Sat, Jun 1, 5:25 AM CDT

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 27 10:13 pm)

Subject: Sneak Peek at GridModeler™

chippwalters ( ) posted Mon, 03 December 2007 at 6:50 PM

Hi VI_Knight,

Thanks for your comments on GridModeler. The atmosphere I use is an HDRI of my own creation, which I tend to use more and more for basic modeling...as it shows surfaces well.

I plan on releasing it in an HDRI atmosphere pack soon-- along with some others. I also want to provide a 'system' for establishing correct atmosphere settings-- but it all takes time.

best,
Chipp

VI_Knight ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2007 at 7:41 AM · edited Wed, 19 December 2007 at 7:52 AM

file_395832.jpg

Thank you,  I'll be looking out for it.  I do have 2 other questions though.  

1.  I have been trying find a way to get the following to work with hyper texture.  Is it possible using the grid modeller to get the effect in this image on the corners of this building?  I am not sure if i need to use the hypertexture or simple texture.  Each block corner edge has the brick protrusion and i was trying to get this effect and i was not fully successful.  Especially with getting it on 2 or all four corners of the cube.  Any help on this?

http://www.cornucopia3d.com/download/store/PictureFiles/Objects/Architecture/Houses%20&%20Cottages/Historical/Victorian_House_2_3_0_img.jpg

2.  is it possible to have 2 seperate transparencies on one object.  what i mean is, can i use a hyper texture to shape a cube a certain way lets say from the top and then have another texture create the windows all around it from the sides.  for instance using the image below for the top to shape the over all look of the building then adding lets say, your door and window texture from grid modeller for the sides?

Mantrastic ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2007 at 7:54 AM

Thats some awesome stuff, I didnt know there are stuff like that for Vue :O

chippwalters ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2007 at 3:04 PM

Quote - 1.  I have been trying find a way to get the following to work with hyper texture.  Is it possible using the grid modeller to get the effect in this image on the corners of this building?  I am not sure if i need to use the hypertexture or simple texture.  Each block corner edge has the brick protrusion and i was trying to get this effect and i was not fully successful.  Especially with getting it on 2 or all four corners of the cube.  Any help on this?

I really can't tell what you're after here. Can you explain it more?

Quote - 2.  is it possible to have 2 seperate transparencies on one object.  what i mean is, can i use a hyper texture to shape a cube a certain way lets say from the top and then have another texture create the windows all around it from the sides.  for instance using the image below for the top to shape the over all look of the building then adding lets say, your door and window texture from grid modeller for the sides?

You can't do this with regular transparency maps, as overlaying one on top of the other only provides transparency down to the next layer:

I just did a test trying to apply one transparency map over a hypertexture, and it sorta works, but there are serious rendering artifacts, so I wouldn't suggest doing it.

VI_Knight ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2007 at 6:17 PM

file_395848.jpg

Thanks Chipp.  could you post the steps that you did to get those 2 results and i can play around with them  a little more to see what i get.

As for the first question let me see if i can make it clearer for you.

the top part of the image is what i am going for.  the corner effect but i want it on all 4 corners.  I am using the settings in the 2nd part of the image which is mapping to only 1 edge of a cube.  in order to make it appear on all sides i have to create about 8 of those to get them ovn each side.  I tried having it mapped where the trans texture i was using was maped to both sides (3rd image) but when i resized the cube it made it not look right.  Too much stretching.  My question is can i get that effect with the Grid modeler and if yes then how can i get it done properly.

chippwalters ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2007 at 6:25 PM

Quote - Thanks Chipp.  could you post the steps that you did to get those 2 results and i can play around with them  a little more to see what i get.

The first image is just two different layers each with it's own transparency setting. The bottom image is the GridModeler Front_Hypertexture_Parametric object with a transparency map added to the base material layer. But, as I said, neither will do what you want.

Quote - the top part of the image is what i am going for.  the corner effect but i want it on all 4 corners.  I am using the settings in the 2nd part of the image which is mapping to only 1 edge of a cube.  in order to make it appear on all sides i have to create about 8 of those to get them ovn each side.  I tried having it mapped where the trans texture i was using was maped to both sides (3rd image) but when i resized the cube it made it not look right.  Too much stretching.  My question is can i get that effect with the Grid modeler and if yes then how can i get it done properly.

Off the top of my head, I can't easily see how to do this. Perhaps you could try setting the mapping mode to either faces or cylindrical.

VI_Knight ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2007 at 10:25 AM

ok that is what i thought.  i had tried the other mapping modes already and none of them worked.  I guess i will just have to do it the hard way.  Thanks a lot for your help.  

I also notice that the hyper textures do not work properly with boolean objects.  when i create say for instance using again the Door and window and i want to hollow out the square using a boolean operation, the texture no longer works.  that's a bummer.  Totally not the fault of your program obviously.

chippwalters ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2007 at 1:25 PM

Did you try baking the boolean object to polygons? That might help with the hypertexture problem.

VI_Knight ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2007 at 2:22 PM

Yes i did that after i wrote the previous post and it worked fine.  i weill have eto do some more testing on trying to get multiple transparencies on one object though :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.