Sun, Jun 2, 6:18 AM CDT

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 02 4:32 am)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the Marketplace Wishing Well Forum, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: What are you working on thread

airflamesred ( ) posted Mon, 12 December 2011 at 3:06 PM

Nice idea - I like

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 04 March 2012 at 6:43 AM

Modeled a TV frame for my video that needed to look like an old TV.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeJkslroROM

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Boofy ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2012 at 7:23 AM

file_479583.png

> Quote - Hey ther jumpstart what software are you using. Teyon I like yoru work but my computer right now is not up to that task. Really had soem problems with hexagon in that department. I need a more mighty vid card so I work with what I have. > > Well here is the dreaded goth punk rocker dude got some textures on him. Guitar is ok I think I woud like to make a real guitar sometime using a couple drawings of an SG.

Hiya, those models are great, (as usual) I didnt know you used Hexagon as well...multi-3d-talented or what??? I just got Hexagon2 for free at daz3d and have used it to design a dvd storage cabinet with a crystal display on top and shelved area for LPs that we want to get made for our real life lounge room. I liked Hex cause I could put the descriptions and dimensions in 3d text to show the cabinet maker when we find one. So here is my WIP, I hope to show you the 'live' model at sometime in the future. (ps my hubby thought it was so cool to have a 3d pic to show the cabinet maker...hehe)

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2012 at 10:40 PM

file_479596.jpg

Adding a German flying wing to my scene.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2012 at 3:46 PM

file_480100.jpg

My first try with Sculptris so far.  Greys should be easy to make with it.

Teyon ( ) posted Fri, 06 April 2012 at 5:05 PM

file_480182.jpg

Tauntaun sculpting

Teyon ( ) posted Fri, 06 April 2012 at 10:48 PM · edited Fri, 06 April 2012 at 10:48 PM

file_480190.jpg

minor update

Boofy ( ) posted Sat, 07 April 2012 at 5:28 AM

file_480206.jpg

hey Shawn, that Sculptris is a really cool program, I had a play around in it...I think I went a bit overboard but I had heaps of fun, thanks for introducing it to me here. This is a WIP of an old dinosour/dragon/nasty beastie...if it loads, my pc is playing up.

Teyon ( ) posted Sat, 07 April 2012 at 9:48 AM

file_480213.jpg

another update.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 07 April 2012 at 10:09 AM · edited Sat, 07 April 2012 at 10:10 AM

Quote - This is a WIP of an old dinosour/dragon/nasty beastie...if it loads, my pc is playing up.

If your polycount seems too high after sculpting, click the "Reduce Selected" button a couple times.

Boofy ( ) posted Sat, 07 April 2012 at 7:08 PM

Wow that looks great Teyon!! Did make that mesh from one sphere? Or do you add spheres for each section?

Thanks for the tip there Shawn.I am still a newbie at all this stuff:blink:

Teyon ( ) posted Sat, 07 April 2012 at 7:27 PM

Thanks! A series of tubes and spheres added as I went. I find it faster than trying to pull everything out of the sphere.

Boofy ( ) posted Sat, 07 April 2012 at 10:03 PM

Thanks Teyon, that is a great help, this sculptries prog only as spheres but I guess a ceries of them will do the same job.

Are you having as much fun as I am with this prog Shawn? That head of yours looks lovely!!

I have done a simpler dragon. It is from a little pewter statue my mum got me. He is the cheekyest fellow. Big goofy grin, smily face badge and giving the world "the bird". I think it is a cleaner mesh than the last one :lol:!

Boofy ( ) posted Sat, 07 April 2012 at 10:07 PM

file_480239.png

:cursing: stupid computer!!!!

trying to load pic again, sorry!

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 07 April 2012 at 10:14 PM

The alien head I did in maybe 20 minutes of me using Sculptris for the first time.  The GUI is much simpler than 3D-Coat's.  And is way far simpler than ZBrush's.  I'm building the alien's uniform in Hexagon.  Then I will go back into Sculptris to work on the eyelids.  I'm going to need this thing to blink.  The eyes will just be spheres I guess.

It doesn't need too much detail, since I'm going to use heavy amounts of blur and film aging before posting on YouTube, so it looks like all the other real UFO footage already found there.  :)

Boofy ( ) posted Sun, 08 April 2012 at 12:20 AM

Sounds cool Shawn! How do you send it to Hex? Do I need any particular way of setting it up in Hex or does it just go through?( I have just snaffled that prog too...lol. I hoped to be able to switch between them.)

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 08 April 2012 at 9:08 AM

Just export as OBJ from Sculptris.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Thu, 17 May 2012 at 7:59 AM

file_481423.jpg

A quick start on a modern home and swimming pool.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2012 at 6:13 AM · edited Fri, 18 May 2012 at 6:13 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_481450.jpg

Update.  Added a concrete yard so far.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 12 August 2012 at 7:50 AM

file_485057.jpg

Modeling preview of an Ayleid ruin (from Oblivion).

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 2:55 AM

file_485089.jpg

An update.  Not sure if I should make it a ruin or have it in better shape?

airflamesred ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 4:52 PM

Well ruins are far more interesting to look at and the topology way more interesting, so the latter for  me.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 1:03 AM

After trying some fake texturing of blocks using brick-like bumps and normal maps, I decided to just model the blocks.  Once it's built from blocks, I can ruin it some by removing/cracking blocks.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2012 at 5:59 AM

file_486019.jpg

My second try at terraforming Mars.  The first attempt didn't look like a planet at all. 

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2012 at 5:27 AM
ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 08 September 2012 at 1:56 AM

file_486228.jpg

Great modeling, Teyon.  I'm nearly done with my Mars background to use for my UFO shots.

722 ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2013 at 5:05 PM

file_499206.jpg

some fun in hex  wip of helment im working on may finish suite  don't know how long that will take

SinnerSaint ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2013 at 8:37 PM

Quote - some fun in hex  wip of helment im working on may finish suite  don't know how long that will take

Didn't know there was another one of these threads in this forum.  Some nice work here dating back to 2006.  I see this one is sticky now.  Do we have a moderator?

Anyway, the helmet looks cool.  Got wires?

EricofSD ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2013 at 12:41 AM

file_500065.jpg

Trying to learn 3dsMax. 

SinnerSaint ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2013 at 9:44 AM

Quote - Trying to learn 3dsMax. 

Good looking ship.  I like the fantasy meets reality appeal of it.

I used Max for several years before our studio switched to C4D.  Max is a great application for blocking out models quickly... If your stomach is strong enough to deal with one of the most confusing UI configurations of all time.  Only package worse is Zbrush, and possibly Blender.  I do miss the modfier stack now and again.  Once you start using the stack to model stuff, it's like weaning off the tit to switch back to a linear workflow again.

I'm a much happier camper now, because I hated Autodesks barbaric licensing.

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2013 at 2:03 AM

file_500089.png

Toolbag 1 render. Textured in ZBrush and DDO. 

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2013 at 3:39 AM

file_500092.png

Another Toolbag 1 render. 

SinnerSaint ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2013 at 9:34 PM

Nice models.  The bag is most excellent, except I would suggest replacing the rope with a leather strap.  It looks like braided nylon, which wouldn't be consistant with the time period.  Also, I think the material on the blade in the second one looks a little plastic, almost toy-like, and it's too thick at the edge. The textures are amazing overall though.  I have to comment on one other thing.  It seems like everyone is adding that bluish tint and chromatic aberration to their renders these days.  I dont' think it adds anything to the realism.  In fact, it often distracts from the detail.  I realize it's an artistic preference, but it jsut seems to be overused anymore.  Anyway, not a crit to you in particular, but seeing your renders, as good as they are, just reminded me of that pet peeve.

Monsee ( ) posted Thu, 02 January 2014 at 2:19 PM

file_500613.jpg

Sci-Fi gas station, from a [Daniel Vijoi concept](http://danielvijoi.deviantart.com/art/sci-fi-building-288884894), on deviant art.

wip Modeled in Wings3D

Teyon ( ) posted Fri, 03 January 2014 at 12:02 PM

file_500634.jpg

Made this head.

Teyon ( ) posted Fri, 03 January 2014 at 12:03 PM

file_500635.jpg

And decided to make a body to go with it. Though I will probably be changing the musculature and arm positions.

Cybermonk ( ) posted Mon, 06 January 2014 at 9:24 AM

@monsee You did a great job translating the sketch to 3D.

@Teyon dude you are the Yoda of Organic modeling, the "Master of Monsters". I rember when you were creating awesome organic stuff in Rhino. That is nine kinds of hard. I like the cleaver weapon too. Nice worn look  to it. I disagree with Sinnersaints assesment about the edge thicknes. This is a cleaving weapon. Like an axe you don't want an edge so thin that it will turn the first time you hit something with it.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination".

Albert Einstein

SinnerSaint ( ) posted Mon, 06 January 2014 at 11:56 AM

Quote - I disagree with Sinnersaints assesment about the edge thicknes. This is a cleaving weapon. Like an axe you don't want an edge so thin that it will turn the first time you hit something with it.

Fair enough, mate.  I still think if the material of the blade contained a texture to show some sharpening on the edge, it would help out greatly.  Example:

battle axe

I think the model is amazing, but for the material.

Cybermonk ( ) posted Mon, 06 January 2014 at 3:03 PM

Yeah I see what ya mean. The edge would look better with a little polish to it. I really like all the nicks and dings. Gives the thing character.

Albert Einstein

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 07 January 2014 at 4:50 AM

Hey, thanks. Well, it's meant to be subdivided - sadly, my rinky-dink video card is directX 10, not direct x11, so it didn't support Marmoset Toolbag's subdivision feature or it'd look thinner at the edge. That said, the material was one of my first DDO attempts - I was more interested in the glow though than the texture proper. 

LuxXeon ( ) posted Mon, 20 January 2014 at 4:59 PM

file_501174.jpg

Highly detailed vanity set, which will include drawers that open, and a seat.  Just blocking out the shape, and some of the details here.  Got the legs figured out, next is the ornate edge detailing of the desk portion.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations
Instagram: @luxxeon3d
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/luxxeon

LuxXeon ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2014 at 11:34 AM

file_501195.jpg

In addition to the vanity set, I'm also bouncing back and forth to another project; a "mystic amulet", to compliment my celtic amulet model I released as a freebie a week ago.

This model uses algebraic math formula to script the shape of the spline torus, which is then converted to geometry.  It's almost ready for unwrapping, and texturing.  The cylinder in the center will hold either high resolution mapping details, or possibly further geometry to create accent design (diamonds, emeralds, or something similar).

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations

Cybermonk ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2014 at 5:05 PM

Nice work on both LuxXeon.That amulet is especially wicked looking. I can just see that around a wizards neck clowing with  arcain power. You use Studio Max right? Was the script run in Studio Max or in a stand alone program?

Albert Einstein

SinnerSaint ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2014 at 7:15 PM

Luxxeon, the vanity table looks good so far, but it's still early to compliment it.  Most of the shapes and topo there are very basic.  Not criticizing your skill, it's just that at such an early stage, there's not much there to comment on.

The amulet, on the other hand, is very interesting.  I've been working a lot lately with Mograph in C4D to create various abstract and math-based geometry animations, and also models. It's possible, with Mograph functions, to come up with some really crazy designs.  The curves on your amulet appear to be created as one connected (solid) object, which I'm extremely interested in.  That would be a very diffucult model to create with standard polygon modelling.  As Cybermonk alluded to, I'd like to know more about the process you used for that model.

LuxXeon ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2014 at 1:49 AM

file_501226.jpg

Thanks guys.  This is what I came up with as a possible final design for the amulet.

The knot object itself was created directly inside 3dsmax, with the assistance of a Maxscript that uses algebraic formulas and parameter input.  The results are output as geometry, and can then be modified with standard polygon tools, or modifiers.  I created the knot with the script first, but also added further modification with traditional poly tools.

The new inset circular piece was generated from a hemisphere, and is close to the design I'm looking for.  I was considering using maps for the additional details, but the more I can do geometrically, I think, the better.  Thinking about it yet again, I might change that middle piece at the last minute, but for now I'm somewhat satisfied with it.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations

LuxXeon ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2014 at 12:15 PM · edited Wed, 22 January 2014 at 12:16 PM

file_501232.jpg

I'm considering replacing the center piece with this design I just sketched out from splines.  I drew the curve with splines, made several rotational copies around the center axis, then started bridging them together.  I like this look, but wondering if it will work as the center of the amulet. I'll use some smoothing, and thicken it some more, but I think it will add an interesting focal point to the piece.  Any and all opinions on that are appreciated.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations

airflamesred ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2014 at 1:58 PM

Prefering the hemisphere. It feels like it is holding the whole peice together.

Maybe incorporate the swirls (boolean style) onto the hemisphere?

LuxXeon ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2014 at 4:10 PM

file_501233.jpg

> Quote - Prefering the hemisphere. It feels like it is holding the whole peice together. Maybe incorporate the swirls (boolean style) onto the hemisphere?

Thanks, Mark.  Yes, I was thinking the same.  Decided to add that second swirl design to the hemisphere, as a subobject.  This is probably the final revision now; only a few edges left to bevel, then I'll look to optimize edge loops if I can, without sacrificing the profile shape, and finally I'll begin unwrapping.  There won't be any gemstones on this one; just one big hunk of metal.  Some of the components will have unique material ID's, so they can contain different materials (silver/gold) if need be.

I'm already thinking of what surfaces might look best for this.  Not sure if I want it to be highly polished and new looking, or if I want it to have a certain patina.  I'm thinking high detail patina and wear will be more interesting.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations

SinnerSaint ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2014 at 9:47 PM

That last one is way cool.  I think the texturing on that model will make or break it though.  If you think about the use for that kind of pendant, it's not something someone would use as a common fashion accessory for any old character.  It's going to be an item someone will use on a wizard, or fantasy creature.  If you texture that thing as detailed as you modelled it, which I'm sure you will, it could end up being a great hero object, around which entire storylines could be played out.  If you just give it any old polished metal shader and leave it at that, then few people will have the foresight to see the potential in it, and it's not likely to be noticed.  That's assuming you're making it into a product.  I think the very center of it looks like some kind of weird eyeball.  I'll be interested to see what you come up with for that object.

It looks heavy on the polygons, but I don't see much room for cleanup there either, unless you're baking out the high res to normal maps.  Looks like just about every edge in that shape is being used to create the curvature.  If you reduce the poly count, I'd start by removing all backfaces that are hidden, check for coplanar faces and remove those (I'll bet you have a few in the middle there).  Looks like all the latitude lines on the hemisphere are beveled.  You can save a whole lot of polygons there, by baking all that detail out to a normal or displacement maps, and using a low poly proxy instead.

Interesting model.

LuxXeon ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2014 at 4:02 PM

file_501300.jpg

Uploading this one to freestuff soon.  Modeled in 3dsmax, rendered in Octane.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.