Mon, Jun 3, 6:06 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 03 5:40 am)

Subject: White screens, crashes etc.

Xartis ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2015 at 4:16 AM · edited Thu, 16 November 2023 at 7:08 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Second try to shout for help.

I work with Poser 7 and 8 (no laughing, please) and recently both have developed the same annoying hiccup (not sure if this is a 'problem'.)

Sometimes I reload an existing file when The New Idea for a render requires a pose or setting that I have already created.

When I boot Poser 7 or 8 it might present me with the default Document window and permit me to click 'Load' and sometimes even select my existing file and say 'Load'.

I get a milky white screen and a message that "Poser executable file is no longer functioning."

I can re-boot Poser and sometimes it's a normal start. ( I've got up to the fifth reboot before I can start work.)

I guess that intermittent problems are the most difficult to solve but I sure would appreciate some comment or even experience with this problem.

This is beginning to Pee me off and SmithMicro's Help and Support department have chosen this time to re-work their Help department - Bugger !

Thanks in advance - Dave a.k.a. Xartis

infinity10 ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2015 at 4:39 AM

Have you got your graphics accelerator card device drivers updated ? Could be one cause of the trouble.

Eternal Hobbyist

Morkonan ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2015 at 10:06 PM · edited Tue, 16 June 2015 at 10:06 PM

If the file has version-incompatible settings issues in it, it could cause a problem. Also, check your available disk space and RAM, including video RAM, useage. Poser takes quite a bit, especially on large files.

You might want to try deleting your Poser preference files. This will do no more than reset Poser's prefs to factory default conditions. (Make sure to go back and reset things like binary morph target settings to where they were, though!) To do this, follow these instructions: https://support.smithmicro.com/customer/portal/articles/1982174-solving-weird-issues-with-poser-by-removing-the-preferences?b_id=8847

Lastly - If you've changed up how Poser is using/storing morph targets or you've done everything externally and you've got a different directory structure, now, that "might" cause a problem if Poser just can't find everything.

"Version Control" in Poser is more of an afterthought, limited to one line in common file inclusions, that really doesn't do much, I don't think, other than give a message to the user if they have a version that is older than the one the file was created for... It's so useless most vendors just set everything to Poser 4 in that line so their customers aren't bugged by unnecessary warning messages... (Well, the good ones do, at least.)

Morkonan ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2015 at 10:10 PM

I get a milky white screen and a message that "Poser executable file is no longer functioning." I can re-boot Poser and sometimes it's a normal start. ( I've got up to the fifth reboot before I can start work.)

A note on this: Poser does weird things, sometimes, when it crashes, making it's cache a mess and then choosing to reload that cache/settings on a restart. Not sure if it's a memory issue or an actual cache issue. But, the common solution, besides a reboot, is to clear out your computer's cache, either using something like CCleaner or using Windows Cleanup. Either of these will delete unused caches. Run 'em after Poser crashes, the restart Poser.

Also - Make sure you have given Poser adequate permissions. Basically, you need to either run it in Administrator mode or take the time to customize its permissions. If Poser runs into an operation it doesn't have Permission to execute, I could see it stalling out like this.

Xartis ( ) posted Wed, 17 June 2015 at 3:41 AM

Thanks a Million for all These possibilities.  I'll work on them all today.

Yesterday I found a solution which isn't perfect, but stops the White Screens.

After opening Poser, instead of going straight for a file, I call up a "New" file.  This is exactly the same as my Default start Screen as set up in my preferences, but it then allows Poser to run without Problems.  Funny. 

mr_phoenyxx ( ) posted Wed, 17 June 2015 at 1:51 PM

I'm using Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev, and I occasionally have a similar issue. I will start Poser, click on the File menu, try to load a scene I have saved, and Poser will crash. It doesn't happen very often, just every once in a while. Mostly, for me, it happens when I try to load a scene too quickly after starting Poser. I have a fairly large library of content at this time, so it is usually better to give Poser a few minutes to finish starting up and loading its libraries before I try to open a saved scene.

This is mostly a hard drive issue. My libraries are stored on a single drive that isn't particularly fast. It just takes longer to finish loading them. So if I'm patient, then it's not an issue.

You might be experiencing something similar. 

Xartis ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2015 at 4:49 AM

I've been quite busy lately.  Did a totally clean uninstall and checked everywhere for traces that Poser was once here.  All clean.  Then ran my cleaners, CC Cleaner, Wise Registry cleaner,  Windows own clear-up-the-junk App and followed that lot up with a defrag.

This morning re-installed Poser 7 and saw a lot of Screens I hadn't been seeing, like the Poser opening Screen when you can select what you want to do.

Poser started, much to my surprise and opened a miniature Document Window with Simon in it.  It also reported that this file is a later Version but we'll try to load it anyway etc. etc. and finally I got as far as changing the Document window figure (one of my V4 Girls)  and opening my library which was my external Content library and it never did that before.  Then I saved my preferences so that my Startup would always be my startup.  Except that ten seconds later I was bombed out to the Desktop. !  ?  !  So it's back to square one, guys.  Oh yes, in the middle of all this, the bit where I changed start-up figure, this was done by opening a file from my external Content.  So even that seemed at the time to be promising.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.