Mon, Jun 17, 10:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 16 8:21 pm)

Subject: Extracting poser zips in windows 7

Lucie ( ) posted Sun, 10 January 2010 at 10:59 PM · edited Sun, 05 May 2024 at 6:21 AM

My computer died on me on boxing day so I went and got a new one.  The new one has windows 7 on it (old one had XP)  I've just re-installed poser 7 this evening and I'm trying to unzip the products I purchased a while back (with winzip14) and I keep getting something like this:

*Extracting to "C:Program Files (x86)e frontierPoser 7"
Use Path: yes   Overlay Files: no
Access is denied.
Unable to create directory: C:Program Files (x86)e frontierPoser 7RuntimeGeometriesFKClothes
Unable to process C:Program Files (x86)e frontierPoser 7RuntimeGeometriesFKClothesv4NB-Necklace.obj

Interrupted*

I just tried extracting them on my external drive and it works fine, but I can't extract them in Poser 7 at all.  I've right clicked on the poser 7 folder, checked the properties and the read-only was checked so I've unchecked that but still no go.  If I right click again on Poser 7/properties, the read-only is checked again even though I've just unchecked it...  

Does anyone know how I can unzip my zips directly in Poser with windows 7, please?  I'm sure it must be something really silly, but I can't find what it is at all...  :s

I miss my old xp...

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 10 January 2010 at 11:51 PM

You may need to turn off UAC or right click on the zip program and select run as administrator.

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sun, 10 January 2010 at 11:54 PM

I don't have Win7, but just guessing, the "access denied" message sounds like you may need to temporarily turn off User Account Control.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 4:06 AM

You know it is weird, I just tried to unzip directly into Poser 8 in Win 7 and what it did was create another Runtime in the Poser directory instead of deliverying it into Poser 8.  I normally do it manually anyways, but noticed it just creates another runtime.  Weird. Is it creating a new runtime for you?  It could be the way Win 7 is creating the zip, I will be testing it later today, comparing Win 7 zip with Winzip.

Sharen

Dizzi ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 5:54 AM

As I don't want to repeat what's already in all the threads on UAC:
Just install Poser 7 somewhere else on the C drive, not in the program files folders. Or install all your content to an external runtime - again: not in the program files folders...

Lucie ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 6:48 AM

Thanks guys!  I had no idea how to turn off the User Account Control, I'm an absolute idiot with all that stuff, but when I selected "run as administrator" it worked like a charm.  phewww!  :)

Sharen, it didn't create a new runtime for me, it just wouldn't let me unzip at all.  But now that it works, I just checked and I don't have another runtime in there.  I don't have Poser 8 though, still with Poser 7.

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

Plutom ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 8:16 AM

Morning Lucie,  For future reference

How to turn off User Account Control (UAC)

Click on Start aka MS emblem on bottom tray left side
Click on Control Panel
Click on User Accounts
Click on Turn UAC on or off
(a warning message will instanting appear on the tray warning you that your UAC has been disabled and nag you to death until you click on it for restoration).  Jan

PS you are not an idiot, Vista and Windows 7 do things tha Xp doesn't (I miss Xp sniffle)

ratscloset ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 8:26 AM

Quote - You know it is weird, I just tried to unzip directly into Poser 8 in Win 7 and what it did was create another Runtime in the Poser directory instead of deliverying it into Poser 8.  I normally do it manually anyways, but noticed it just creates another runtime.  Weird. Is it creating a new runtime for you?  It could be the way Win 7 is creating the zip, I will be testing it later today, comparing Win 7 zip with Winzip.

Sharen

You mean you have two Runtime Folders in Poser 8 directory? or do you mean it went to Virtual Store?

NOTE: Default install of Content with Poser 8 is not the Program Files Folder. You really should not link Poser 8's Runtime to the Library and you should not install content there... instead install it to the Poser 8 Content Folder (shared folders or Documents folders)

ADVANCED USERS ONLY>>>>>

If you have Poser 7 (7.0.4.220) you can move the Main runtime out of the Program Files, like Poser Pro or Poser 8. This requires some special steps, but the basics is delete Preferences, build a DefaultPoser.ini with the CONTENT_ROOT_PATH "...." and save it to the Poser7: Runtime: Prefs Folder, then Launch Poser. You know will be linked to that Folder as the Default Poser Runtime.

The tricky part is moving the Content.

Basically you can Copy the Complete Runtime Folder over to the new location. You then can delete the Libraries Folder, Textures Folder and Geometries.. (You need to leave some of the other stuff there in the Runtime, and unless you know exactly what to leave, those are the only ones I would delete.)

If you have Python Scripts installed, you will want to reinstall them (it is easier than trying to correct all the references)

Officially, this is not supported by Tech Support, but I have done it to my Windows 7 and Vista System and I know a few other users that did it upon a New Install (that is the best time to do it)

I would recommend only doing it on a new install, and select minimum Content or no content. Then build the DefaultPoser.ini file and delete the current Preferences. Then you know all the files in the Poser Runtime are the ones needed for the Program and you do not have to worry about what to delete. Then Copy your Poser Content from your old install to the DefaultPoser.ini location.

ratscloset
aka John

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 8:30 AM

(or you can take the easy route and not install poser in program files at all (Sorry John has to be said) it'll run perfectly fine outside of the PF structure and avoid all UAC problems. (I've taken to installing a lot of things outside the PF Structure unless it's required.....) )

ratscloset ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 12:31 PM

You can use this method to install anywhere. The advantage is you can avoid the Build up of Content Files in the Program Folder, no matter where you install. Then if you need to reinstall or uninstall, your Runtimes can stay intact.

ratscloset
aka John

Lucie ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 4:52 PM

Thanks Plutom for the info! 

There are things Win7 does I would rather it didn't, but I suppose I'll get used to it eventually...  I hope anyway, for now, well I've been swearing a lot in the past couple of weeks...  lol

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

Lzy724 ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 8:20 PM

Lucie, I too have w7 and p7, I have had nothing but issues issues.... and more issues. I like a dolt, installed into the program folder, and am just too damn lazy to reinstall. :P

W7 isnt that bad once you turn everything and I mean everything off. LOL

Lucie ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 8:40 PM

If it was just with extracting stuff in Poser 7 it wouldn't be so bad, but I've had a hard time with pretty much everything I've tried to install on that computer and then there's the programs that I used to work with that won't work at all because they haven't been updated/upgraded for win 7 yet.  arggghhh...  ;)

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

Plutom ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 8:40 PM

Quote - Thanks Plutom for the info! 

There are things Win7 does I would rather it didn't, but I suppose I'll get used to it eventually...  I hope anyway, for now, well I've been swearing a lot in the past couple of weeks...  lol

LOL, yepper been known to condemn Vista to hades since last January especially in the famous "you need to contact the administrator to download to this area.  However how about downloading to this area" thing or denied access to this area, contact the administrator oh you are the adminstrator, contact yourself for access, oh don't know how, find out.  Jan

Plutom ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 8:49 PM

Oops Lucie your last thread, try getting programs to work in this version of windows:
Click on Start
Help and Support
Getting your program to work on this version of windows:
Click to open Compatibility Wizard
  Follow instructions

Many programs will run just fine in the compatibility mode--Jan

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.