Wed, May 8, 6:04 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 08 4:09 pm)

Subject: Material Room, Nodes & Shaders - Tutorials and Discussions (Bookmarks - Updated)

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2010 at 10:00 AM

Quote - Now that Rendo has a wiki, we could move these links to an article there and then it is something that can be edited and kept up to date.

Yeppers! It's in my plan to do that.  Just been busy and then sick so I haven't had a chance. I will though.

I have way more bookmarks and bookmark threads than this one.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 5:52 PM

Quote - Updating

Getting Rid of Glowing Iris Circles

this is a dead link, is there any chance you know where it was? LOL

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 6:01 PM

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2733625

I simply typed "Glowing circle around iris" in the Rendo search engine and its the first match.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 6:02 PM

I actually found it right after I sent the note. sorry for the trouble. she had corrected it down a dozen or so replies.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 6:11 PM

We need the Wiki page to replace this thread.

I think we should work backwards, since some of the earliest posts have been superceded, as you found out.

All we need to do is create the page. Is there one yet? If not, I'll create it.

Then every day, somebody should pick a link and add it.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 6:14 PM

That is a good idea. BTW when is your book due out?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 6:18 PM

I don't know when the book will be done. I estimate I have another thousand pages to write. Then I have to edit it and probably make it into two books, or maybe three. There is too much to talk about. I also have no idea if printing a book with 2000 pictures means nobody can afford it.

Anway - there is a wiki page for the Poser Material Room here:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/rrwiki/index.php/Poser_Material_Room

It was started with the intentioin of listing all the nodes, but I think that's going to be a mistake. Just covering the basics of what the nodes do and how to use them is easily over 50 pages.

Anyway, I'm going to make a sub-page from that for Poser Shader Threads, under Further Reading. Then we can just start moving links into it from here. We can sort it later.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 6:20 PM

Oh how tedious. Copy and paste doesn't work - only the words arrive, not the links. My God, it will take forever.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 6:23 PM

Crap - why is Wiki using yet another markup language, totally different from HTML. How tedious.

Now I see why nothing has been written for the most part.

OK here's my opinion, and please don't try to change it.

WIKI editor SUCKS.

It should accept pasting of HTML and do the right thing. Somebody is a mighty lazy programmer.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 6:24 PM

Great - so because I don't know WIKI markup, I click the link for help on editing. Nothing.

WIKI Sucks SQUARED!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 6:33 PM

I did the first five.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 6:43 PM

I'm using the links from page 5 of this thread. Some of the links are sectioned by where they are, which is not useful. But we should not re-order them until all have made it across. Otherwise it will be very hard to correlate them with the links on page 5.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 7:21 PM · edited Tue, 23 March 2010 at 7:23 PM

well, it's not exactly lazy programming.  the wiki system they're using is the most popular wiki system out there by far, and it was made years and years ago when they decided the best way to deal with security and regular users (not people who knew how to hand code)  was to use pseudo-code. javascript wasn't as advanced as a language, i think, and i know the practice of clean DOM scripting wasn't in place.  unless i'm remembering wrong, there were no rich HTML editors for textareas yet.   iirc, the most i saw at the time in terms of javascript and forms was a little bit of input validation.  so pseudo code enabled people to add HTML properties without having to know HTML.  phpBB uses pseudo code, too, so much rich editing online was done that that way.

things have changed and advanced, and there are both free and commercial JS modules that can duplicate a full HTML editor.  but there's a huge community around that wiki system now.  it's the backend  for the entire Wiki Media line, for instance.  almost everyone who uses wikis at all are used to using this system.  so even if most of the Web is doing something different, most of the people on it who post to wikis are still used to this system and its pseudo code.

that said, my guess is it's possible to implement some JS rich HTML editing on the client-side and keep the backend mostly the same.  but it would be a lot of trouble to work against usability norms, which is generally a bad idea and has its major drawbacks in the best of situations.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 7:45 PM

I found a tool to do the conversion here:

http://toolserver.org/~diberri/cgi-bin/html2wiki/index.cgi

My point was the WIKI editor should have a button to paste HTML and convert it. My opinion stands. If it's done already on that page it could be done in the WIKI editor.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 7:47 PM

Anyway I did the bulk of the conversion from the big post on page 5. It's here:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/rrwiki/index.php/Poser_Shader_Threads

Assuming the big post on page 5 was up to date, we can re-organize it. But I'll let it settle and get tested a bit first. Then after sorting it, we can add the individual posts that were added besides those.

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 8:11 PM

Acadia was looking for your discussion of skin shaders in another thread, is that in the wiki as well?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 8:27 PM

No. I hate that thread. But it's better than the Daz3D "beautiful skin" thread.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 29 March 2010 at 4:58 PM

Quote - Anyway I did the bulk of the conversion from the big post on page 5. It's here:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/rrwiki/index.php/Poser_Shader_Threads

Assuming the big post on page 5 was up to date, we can re-organize it. But I'll let it settle and get tested a bit first. Then after sorting it, we can add the individual posts that were added besides those.

You're a gem!

It took so long to put the original up, and then to update it with this one, only to have RDNA go and redo their whole site and break all of the links.  I just lost steam and really wasn't up to resorting and making yet another thread.
Thanks for putting it all on that Wiki site. 

Once you are done, I'll just add new links to that and not bother with this thread anymore.

I have a whole slew more links to add, just haven't felt up to it though.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 17 May 2010 at 12:57 PM

upsy

Haarspalter ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 9:48 AM

Both first links are dead

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 2:53 PM

Quote - Both first links are dead

Work your way backwards through the thread as the links have been updated (due to site changes here and elsewhere) several times.
The wiki page should have the most up to date links.

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2010 at 10:52 AM

Leather and Suede

This thread includes a download for an .mt5 file as well as a matmatic script.

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2010 at 7:19 PM

Ok, I started to update the wiki page. I"ve managed to incorporate the 1st 2 pages of this thread with the updates.  I should have the rest done by the end of the weekend.

After that I'm going to work on the wiki page and try and sort it out better and update any dead links.

After that I'm going to create other wiki pages with other bookmarked threads that I have created for things like lighting, cloth room etc.

Dracoraven ( ) posted Sat, 14 August 2010 at 2:37 PM

Most excellent! Many thanks !

Eric Peacock
dracoselene@gmail.com

Blue Dragon Creations

<a href="http://zazzle.com/brianadragon
">My Stuff at Zazzle.com

whipporwill ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2010 at 10:01 PM

awesome, ty acadia!!

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2010 at 3:10 PM · edited Sat, 16 October 2010 at 3:13 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/rrwiki/index.php/Poser_Shader_Threads

Resurrecting from the archives.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 18 November 2010 at 10:30 AM

Super duper Stickie.  Thanks so much for creating it.

a suggested link for one of my favorite how-to's 

'Create Perspective UVs' on the group palette

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3662790

😄  from day when bagginsbill had chicken pot pie for lunch.**

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 05 January 2011 at 4:58 PM

Moving this up for the time being. I'm still working on fixing the links and moving everything over to Wiki.

LilyHawk ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 6:15 PM

Thanks for all your hard work in organizing all this :-)

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 18 March 2011 at 8:42 PM

Time to revivify the stickiness of this thread.

Kalypso ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2011 at 3:25 PM
Site Admin

What he said.

joequick ( ) posted Sun, 05 June 2011 at 10:06 PM

any thoughts on achieving a sculpty/clay kinda look? something kinda wallace and grommity?

@Daz3d
@ShareCG

joequick ( ) posted Mon, 06 June 2011 at 2:45 AM

Quote - any thoughts on achieving a sculpty/clay kinda look? something kinda wallace and grommity?

I think I got it, http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=2945860#2945860

@Daz3d
@ShareCG

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2011 at 6:14 PM

Attached Link: http://www.runtimedna.com/60-Off-One-Day-Sale/

advanced material manager is on sale for one day only today.

It's one of the most useful python scripts I ever got because i really hate changing materials one by one.

Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

wolfmanjim ( ) posted Thu, 21 July 2011 at 12:54 PM

I changed the texture jpg on a floor and now want to make tiles out of the texture I have used.  How do I do that?   I can't seem to attach an image map node to the Poser SUrface.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 21 July 2011 at 1:18 PM · edited Thu, 21 July 2011 at 1:18 PM

Quote - I changed the texture jpg on a floor and now want to make tiles out of the texture I have used.  How do I do that?   I can't seem to attach an image map node to the Poser SUrface.

Start a thread - or two. That seems to be two different questions or I totally don't understand what you mean by "I can't seem to attach an image map node to the Poser Surface".

This thread is supposed to be links to threads, not a conversation.

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 04 September 2011 at 4:13 PM

upsy

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 06 October 2011 at 5:47 PM

Up

DarksealStudios ( ) posted Sun, 23 October 2011 at 10:26 AM

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/rrwiki/index.php/Poser_Shader_Threads It's dead for me...

My Store   My Gallery    Contact

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 23 October 2011 at 10:34 AM

Rendo management killed the wiki. The senseless destruction of this feature is cause for great concern, IMO.

DarksealStudios ( ) posted Sun, 23 October 2011 at 7:03 PM

In fact, every link that sounded halfway interesting to me is dead.... Yes BB, it is disturbing to find out that something like this has been done voluntarily. If anyone knows "why" I'd like to know, but more importantly, I'd like to know if there are plans to reroute this information to somewhere else!?

My Store   My Gallery    Contact

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 24 October 2011 at 6:53 AM

Quote - In fact, every link that sounded halfway interesting to me is dead.... Yes BB, it is disturbing to find out that something like this has been done voluntarily. If anyone knows "why" I'd like to know, but more importantly, I'd like to know if there are plans to reroute this information to somewhere else!?

Scroll down the thread.  The links have been updated....or rather most of them anyway.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 19 November 2011 at 2:06 PM

Upsy

Kalypso ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 10:33 PM
Site Admin

bugatti ( ) posted Wed, 15 February 2012 at 3:55 AM

file_478552.png

Please, I am trying to get a texture based on a jpg (an ivy, a texture and a corresponding transparency map) applied to a curved surface, but no way, it always splits the image on single polygons. Is there a way to achieve continuity?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 15 February 2012 at 4:25 AM

Start a new thread for your question. This thread is for listing links to useful threads, not for actually answering questions. When you start the thread, explain what you know about UV mapping and what you did for this prop.

bugatti ( ) posted Wed, 15 February 2012 at 7:44 AM

Did that. How do I remove it from here now?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 15 February 2012 at 9:16 AM

We cannot remove postings after 15 minutes. That is why it is so important not to clutter the forum. We can't clean it up.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2012 at 8:37 AM

this thread was about blending skin and tattoos with nodes.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2716576

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

mysticeagle ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2012 at 6:23 AM

sorry guys, but most of the rdna links are dead, for the last two weeks they've been saying we are moving to our new home, anyone know when they might resurface?

OS: Windows7 64-bit Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)  6GB Ram
Poser: Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1 ...Poser 8.........Poser5 on a bad day........
Daz Studio Pro 4.5  64bit

Carrara beta 8.5

Modelling: Silo/Hexagon/Groboto V3
Image Editing: PSP V9/Irfanview
Movie Editing. Cyberlink power director/Windows live movie maker

"I live in an unfinished , poorly lit box, but we call it home"

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.