-3 years ago.

A new Poser team has been working in and is developing the next versions for all of us to enjoy. Give them some time and give them some respect please.

Taking over from a team that worked, lived and loved Poser for over 20 years is no easy task, and it will take time..

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2018 at 3:44 PM · edited Thu, 01 November 2018 at 3:45 PM

Daz would make a lot more money if they found a simple, easy way >for us to use Genesis figures and clothing within Poser. They have >some nice stuff over there. Apparently there's a Poser upgrade on >the way, though I doubt it will include anything to help us use >Genesis in Poser.

Here is a radical Idea,

Consider dumping Smith Micro and switching to a well supported Character creation morphing and rendering program that OFFICIALLY supports (No dodgey third party hacks) M4,V4,Hivewire and Daz Genesis 1,2,3,8.

Has an upgrade path to Character animation tools that are equal to the Mighty Autodesk Maya.( Iclone Pro) and is available right here.. right now, in the Renderosity Marketplace at a price of $ 249 for the complete pro bundle for renderosity prime members,

https://www.renderosity.com/reallusion-partners-with-renderosity-cms-20746

My website

YouTube Channel

tonyvilters ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2018 at 4:05 PM

Only when New-year comes before Christmas. LOL. We have a new and hard working Poser-SM-Team, give them some credit.

Also, pretty, pretty, pretty sure that in the a worst case scenario? Many ex-Poser guys will go Blender.

See? there are 2 kinds of hobby guys here.

Those that load and render => They'll go DS and iClone and Realllusion and similar.

Those that more like to build and fiddle with tech => The'll go Zbrush, Blender and similar.

But there is a new and hard working Poser team, and we wait.

After all is said and done? The final render does not care where it came from.

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 02 November 2018 at 7:25 AM

Also, pretty, pretty, pretty sure that in the a worst case scenario? >Many ex-Poser guys will go Blender.

What Has stopped them from "going Blender" up to this point??

My website

YouTube Channel

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Fri, 02 November 2018 at 7:39 AM · edited Fri, 02 November 2018 at 7:41 AM

wolf359 posted at 8:28AM Fri, 02 November 2018 - #4338708

Daz would make a lot more money if they found a simple, easy way >for us to use Genesis figures and clothing within Poser. They have >some nice stuff over there. Apparently there's a Poser upgrade on >the way, though I doubt it will include anything to help us use >Genesis in Poser.

Here is a radical Idea,

Consider dumping Smith Micro and switching to a well supported Character creation morphing and rendering program that OFFICIALLY supports (No dodgey third party hacks) M4,V4,Hivewire and Daz Genesis 1,2,3,8.

This is a misleading claim; you're telling people the marketing materials, not the actual instructions that are posted in the character creator forums. It imports those figures by FBX import, and only some of the textures if they are plugged in the right spot. Official support would be actually reading the DSON definitions as they have the material info, morph info, and texture locations right there. That would cover both the genesis and the main hivewire characters out the box. FBX is a universal import and it works after some adjustment, but FBX isn't the same as official support. The DSON specification is available for use, and the only person that actually read those definitions in a product was Dimension3D for his various utilities for both Poser and Daz. But still this whole character creator topic is getting away from the topic of this thread. I don't think it's totally about figures, it's about making vendors' jobs easier to make content, which could include figures that are better supported by everyone.

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 02 November 2018 at 8:16 AM · edited Fri, 02 November 2018 at 8:19 AM

This is a misleading claim; you're telling people the marketing materials,

not the actual instructions that are posted in the character creator forums. >It

imports those figures by FBX import, and only some of the textures if >they

are plugged in the right spot. Official support would be actually reading >the

DSON definitions.. blah.. blah.....blah

You the ,Daz PA, have your definition of Official support and myself & Reallusion have ours .

Example: When Daz the company assists a person who is having a problem with Dforce clothing item from the Daz store, that is Official Support from Daz the company as they are the ones selling us the Dforce Compatible Items

If I import Dawn or Dusk from Hiveware into Character creator 3 and their Eyeballs are poking out of their sockets, then Reallusion has to respond to my problem with OFFICIAL tech support/instructions for a fix because they have sold us a program that they claimed can import and use the Hiveware bases for rendering and content development.

This is our definition of "Official Support"

Now When some clever third party cobbles a script to shoehorn to genesis into poser or creates some home brewed light meter etc, it is use at your own discretion and he has no obligation to be available to sort out my problems.

In fact a person might even create an entire figure and hype for initial sales ( at another store)

and suddenly decide "I am not a business man" and leave it to "the community" to "support" it

This is NOT our definition of "Official Support"

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?forum_id=12547

My website

YouTube Channel

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Fri, 02 November 2018 at 8:42 AM · edited Fri, 02 November 2018 at 8:46 AM

wolf359 posted at 9:26AM Fri, 02 November 2018 - #4338765

You the ,Daz PA, have your definition of Official support and myself & Reallusion have ours .

Example: When Daz the company assists a person who is having a problem with Dforce clothing item from the Daz store, that is Official Support from Daz the company as they are the ones selling us the Dforce Compatible Items

If I import Dawn or Dusk from Hiveware into Character creator 3 and their Eyeballs are poking out of their sockets, then Reallusion has to respond to my problem with OFFICIAL tech support/instructions for a fix because they have sold us a program that they claimed can import and use the Hiveware bases for rendering and content development.

This is our definition of "Official Support"

Now When some clever third party cobbles a script to shoehorn to genesis into poser or creates some home brewed light meter etc, it is use at your own discretion and he has no obligation to be available to sort out my problems.

In fact a person might even create an entire figure and hype for initial sales ( at another store)

and suddenly decide "I am not a business man" and leave it to "the community" to "support" it

This is NOT our definition of "Official Support"

Understand, i read those instructions from the official forum and I provided the facts based on that. It's not official support, you are exporting from a program and importing into character creator. I don't think it's fair to spin that as official, when the instructions include a script to get the figure into a t-pose their import can recognize. This is a "3rd party hack" just like the script to load genesis 3 into poser and you save $250. That's the reality. And if you use Hivewire characters, Hivewire has a deal with Reallusion to have their figures natively loaded into iclone.

However this thread is about poser development, not about other products that allow you to load Daz and Hivewire figures. Understand if Smith Micro includes support for Dual Quaterion weightmapping in an update, you can use the same FBX process to load figures.. and theoretically use Dimension3D's utility load those items as well. That's the "official" support you just tried to post in this thread. Let's get back to the main topic of Poser now that we got that straightened out. Note as a "DAZ PA", I gave you options to use BOTH Hivewire and DAZ figures, and not toss your investment in Poser.

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 02 November 2018 at 9:02 AM · edited Fri, 02 November 2018 at 9:07 AM

I don't think it's totally about figures, it's about making vendors' jobs >easier to make content, which could include figures that are better >supported by everyone........................This is a "3rd party hack" just >like the script to load genesis 3 into poser and you save $250. That's >the reality.

Wrong ... quite wrong.. oh seller of Daz Content...

How exactly does the free Will Dial script ( with all due respect for his generous effort)

,Assist content creators with autoskin weighting of clothing meshes for G3 in poser???.

or prepare my imported G3 for animation &motion retargeting in IClone pro or export my Imotion animated G3 figure to blender, Lightwave, C4D Houdini as Alembic or provide an IRay Supershader or superfly supershader that instantly prepares my materials for rendering?

or optimize my G3 figure for export to Unity& unreal??

My website

YouTube Channel

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Fri, 02 November 2018 at 9:11 AM

wolf359 posted at 3:03PM Fri, 02 November 2018 - #4338760

Also, pretty, pretty, pretty sure that in the a worst case scenario? >Many ex-Poser guys will go Blender.

What Has stopped them from "going Blender" up to this point??

Sheldon cooper UI

Several times I tried to do something with blender without a chance. I couldn't even do the most basic things with it. So I hope from V.2.80 on, Blender will finally be easier to learn. BTW: I once had the chance to play with Maya, that is told to have a step learning curve too, I could even model some kind of a simple space ship within the first hour. I renember the first time I tried Blender, I even didn't know , how to open a file. LOL

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Fri, 02 November 2018 at 9:29 AM · edited Fri, 02 November 2018 at 9:34 AM

wolf359 posted at 10:27AM Fri, 02 November 2018 - #4338768

I don't think it's totally about figures, it's about making vendors' jobs >easier to make content, which could include figures that are better >supported by everyone........................This is a "3rd party hack" just >like the script to load genesis 3 into poser and you save $250. That's >the reality.

Wrong ... quite wrong.. oh seller of Daz Content...

How exactly does the free Will Dial script ( with all due respect for his generous effort)

,Assist content creators with autoskin weighting of clothing meshes for G3 in poser???.

or prepare my imported G3 for animation &motion retargeting in IClone pro or export my Imotion animated G3 figure to blender, Lightwave, C4D Houdini as Alembic or provide an IRay Supershader or superfly supershader that instantly prepares my materials for rendering?

or optimize my G3 figure for export to Unity& unreal??

Understand quite clearly that is this thread, I'm not the one pushing a competing software product, telling them to drop poser and has done so several times in this and other threads. As it's been said this is the poser forum and the conversation should stay with that software. I've stayed very much on the topic of poser also pointing out Hivewire figures which work in Poser and I do not "sell", not iclone/character creator. There's actually a forum for that, which you graciously pointed out earlier in this thread.

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 02 November 2018 at 4:02 PM · edited Fri, 02 November 2018 at 4:03 PM

You know Terrence, you are quite right!! we have a forum for Character creator now.

All are welcome with questions about the Reallusion suite of character tools for animation and illustration ..join us

My website

YouTube Channel

Boni ( ) posted Fri, 02 November 2018 at 4:29 PM

Since there are verious debates that are borderline in this thread ... I am locking it as it is NOT constructive. Some of you guys are just pushing it ... and I am pushing back.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.