Tue, May 21, 5:01 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 21 1:34 pm)

Subject: Helping Poser Newbies

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 26 June 2012 at 8:05 PM

I saw that. Pretty sweet! :)

Laurie

sandman_max ( ) posted Sat, 30 June 2012 at 1:21 PM

Well, in answer to my own questions:

According to the DAZ archives, you can't select multiple items however there is a "Scene" tab.  It's called the Hierarchy Editor and can be accessed from the Windows menu.  It has the little eye icons, like DS does and you can just click them on and off to hide/show items.  Or search for lost objects.

Tucan-Tiki ( ) posted Sun, 01 July 2012 at 9:52 AM

been with poser a long time but hardly know how to use it lol

annimation pallette, dynamic cloth room, hair room, figure setup room,  i have absolutly no clue how to use thses yet.

I guess I spend so much time texturing and morphing and poseing I neglected to use these other features.

foxylady1 ( ) posted Sun, 01 July 2012 at 10:09 AM

This is why I find the manual very useful.  It does a fairly decent job of explaining all the functions.  If you find something that needs more depth, the Poser forum here is great.

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2012 at 1:05 AM

Some really great ideas in here.  I'm going to convert some to video tutorials!  With full credit to the poster of course :)

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2012 at 4:17 PM

Simple Steps With Poser 01 Goodbye Andy

Link to PDF

Simple Steps With Poser 02 Goodbye - Hello to the Ground Plane and Ground Shadows

Link to PDF

Simple Steps With Poser 03 Render Settings

Link top PDF

Simple Steps With Poser 04 Saving Your Render

Link to PDF

Simple Steps With Poser 05 Sticky Feet

Link to PDF

All the best.

LROG

Who honors those we love for the very life we live?, Who sends monsters to kill us?, and at the same time sings that we will never die., Who teaches us whats real?, and how to laugh at lies?, Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?, Who chains us?, and Who holds the key that can set us free... It's You!, You have all the weapons you need., Now Fight!

pauline ( ) posted Fri, 13 July 2012 at 6:41 PM

I used Poser a bit quite a few years ago and was able to do simple animations and scenes but I can't seem to get going with the Poser 9 trial I downloaded. right off the bat the library is empty and everything I read says all I should have to do is update my flash player. I have done that and all the suggested windows updates and I cannot figure out how to populate the library. there are characters included with the download right? if anybody can help me figure this out I would really appreciate it. I was counting on using Poser to do my capstone project because I thought I could catch back on  pretty quick but I'm getting a little worried about that decision.

basicwiz ( ) posted Fri, 13 July 2012 at 6:55 PM

Where did you install poser? (I.e. what is the path to Poser.exe?)

Make sure you DID NOT install it to windows/Program Files if you are using Windows 7. The UTC plays all sorts of games with content installed there. The program should be installed to the default location called by the installer.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 13 July 2012 at 6:56 PM

You have to add libraries so if you have an older version Poser install you can link the runtime of that version into Poser 9. Library window/upper right icon of folder with a plus sign and a running man. Laurie

pauline ( ) posted Fri, 13 July 2012 at 8:47 PM

"C:Program Files (x86)Smith MicroPoser 9Poser.exe"

I just accepted the default location when it was installing. I don't have an older version of Poser. I do have Windows 7 though.

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 14 July 2012 at 8:20 AM
Online Now!

It is perfectly okay to install Poser9 into the Program Files folder under Win7.  However, your content runtime must be located outside that folder to properly change and save back content.  Your default should point the content folder towards My Documents as the share point for Poser Content.  I have this arrangement installed on my 64 bit Win 7 Pro computer with added external runtimes away from Program Files.  I have not experienced any problems with UAC yet.

gohanf22 ( ) posted Sat, 14 July 2012 at 8:26 AM

Question to any pro Poser people.  Is there a way to get like your renders almost lifelike?  Ok reason why I am asking is I am a member of a site called looks can kill.  The guy who does the renders is using Poser and his renders if you look are like so lifelike.  The lips, eyes and even the skin is almost real like you can see the hair on the skin and the pores.  Is there a tutorial about how to make renders almost real?  Thank you.

basicwiz ( ) posted Sat, 14 July 2012 at 9:17 AM

hborre is, of course, correct. I misspoke when I asked where Poser was. My intended question was where your runtime folder was located. Can you find that? (I'm getting more senile by the moment. Work with me here.)

basicwiz ( ) posted Sat, 14 July 2012 at 9:35 AM · edited Sat, 14 July 2012 at 11:53 AM

gohanf22...

Lifelike renders? Here's the scheme that works quite well for me.

1. Start with a quality character. Most textures that come with freebees are, well... limited.

2. Run Scene Fixer on your scene.

3. Run EZSkin on your character. Preview Mode works well on anything other than an extreme closeup. (Both scene fixer and ezskin are available for free here.)

4. Make sure SSS, Raytracing, and Gamma Correction are enabled in your render settings. Raytrace bounces set to 4 will handle most situations. Set Irradiance caching to about 50. Make sure indirect light is checked. Set Indirect light quality to about 15. Pixel samples to 5. Min shading rate to .3

5. Don't use a lighting set. Instead use BB's envdome and one infinite light set for 12% for outside, or one or more point lights positioned where lights would actually be in the room for inside. All lights should have minimum shadow bias set to .1. Point lights should have Attenuation set to inverse square. All lights intended to cast shadows should be set to Raytrace shadows. (BagginsBill's Envsphere is available for free here.)

6. Render in background.

Of course, you can consider your other option, which is to learn the material room and how all the nodes work, plus get a grip on how Poser's lighting simulation approximates real physics.

I prefer the first solution, because BagginsBill and Snarleygribbly have already done this for us (God Bless 'em!)

The solution I've posted works well for me, and will usually get you 90% of the way there. The rest is tweaking.

gohanf22 ( ) posted Sat, 14 July 2012 at 3:17 PM

Yeah I haven't figured out how to use the material room yet.  I guess using the material room can add lifelike skin textures and hair on the skin?

basicwiz ( ) posted Sat, 14 July 2012 at 4:03 PM

Quote - Yeah I haven't figured out how to use the material room yet.  I guess using the material room can add lifelike skin textures and hair on the skin?

That is where it happens. But as I said, the programs and props mentioned go a long way to side-stepping the grief in there.

tamathy ( ) posted Sat, 14 July 2012 at 4:53 PM

I wasn't sure there was a place to ask about this, but this seems like a good place rather than starting a new subject.

I have the latest version of DAZ Studio & Poser Pro 2010. This isn't my first rodeo with 3D, but I've been on hiatus for about 4 years. I'm not sure what may have changed & where I should put things. I have 32GB of ZIPs & DS exe's to install-- around 2200 files. I can install everything into two redundant runtime folders if I must, but I'd rather not. I want to primarily use Poser, but I would like to be able to use DAZ too (I'm not sure why).

Where would you suggest putting my content if I want to use both programs? I'm thinking Poser, but I'd rather ask a dumb question now than end up with everything in the wrong place. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

I love the info in this thread, BTW. Everyone has had great tips.

pauline ( ) posted Sat, 14 July 2012 at 6:17 PM

C:Program Files (x86)Smith MicroPoser 9RuntimeLibrariesCharacterPeopleRyan

this is where the folder is with a file in it called P8Ryan_LR.obz and one called Ryan2_HR.obz but when I open Poser the Ryan folder in the library is empty. I haven't messed with this program in a very long time and I can't seem to remember even the most basic things. If I could figure out how to get a character in there maybe I could get started.

I don't remember having this much trouble with it. I had thought I would find some characters on line that would suit my purposes and open them in poser. but from the things I have read so far it's not that easy. I suppose I'll find a step by step start from the beginning tutorial to get going with but I just thought there should be some normal human characters in the library to begin with.

Weird things is there are heads and hands and skeletons just no people. Am I just missing a big piece of the picture or what?  

pauline ( ) posted Sat, 14 July 2012 at 6:19 PM

" Your default should point the content folder towards My Documents as the share point for Poser Content."

okay my brain is on over load right now and refuses to process this information. so I should cut the runtime folder from the Poser 9 directory and paste it into my documents?

pauline ( ) posted Sat, 14 July 2012 at 7:20 PM

also I found some old obj and cr2 files on a disc. do you think I could still use those? They're probably ten years old. I guess I need to find a poser for dummies book or something

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 14 July 2012 at 7:39 PM · edited Sat, 14 July 2012 at 7:41 PM
Online Now!

I wouldn't recommend it unless you can separate the content from everything else.  However, this is the bottomline, when installing Poser P8, P0, PP2010, PP2012 on Vista or Win 7 you will be prompted where to install your content.  Old time traditionalists will install content into the main Poser runtime, that is one of the options.  But, if you bother to read the other options, one will recommend installing the main program in Vista's/Win 7's Program Files folder and the content into documents/my documents.  You can also create other external runtimes in that same location and link them to the Poser Library.  This arrangement offsets UAC interference and allow content to be viewed as in earlier versions.  If you are inclined to uninstall, then reinstall Poser as per it's recommended option, you will correct the problem and see everything in the Library. 

Unless you are really sure where all your files are located under the present installation, relocating them will eventually break Poser to the extent that you will be forced to uninstall/reinstall as a final solution.

Edit: Old files will still work but if they have associated texture files, you might get missing files errors.

pauline ( ) posted Sat, 14 July 2012 at 8:29 PM

thank you, I accepted the suggested options. I don't remember where it gave me an option to put the content in a different location but if you say it did then I believe you. Once it told me this is where it wanted to put stuff, no I didn't bother to read the other options. if the program doesn't know itself where everything goes then I can't imagine how they think I should. I appreciate your advise, I suppose I will either reinstall it or just find something else that is not such a hassle

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2012 at 1:58 AM · edited Sun, 15 July 2012 at 2:00 AM

No. Pauline do you have any content you have purchased yourself? Like Vickie 4 or Aiko 3 or any characters? You know a runtime you used with your other versions of poser. OR!!! Are you trying out poser as a first timer?

OK, if you do have other content, when you open the library there is a place at the top of the library with a little folder and a man running in it? See that? OK, click on that and surf to your runtime from previous versions. The trial version of poser 9 does not come with content like the full version. If you do not buy it, thay are not going to give you free content, understand? So they do not include any content for you to potentially keep after the trial expires. But content you already own is what Basicwiz is refering to. Did this make better sense>?

Hope I could help....

Ariana

Is there water in your future or is it being shipped away to be resold to you?
Water, the ultimate weapon...

www.futurefantasydesign.com

tamathy ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2012 at 12:41 PM

I went back after reading the thread again & Poser Pro 2010 has installed a content folder with runtime folder inside in my documents. DAZ did this as well. I'm putting everything in there. I ran a quick test after the first 10 zip files & everything seems to  be going into the folder Poser pulls from. Didn't try DAZ because I'm not as interested but I think putting everything into My Documents is going to be a huge help. 

deanis91 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2012 at 6:29 AM

file_484235.jpg

Hi all

I purchased Poser 2012 three days ago and have been mucking around the with the UI trying to get the hang of things.

Either ive accidentally deleted the library window or its suddenly vanished for some reason, and i can't seem to get it back.

Ive tried using the 'Window' > 'Library' tab, "shift + ctrl + b" etc to no avail.

Poser is installed on a secondary HD, with the library file located inside the root directory "(../Smith Micro/PoserPro2012/runtime/libraries)"

Is there any way i can fix this?

cheers 

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2012 at 9:22 AM · edited Tue, 24 July 2012 at 9:25 AM

file_484238.jpg

> Quote - Hi all > > I purchased Poser 2012 three days ago and have been mucking around the with the UI trying to get the hang of things. > > Either ive accidentally deleted the library window or its suddenly vanished for some reason, and i can't seem to get it back. > > Ive tried using the 'Window' > 'Library' tab, "shift + ctrl + b" etc to no avail. > > Poser is installed on a secondary HD, with the library file located inside the root directory "(../Smith Micro/PoserPro2012/runtime/libraries)" > > Is there any way i can fix this? > > cheers 

You want to go up to the tab that says "Window" and drop down the list, select 'Library' and it will put your Library Window back on your poser side bar.

Hope this helps! ;)

Ariana

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2012 at 9:41 AM · edited Tue, 24 July 2012 at 9:41 AM

Oh I am sorry I did not completely understand your delemna. Have you updated your Adobe Flash? Also if you click on the poser program ICON, and there will be a drop down on that, at the bottom it says 'Properties'. Select Win 7 SP2 and that should also help.

Sorry I misunderstood.

Ariana

deanis91 ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2012 at 5:50 AM

Thanks for your reply Ariana.

I tried updating Flash, but it was already the most current version.

I couldn't find the drop down menu that you talked about, but instead i went to 

Edit --> General Preferences --> Interface: Launch to Factory State
                                                -->  Library: Embedded

The library window has returned! However, it's completely empty.
I got some weird error message when i first tried reloading it, so ill google the code and see what pops up.

Hopefully this helps anyone else having the same problem.

deanis91 ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2012 at 6:51 AM

file_484269.jpg

ok

So aparently poser connects to the net before loading the content library, presumably checking something, but im buggered if i know what.

Adding the Poser executable to the McAffee firewall whitelist was all that was needed.

Good luck to anyone that had the same issue, hope this helps! 

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2012 at 8:54 AM
Online Now!

The Poser Library requires access to specific internet protocols to function appropriately.  Any firewall or antivirus denying access will generate an error and a blank Library.

SiodaMactiir ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2012 at 4:20 PM

ok, so I just bought poser debut, and it works great for the most part. my only issue is that when I give the people clothes, it doesn't actually work right. their bodies show through parts of the clothing. I've done the "conform to..." part, and it sorta works, but not really. how do I fix this?

basicwiz ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2012 at 6:37 PM

What character are you using? V4? Did you apply the clothing magnets?

ElZagna ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2012 at 7:15 PM

I experiance this frequently myself even when using V4 without any morphs! One vendor (3d-Age maybe) always says (in broken English) something like, "The auto conform should work, but if it doesn't, delete and reload." I tried that once and it actually worked. No pokethru.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 9:52 AM

You do need to apply the magentise pose to the clothes, especially if the collars are lifted in your pose as that pulls the breasts up (using the magnets) and the pose makes the clothes follow.

ElZagna ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:17 AM

Sometimes the magnet poses work and sometimes they don't. Either way it shouldn't have any effect at the zero pose. My understanding is that they help move the clothes with the poses.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 3:03 PM

That's right, the magnets shift as V4 is posed and they need to affect the clothing. The magnetise poses are fussy - you need, as I recall, to make sure you select V4 before loading each piece of clothing (Poser will select the clothing after you load it), and you need to make sure you are using the pose that corresponds to your V4 (the nth loaded into the scene needs Magnetise pose n).

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 3:32 PM

deanis, prior to loading the library, poser contacts contentparadise, renderosity, rdna and producturlsupport, that users might search those for items they need.

SiodaMactiir ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 5:59 PM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 6:04 PM

I'm using alyson just as practice, learning stuff with props and whatnot. I'm looking at tutorials for magnets, and I can't find anything in the menus on here about magnets.

also, I've done the delete and retry thing a lot. no change at all

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 7:44 PM
Online Now!

Specifically, for conforming to fit as close to correct as possible, the morphs found in your model should be found in the clothing item.  So, for example, if V4 contains barbarian in her morph parameters, that same morph should be found in the clothing.  Otherwise, you will have pokethru's when the morph is dialed up.  And the way to introduce those missing morphs is by using Wardrobe Wizard or Morphing Clothes. 

Also, pose your models before conforming clothing.  In most cases, those pokethru's will not appear. 

Make body parts invisible if clothing covers those areas. 

ElZagna ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:51 PM

Quote - deanis, prior to loading the library, poser contacts contentparadise, renderosity, rdna and producturlsupport, that users might search those for items they need.

Why would it do that? What if we don't want to search for any products? Why delay the startup for something that the user will likely not need? And what is producturlsupport?

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 3:03 PM

zag, those sites are safe connexions, e.g. no blacklisted tracking cookies nor trojans currently associated with any of them, hence I reckon it's safe to connect.  poser does that to accommodate users who wish to search for content online.  producturlsupport is a site for smith micro's softwares in re: updates et al..  bill mentioned that the poser library will load, even if the machine is not connected to the internet, should one be desirous of that.

personally I was rather pleased to see 'rosity's name added to the list, after all these years of faithful service as a poser content provider and a place where new users can learn about poser.

ElZagna ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 3:37 PM

Thanks, Nancy. I wasn't so worried about the trustworthyness of the sites as much as I was about the unnecessary delay in making the connections. I would prefer that any such connection occur only after the user takes some speific action to trigger it.

bartsavagewood ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 11:05 AM

am loooking for someone near by that can show me what I'm doing wrong in the face room working on faces in poser 8 save and they end up as 2010 files that will not work in 2010 or 8

Bendinggrass ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2012 at 5:40 PM

HI.

I might be in the wrong section for this question, but this seemed like a good place to start.

The present promotion allows for a 30% discount for one purchase. And this is a GREAT idea, and a worthy promotion. Thanks Rendo.

Is this product included in the promotion:

"The 3D Cookbook: Multipass Rendering"   by  RubiconDigital.

Thanks.

R

bartsavagewood ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2012 at 12:19 PM

anyone living in Nebraska that can tutor a poser newbie?

Kinder-1 ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2012 at 2:13 PM

Hi I'm a very new newbie- only had Poser for 2 days. I'm on a 64 bit computer. I've downloaded V4 and morphs and A4 and after some difficulty I think I've extracted all the Poser PC files - I make it 10. I have installed these into the runtime directories but when I load V4 I get an anaemic spiderwoman! ie no skin and no bikini. I guess I've mucked up somewhere along the way. Should I uninstall and start again or is ther something simple that I've not done that some veteran user can spot. I've tried to follow Sveva's tutorial ie installing separately into the different runtime departments.  Any ideas folks?

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2012 at 5:51 PM · edited Fri, 28 September 2012 at 6:01 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

on the spiderwoman, perhaps you can post a screenshot of the material room, such that the shot shows both the render and the material nodes for the skin. this version is the one that came with carrara 6, but their current freebie is likely similar.

FREE photo hosting by PostMyImage.com

Kinder-1 ( ) posted Sat, 29 September 2012 at 10:51 AM

Thanks but i've manage to sort it. Now got the textures correct.  Thanks for your interesst.

colpolstudios ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2012 at 4:10 AM

I am hoping you will help me with a newbee question.

I wish to use my normal map within poser but I can not find a normal map within the material room.

I placed my normal map image into the bump section but is this correct?

Would you recommend that i use a bump map image ?

dolphing ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2012 at 7:21 PM

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.