Mon, Jun 17, 4:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 16 8:21 pm)

Subject: Victoria 5 coming soon??

aeilkema ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 3:28 AM · edited Tue, 18 October 2011 at 3:29 AM

Quote - FWIW, there is no "buying another app" involved, since DAZ says the exporter will be available for the free version. It's not really clear to me why DAZ couldn't just provide a CR2 of base Genesis, V5 etc; I assume there's a technical reason that can't be done.

But in the end, it would provide no more functionality than other weight mapped figures in Poser, except it would have a lower rez mesh. (I do wish Poser would deploy Catmull-Clark.) I guess that will be enough for some people.

It's very clear why they don't do it, nothing technical at all. If you can export through DS to Poser, then they can place it in the market as a stand-alone figure as well. The reason they don't do it is very obvious, they want you to use DS and hope you will get used to it.

Hey, you can use our figure in Poser, but you have to use and learn DS to get it there, let's be honest..... that is the most customer unfriendly thing there is and quite absurd if you think abiut it. The only reason for this is DAZ's hope to win people over to DS. If you're already doing half of the work in DS, why not go all the way?

So, nothing technical at all, pure marketing.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

icprncss2 ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 3:46 AM

DAZ is not a software creator.  They purchased Mimic from another company.  They purchased Bryce from Corel.  They purchased Cararra from Eovia USA.  Many of their DAZ Studio people used to work for various owners of Poser.

All the rest of their "innovations" are from 3rd parties that they bought out and have stuck their name on. 

Their dynamic cloth is beign handled by Optitex and being handled rather poorly.  It shouldn't take 5 years to where you only have 32 and 64 bit versions of a control plugin for both apps.  The Mac version of either one and the 64 bit only coming in the last couple of months.

Big deal, they have AutoFit.  It's a crippled version of cloth conversion app.  It only converts Gen 4 clothing to Genesis and only goes one way.  The original demo of Wardrobe Wizard did more than that.  I own the full versions of 1 and 2 and have never bothered with the built in versions but I assume the limitations lie with the included Poser content unless you buy ths support packs.  Which at least makes it expandable.   

The one thing I still love is the ancient press release where DAZ touted that it was making 3D Art available to "the masses" (their term not mine) and that you would be able to create beautiful 3D art in a few mouse clicks.

It's all in the 23 Sept 2004 press release from DAZ.

alexcoppo ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 6:01 AM

They bought everything but Studio which is totally a work of theirs and it shows, as it is the only software in their portfolio which is really developed.

Bye!!!

P.S.:I haven't become overnight a DAZ f... ops, evangelist, it is just that I cherish truth, whatever it is.

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2

aeilkema ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 7:04 AM · edited Tue, 18 October 2011 at 7:09 AM

They did not only buy Cararra, but they also took over part of the staff. Thinking that DAZ only buys up technology is giving them too less credit. They've got a software development team and not even a bad one. To be honest, their software development team may even be better then Poser's team.

DAZ's team was able to ubtangle Bryce and rewrite and improve it. They did the same with Hexagon. They're able to handle and improve Cararra. They wrote DS from scratch, rewriting it constantly and contantly improve it. Poser's team only does one application and while they have added some new features, but it's hardly anything, compared to what DAZ improves and adds each time to a new release. Not for one application as the Poser team does and not roughly once a year as Poser does, not counting some updates.

I'm not a DAZ advocate, most know that, but some people are giving DAZ way too little credit, even for my taste. Compared to what DAZ does, handles and manages, the Poser team are just a couple of high school kids working out of their garage. I just wish Smith Micro would take the situation more serious, instead of releasing mediocre updates each year. I know some still get excited about a Poser release, but compared to what Poser used to release with each new version, the last years have been mediocre, with the exception of version 8, that was pretty decent, but 6, 7 and now 2010 are hardly worthy of a full release number.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

Bejaymac ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 7:40 AM

Quote - > Quote - FWIW, there is no "buying another app" involved, since DAZ says the exporter will be available for the free version. It's not really clear to me why DAZ couldn't just provide a CR2 of base Genesis, V5 etc; I assume there's a technical reason that can't be done.

But in the end, it would provide no more functionality than other weight mapped figures in Poser, except it would have a lower rez mesh. (I do wish Poser would deploy Catmull-Clark.) I guess that will be enough for some people.

It's very clear why they don't do it, nothing technical at all. If you can export through DS to Poser, then they can place it in the market as a stand-alone figure as well. The reason they don't do it is very obvious, they want you to use DS and hope you will get used to it.

Hey, you can use our figure in Poser, but you have to use and learn DS to get it there, let's be honest..... that is the most customer unfriendly thing there is and quite absurd if you think abiut it. The only reason for this is DAZ's hope to win people over to DS. If you're already doing half of the work in DS, why not go all the way?

So, nothing technical at all, pure marketing.

It's all down to business & greed. Originally the idea was for Genesis to work the same in DS & Poser, that way content would still work in either app no matter which one it was built in. SM however spotted the perfect opportunity to expand thier empire & 'kick' DAZ3d out of the Poserverse, by rejecting the DSF format they ensured that there wouldn't be a new DAZ figure to rival thier P9 figures, for the first time ever they 'might' actually get the monopoly on figure/content sales/support that has always belonged to Zygote/DAZ, as that is where the money is, however Mike's work with weight mapping 'Toni and V4 could be a problem for them 😉.

DAZ have shown how niave they are thinking SM (thier rival) would accept the format, and now in a bit of a panic thier creating an exporter so that Poser9+ users can still use the new DAZ figure (and so they can try and hang onto thier monopoly), even though it'll be missing all of the bells & whistles it has in DS4. This will cause a couple of problems, first one being your going to need a copy of DS4 Express (the free version & Express is what they've been calling it in the doc's that come with DS 😉), this isn't a problem for most of us as we'll use any software we can get our hands on to do our work, it will be a problem for the 'fanatics' though.
The second problem is this could cause a split marketplace, any content made for the DS4 Genesis will work on the Poser version after you export it, but any content made in Poser won't work on the DS4 Genesis.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 8:25 AM

Quote - They did not only buy Cararra, but they also took over part of the staff. Thinking that DAZ only buys up technology is giving them too less credit. They've got a software development team and not even a bad one. To be honest, their software development team may even be better then Poser's team.

DAZ's team was able to ubtangle Bryce and rewrite and improve it. They did the same with Hexagon. They're able to handle and improve Cararra. They wrote DS from scratch, rewriting it constantly and contantly improve it. Poser's team only does one application and while they have added some new features, but it's hardly anything, compared to what DAZ improves and adds each time to a new release. Not for one application as the Poser team does and not roughly once a year as Poser does, not counting some updates.

I'm not a DAZ advocate, most know that, but some people are giving DAZ way too little credit, even for my taste. Compared to what DAZ does, handles and manages, the Poser team are just a couple of high school kids working out of their garage. I just wish Smith Micro would take the situation more serious, instead of releasing mediocre updates each year. I know some still get excited about a Poser release, but compared to what Poser used to release with each new version, the last years have been mediocre, with the exception of version 8, that was pretty decent, but 6, 7 and now 2010 are hardly worthy of a full release number.

My memory is not that great with Studio's features, but weren't most of it's included features written by third party developers. I know the dynamic clothing modules are Optitex technology... right?

And now that you mention it, here's the other thing that bothers me about people who want Poser to adopt DAZ's technology. As you say basically Studio is always in development, trying to improve. So say Poser, adopts DAZ's Genesis technology. Now, they're forced to wait while DAZ's development team tinkers with it. Case in point, Autofit. I understand that it strips out the morphs  from the clothes it refits to Genesis, and DAZ is currently working to fix that. For the record, I've no problem with them working to improve things, but as SM has said, it makes Poser dependent on DAZ's technology. Poser only comes out every two years or so anyway. Won't they have to wait longer  to put out software while waiting for DAZ to fix what they broke, or put out an inferior product?

The one thing about Poser that I've always like was that the Mac version and the Windows version all had the same features. There was no waiting for a Mac version to come out two years after the windows version if it came out at all. DAZ is infamous for that. Obviously, as a Windows user, that probably doesn't bother some people, but if you're a Mac user, it would piss you off being treated like an afterthought, and not even a very important one at that.

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 8:36 AM · edited Tue, 18 October 2011 at 8:40 AM

"It's all down to business & greed."

So when Autodesk,Adobe,Apple, Microsoft et al, release platform/application  specific products for the purpose of enticing new and existing buyers to continue buying from them.
that just boring old marketing and brand retention.

When DAZ inc. does the same
 it becomes an immoral act of "Greed" because...... Oh yeah!!
it upsets someones Myopic little "poserverse" ??

"SM however spotted the perfect opportunity to expand thier empire & 'kick' DAZ3d out of the Poserverse, by rejecting the DSF format they ensured that there wouldn't be a new DAZ figure to rival thier P9 figures, for the first time ever they 'might' actually get the monopoly on figure/content sales/support that has always belonged to Zygote/DAZ, as that is where the money is,"

Nice melodramatic theory but it lacks credibility due to a few undeniable factors:
SYDNEY,SIMON,ALYSON,RYAN.
IMHO it is just not plausible that anyone with nefarious plans for a takeover of the figure market would attempt doing so with those subpar figures leading the attack.

I would have had that same odds of overtaking Apples iPad market with a notepad of legal paper and a box of Crayons.

"Originally the idea was for Genesis to work the same in DS & Poser, that way content would still work in either app no matter ..."

Originally the ASSUMPTION was that genesis would work the same in both apps
an assumption NEVER  supported by any official statements from SM or DAZ,
but put forth by several presumed "in the know" forum dwellers.

Who based their "knowledge" on the vestigial notion that the world of poser/Daz was and shall always remain flat.
Well it is round and there are new & Different things beyond the horizon.

Time to build a better boat people.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 9:33 AM

Quote - SM needs to get on the ball about proper subdivision and scaling. 

This - RIGHT HERE!

Having recently acquired Poser, I've forced myself to use it exclusively over the past couple of weeks. Love the renderer to death, absolutely hate the lack of SubD, and positively detest the scaling bug. SubD let me breathe new life into older meshes, and allowed newer ones to bend in amazing ways without tearing things up. 

PS: fix the library too... at least make it a tear-off window that we can re-size outside the main window... please? Not all of us have 32" widescreen monitors. Heck, some of us do this on a 16" laptop and hate squinting. For now, I keep a separate File window upon and use the .png files there as reference. :(

============

Quote - Why worry about the rest of the tools?  Charge a pro amount like they do for Studio Pro, make THAT the flagship software, and start focusing on figures again.  DazStudio could then be a niche piece that people who prefer to use it over poser and the pressure is not on to compete with Poser so much.

But, umm, that would make DAZ a niche provider dependent on Poser's parent company (currently SM) to survive. No business wants to do that. It would be like Microsoft going back to just writing Apple software (originally, that's all Microsoft did).

The whole reason D|S existed in the first place is because at the time, it looked like EGISys was going to go under and destroy Poser with it. 

Personally, I like the fact that there is more than one app to keep things alive. 

===

Quote - DAZ Studio has zero support for Poser beyond things that were Poser 4 based.

Not entirely true, else it couldn't read .pmd files, for starters. ;)

Quote - DS could have brought in Python support if they wanted to.  It's freely open source and fully integratable.

sigh... I tried. By the time I got a word in edge-wise, DAZ|Script was already in place. OTOH, the native scripting was written especially for 3D manipulation but is still ECMA-compliant; just takes some getting used to. 

===

Quote - Interestingly, people over DAZ forums drool over renders but they are the result of the combination of the base mesh, morph, textures, shaders and rendering engine.

...you mean just like they do here, right Alex? 

oops?

===

Quote - This Awesome Rig 
is only truly Functional WITHIN blender

Cinema4D R13's new built in Character rigs are only useful within C4D
And I can show you some amazing Rigs using Autodesk's proprietary "Human IK"
tech that only functions in MAYA.

yes I know we have FBX .Collada for supposed cross platform use of character rigs but honestly the truth of the matter is if you truly want a figure to be its absolute best  you should leverage the internal Structure of the app for which it was created

this is the reality of it.

Exactly. Anyone pretending otherwise is either a merchant, or someone with an axe to grind. 

Truth is, there are two different figure types now, and they will get more different as time passes. 

I find myself in the middle... DAZ|Studio needs something that makes incorporating HDRI, IBL, and AOL less painful than a penis-piercing with a rusty nail. Poser needs a UI that doesn't suck as badly, and resource usage that doesn't make a frickin' i7 CPU groan under the weight. 

If LuxRender (or similar) were better on time usage (I honestly don't need 18000p resolution for something that will never be printed), I'd have a solution at hand.

If Poser had a better UI and wasn't such a resource hog, (or at least had SubD and some sense of scaling that was worth a sh!t) I'd still have one.

As it is, I'm kind of stuck in between both worlds for now...

wimvdb ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 9:53 AM

@Penguisto

The library is tear off and if you have the 64bit PP2012 version you can even have it as a separate app

The UI thing - I absolutely dislike the UI of DS (all versions) and I do like the UI of Poser. So if they would follow you, I would be unhappy.

Regarding Microsoft's origin - Support for Apple was just of of the things Bill did. He started with implementing Basic on a variety of systems (big word for very small cpu's). I implemented one version with them in a dedicated wordprocessor in 1979.

SubD would be a nice feature but has its limitations as well. It would be nice if Poser would get it, but is not easy to implement as an afterthought

Resource hog - Yes, Poser is. Just like most of the 3D applications. 64bitness helps a lot in this respect, but whatever you do you will reach its limits soon enough. (if not because of lack of memory, it will be because of lack of CPU cycles). For now I can load plenty of stuff and have not reached the limit yet

Most of the scaling issues have been resolved. The only part still having a problem is single axis scaling. I hope this will gets resolved some time in the future.

imax24 ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 10:05 AM

Quote -  As far as auto-morph movement (dial matching) it can rather easily be Python-driven.  In fact the entire Deformer/Auto Fit scenario could be Python-driven.  So, the tools are already there just not tapped into.

Now if only some developer of python-based Poser tools would do it! (hint hint)

3anson ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 10:25 AM · edited Tue, 18 October 2011 at 10:26 AM

actually, DS CANNOT read .pmd files natively, but they can be used via a free script from the freepository  ' Inject .pmd'   is the name of it, i believe.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 11:14 AM

Am I getting confuded in the rush of revisionist history or didn't Poser get FireFly and the FaceRoom (and possibly other bits) from someone else? The origins are far less important than the end result, i.e. DS Cloth not so good, FireFly great, FaceRoom not so much etc.

I could see if Poser adopted Daz's format exclusively, they'd be in a dangerous position but why would they do that. Adding Genesis support as an addition to their own only broadens their appeal. I can see from a technical standpoint not wanting to have two similar, but not the same technologies, or from a bidness standpoint of wanting to have your own figures, but the whole existential threat thng seems overblown. Oh well, SM got the house, Daz got the kids, and I'm sure that somehow, somewhere, lawyers got the money - time to move on.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 11:33 AM

file_474189.jpg

***"SubD let me breathe new life into older meshes, and allowed newer ones to bend in amazing ways without tearing things up. "***

And the advantages  for  us animators who can smoothly animate  a nice low poly mesh and simply hit the Sub D button before render time  are GREAT!!..( pic attached)

"Am I getting confuded in the rush of revisionist history or didn't Poser get FireFly and the FaceRoom (and possibly other bits) from someone else?"

AFAIK the Cloth Room was ( Leased/bought??)
From "Size8software"
I think Firefly is written internally by SM at this point.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

alexcoppo ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 11:52 AM

If Studio 4 and Genesis are so badass why all you DAZ evangelists are out on crusade to convert Poser and Poser users? because this way we will go to heaven? sorry, but sitting all day long on a marble column, playing a cetra is not my dream (imagine how your ass will feel in the evening :biggrin:).

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 12:18 PM

"If Studio 4 and Genesis are so badass why all you DAZ evangelists are out on crusade to convert Poser and Poser users? because this way we will go to heaven? sorry, but sitting all day long on a marble column, playing a cetra is not my dream (imagine how your ass will feel in the evening"

Thank you for your Nice, Adult ,Mature contribution to the thread.
Not that anyone asked but I was locked out of DAZ studio  back on version 2.3
why?? because my Ancient 2008 Mac easily runs MODO401, Maxon C4D R11 with Vray& Maxwell, Nextlimit Realflow4, Lightwave3D with external Kray render engine ,

But is not powerful enough to handle the graphic card requirements of DAZ little free Nekkid Vicky maker.

But I keep D/S 2.3 around because of the excellent third party NONlinear Character animationmotion mixing system (animate+) that is lightyears ahead of poser  in this one respect and it exports my combined animation data to animated Pz2 files that I can use directly in C4D on imported poser rigs.

Beyond that... DAZ studio is/remains useless to me.

And I honestly dont see any DAZ fans actually trying to convert poser users

So why the Angry Flame post??

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

imax24 ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 12:19 PM · edited Tue, 18 October 2011 at 12:22 PM

I am all for the innovations and benefits that Genesis reportedly offers. And when they work quickly and intuitively in Poser without the necessity of another 3D app for exporting, I will take a good long look at them. That's my choice. It doesn't make me wrong or right. Time will tell if D4 / Genesis is the Betmax or if Poser / V4 is.

It's worth noting that the Betamax was the upstart product that had great ideas but couldn't gain enough market share. If Genesis were to collapse for that reason (and I don't think it will) its innovative features would be incorporated into Poser eventually. Some of them already were, even though D4 / Genesis were pushed out the door faster.

Meanwhile, I'm not worried about my V4 investment going down the tubes. If all V4 content were to disappear from the market tomorrow, I would be happy for years with the stuff in my runtimes I haven't even gotten around to yet. It would almost be a relief, in a way, if I wasn't incessantly tempted by nice new V4 products. :)

Netherworks ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 12:24 PM

er... DS (3 I know, unsure about 4) can read .pmd files but only upon initial figure load, if the figure is tied to a .pmd.  It cannot use .pmd injection beyond that without the free plugin.

Netherworks ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 12:27 PM

SDS is far from required for nice figure bending but I'd agree it would be a reasonable option to have.

3anson ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 12:58 PM

Quote - er... DS (3 I know, unsure about 4) can read .pmd files but only upon initial figure load, if the figure is tied to a .pmd.  It cannot use .pmd injection beyond that without the free plugin.

weird, i have a couple of characters that use .pmd, could never get them to work without the plug-in.?

Netherworks ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 1:12 PM

It's possible that it's intermittent or requires a certain specific way that it has to be done.  I'm really not sure.  I've seen it work with clothing.  I think it's safe to say I lean more towards a DS Dabbler than a DS Scientist :D

But the plugin is probably the best route to go and keep the pmd as injections for clothing or figures.

I don't think it's been updated for DS4 though?

3anson ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 1:19 PM

no idea, i am afraid i will not be upgrading to DS4, as far as i am concerned, they have turned a nice logical interface into a maze of hidden tools and it is way too much of a clickfest to do anything now. not to mention the CMS, which is the worst implemented piece of trash i have ever seen.

i love my DS3A, but any upgrading now will be to PP2012, not DS4.

btw, been using DS since DS 1.7, and even with its quirks, i have loved it , up until DS4.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 1:28 PM

Quote - It doesn't make me wrong or right. Time will tell if D4 / Genesis is the Betmax or if Poser / V4 is.

I'm thinking that maybe the analogy is not Betamax vs. VHS but Wintel vs. Mac vs. Linux. 

Dunno if Poser will end up the PC or Linux to DAZ's Mac, but I don't think it's inevitable that one will vanquish the other. 

Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 1:28 PM

Quote - If Studio 4 and Genesis are so badass why all you DAZ evangelists are out on crusade to convert Poser and Poser users?

Huh? I just want one that combines the best of both. First one to do it gets the contents of my wallet. 

That's the thing, though... One (D|S) has the best pre-render bits alive, IMHO, but the render-side is maddening. The other (Poser) has a very nice render setup, but drives me mad while using the UI, scaling, oh - and then there's that lack of SubD, which in turn means post-work to clean up the inevitable mesh artifacts.

Let's call it a peanut-butter/chocolate thing, but no one wants to make any frickin' peanut-butter cups.

If there was only a way to make rendering HDRI or IBL/AOL in D|S without having to sacrifice a small animal first...  I'd be in frickin' Heaven.

If Poser would adopt SubD and/or fix the stupid (decade+ old) single-axis scaling bug? I'd delete D|S from my computer with a smile on my face, and put up with all the other crap, with nary a complaint.

As for what you use? Let me hope that my missive has made this clear: I don't really care. I just want something that, like, works.

Netherworks ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 1:45 PM

I really don't know why the Poser UI is so baffling/unusual/awkward.  I mean you have a Parameters Panel with Parameters/Properties, a scene Panel, Lights Panel and Editing Tools Panel.  There are more but those are basically the essentials and to me, having those makes sense.  Everything else is accessable via a traditional menu bar at the top.

I find it less cryptic than many oddball 3D software UI designs out there, of which there are many.

Is is because the Panels don't roll-up/slide or can't be tabbed?

Comparitively, it no more unusual than Photoshop if you looked at it for the first time.  With the various palettes floating in the workspace...

I keep my UI somewhat Spartan with regards to the standard controls.  I despise the giant Camera Controls Panel and simply use what's atop the Scene Panel.  However, I know some folks like the former.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2011 at 2:31 PM

"I'm thinking that maybe the analogy is not Betamax vs. VHS but Wintel vs. Mac vs. Linux. "

Quit possibly. IIRC, Apple was pretty aggressive in courting the education market. I have no idea what Daz/Sm are doing in that regard. I'd certainly be looking at developing a free, multi-level 3D animation curriculum that I could hawk to schools. if I didn't have one.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

alexcoppo ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 2:15 AM

Somebody went CSI on the body remains of V5 in the DAZ forum and came with a merge of images which represent the face of the mesh; you can find the result here.

I am wondering whether the current World War in Poserdom is justified by this "prize" .

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 3:45 AM

There's nothing wrong with the "prize". I'd be using Genesis if I could get to it without having to fire up DS4, which I can't do anyway on my machine whether I wanted to or not. Only problem for me is that every image of Genesis that I've seen so far seems to have the same "fake" feel to it. The image of V5 I saw being cobbled together puts me in mind of a mannikin or blow up doll.

bevans84 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 8:00 AM

file_474230.jpg

Well, Daz could immediately stop further V4 growth by pulling it from the market, however unlikely that would be.

Personally, I use the poser pro's (2010 or 2012), Hex, Carrara, and/or ZBrush for everything. DS 4 is installed, but I'm waiting for them to get it working with my tablet mouse, so it's not used.
I make a good living from my website so I have no real interest in being a content provider, and am not concerned with being recognized for my "art". I post very few renders, except to a nondescript, nonsocializing account on DA. Believe me, you can learn a lot about what works or not within 5 minutes after posting there in relative anonymity.

On the subd thing, poser seems to do quite well with it's smoothing on characters with the smoothing set for 70 degrees. One of my favorite characters is V4.2 that calls the 17k poly V4 LOD mesh with all my favorite morphs imported with MorCloth. So, I don't think Genesis being low poly would be that much of a problem in poser.

Here's a render of 17k V4 made for a post I thought about making on one of the lowpoly  threads, but decided against.
Heck, it's probably junk anyway. :-)

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 8:11 AM

Well, Daz could immediately stop further V4 growth by pulling it from the market, however unlikely that would be.

They could, but there are too many people with V4 already to stop any so called growth.

All the best.

LROG

Who honors those we love for the very life we live?, Who sends monsters to kill us?, and at the same time sings that we will never die., Who teaches us whats real?, and how to laugh at lies?, Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?, Who chains us?, and Who holds the key that can set us free... It's You!, You have all the weapons you need., Now Fight!

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 9:12 AM

I can't help but wonder how much DAZ is going to charge me for the cr2 exporter so I can use a not fully functional  "FREE"  Genesis in Poser.  Not saying that they don't have the right to charge for it, but now there's even less incentive for me to try and use Genesis.

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 10:22 AM

Users won't give up V4, they have too much money invested in it.

Content makers will still continue doing items, freebie makers, including myself will continue to do things.

V5 is not even out of the door into the market placeyet, let alone knowing exactly what will and wont't work in our programs.

Until V5 actually appears it's a waste of energy speculating this ot that.

Just wait while it appears and then either use it or not.

All the best.

LROG

Who honors those we love for the very life we live?, Who sends monsters to kill us?, and at the same time sings that we will never die., Who teaches us whats real?, and how to laugh at lies?, Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?, Who chains us?, and Who holds the key that can set us free... It's You!, You have all the weapons you need., Now Fight!

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 10:23 AM · edited Wed, 19 October 2011 at 10:28 AM

Quote - I can't help but wonder how much DAZ is going to charge me for the cr2 exporter so I can use a not fully functional  "FREE"  Genesis in Poser.  Not saying that they don't have the right to charge for it, but now there's even less incentive for me to try and use Genesis.

Moot ,
 if one cannot even afford a new mac to be able to run DS4 & its Cr2 Exporter
then the  potential cost of such exporter is not relevant  now is it??
alsosince you have made several Statements here & at the DAZ forums that you would NEVER install DS4, even with new hardware.

Then the cost of any DS4 plugin, again for you, is.... Moot

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 10:27 AM

Quote - > Quote - I can't help but wonder how much DAZ is going to charge me for the cr2 exporter so I can use a not fully functional  "FREE"  Genesis in Poser.  Not saying that they don't have the right to charge for it, but now there's even less incentive for me to try and use Genesis.

Moot ,
 if one cannot even afford a new Mac to be able to run DS4 & its Cr2 Exporter,
then the  potential cost of such exporter is not relevant  now is it??

Not really. Just because I can't run the program or exporter, doesn't mean I can't wonder how much they cost, now does it?

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 10:31 AM

I have heard rumors that it will cost 9 trillion dollars.

good thing you have vowed ( repeatedly) never to run DS4.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 10:49 AM

Quote - I have heard rumors that it will cost 9 trillion dollars.

Still trying to put words in my mouth, I see. Never made any such vow.  Although, admittedly, by the time I get the money to buy a computer capable of running DS4, DS5 may be coming out.:laugh:

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 10:50 AM

I hope that V5 and the exporter get better testing than recent events have shown.

All the best.

LROG

modus0 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 11:10 AM

Am I the only one who noticed that the insides of her elbows look like bent straws?

They look nothing like a real bent arm, and so much like V4 and earlier's arms...

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

Zev0 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 12:24 PM · edited Wed, 19 October 2011 at 12:27 PM

The exporter is going to be free as far as I remember.

My Renderosity Store

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 3:54 PM

DAZ has updated it's comments on Victoria 5 in the Commons to include the following:

**Q. Will Victoria 5 work in Poser? **

A. Since Victoria 5 is built upon the Genesis platform, she can only work in programs that supply some level of support for this new platform. Poser 9 and Poser Pro 2012 currently offer limited functionality. DAZ 3D has put (and continues to put) significant effort into working with Smith Micro to build support for our technology. We hope that Smith Micro will continue to expand their support so that the full capabilities of our new Genesis figures can be experienced within their programs as well. How valuable this limited functionality is depends on the workflow of each individual user. 

**What you can do with Victoria 5 in Poser 9/Poser Pro 2012: **

• Load the same Victoria 5 shapes 

• Bend, scale, pose 

• Use morphs that came across as part of the CR2 export 

• Render 

What you can NOT do with Victoria 5 in Poser 9/Poser Pro 2012: 

• Benefit from SubD being applied after the figure is posed, for dynamic smoothing of the model (Poser has its own approach to smoothing a mesh at render time, but it is not the same) 

• Dynamically add morphs to the figure after the figure ships as a product, without an interim step. 

• Automatic Morph generation, the ability to automatically generate morphs on fitted clothing when a morph on the underlying figure is dialed up 

• Automatically swap out UV's and materials via a preset file 

• Use "Smart Content" (meta-data) that is used to simplify the content selection and usage experience for the user. 

** Published Artists should NOT use the exported CR2 version of the Genesis figure for creating add-ons. *

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 4:30 PM

" Automatically swap out UV's and materials via a preset file "

...you can't use a MAT file? cough

Believable3D ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 4:34 PM

Er... I don't think you can do UV switching via a MAT file, can you? That's one of the Genesis features in DS, so that radically different shapes can switch UVs and get the corresponding material change.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 4:41 PM

sorry I was refering to the materials part...

Believable3D ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 5:00 PM

What I'm saying is that in DS the materials will get switched automatically when the UVs do. Completely different function than we'll have for Poser.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 5:11 PM

right.... ok... I was mistaken... it's ok..! runs

vilters ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 6:07 PM

The main difference between the 2 companies being.

Poser is a posing and rendering software, and is above all an application.

The Poser team seems to work more on building a good software, and the latest versions are a beauty, putting somewhat less importance on content.
So here we have a very capable software.

Daz was/is a content company, that made a new model, and build their new version of their software around the new model.
So here we have a very capable model/figure.

2 completely different strategies.

How they will travel in time? Only the future can tell.

Daz will not stop V4.
Most buyers are way over their financial point of no return for V4.

Be it in Poser or in DS4, any new figure will have to bring something "radically new" to turn the support market around.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 7:13 PM

tho thinking about it. there's nothing to stop you re-writing an OBJ's UVmap on the fly using Python..

you'd have to have temp files tho... one for the original UVmapping and for the Donor UVmapping and it would mean altering the OBJ file before loading... you'd simply block replace the UVMap in the OBJ txt enmasse...

clumsy... but it would work but I'm sure there's a better method.... thinks

nruddock ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 8:41 PM

Quote - tho thinking about it. there's nothing to stop you re-writing an OBJ's UVmap on the fly using Python..

It is possible to redefine/replace the geometry internally, i.e. without using temp files.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 8:44 PM

see, a better method lol

coldrake ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 10:43 PM

Quote - I can't help but wonder how much DAZ is going to charge me for the cr2 exporter so I can use a not fully functional  "FREE"  Genesis in Poser.  Not saying that they don't have the right to charge for it, but now there's even less incentive for me to try and use Genesis.

The cr2 exporter will come with all versions of DAZ Studio 4, even the free one.

Coldrake

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2011 at 11:47 PM

Quote - I really don't know why the Poser UI is so baffling/unusual/awkward.

The biggest things? The minimum width the parameters/content panels require to be useful without hitting the scrollbars, and the fact that the thumbnails are in squintsville until you select one, and only then does it get big enough to give you an idea of what it is (aside from the name, which half the time means bupkis to me).

The tabs I have no problems with.

I also ditched the camera control panel a very long time ago (as in, back in Poser Pro).

HTH a little.

==

Quote - On the subd thing, poser seems to do quite well with it's smoothing on characters with the smoothing set for 70 degrees.

Good idea... may have to hit that and see what comes of it.

==

Quote - I have heard rumors that it will cost 9 trillion dollars.

snif

...that was beautiful, man...

==

I'm liking the cr2 exporter... if I could export a scaled-down figure, and that cr2 worked decently in Poser... we might just have something wonderful happen after all. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.