Sun, Jun 2, 7:00 AM CDT

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 02 4:32 am)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the Marketplace Wishing Well Forum, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: What are you working on thread

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 4:15 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_372036.jpg

another view

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Teyon ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 10:52 AM · edited Sun, 18 March 2007 at 11:08 AM

file_372097.jpg

Cool Holster.  This is what I'm working on at the moment...

patorak ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 12:15 PM

file_372100.jpg

Great holster Conniekat8.  Teyon looks great. Have you rigged it?  Here's my latest,  it's an exclusive for a client.  I still have to do the unzip morph and texture,  then it will be finished.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 2:05 AM

Quote - Here's my latest,  it's an exclusive for a client. 

Modeled from Jesse?  Nice.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

patorak ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 7:22 PM

Yep. Thanks.   Jessi was tough to clothe,  she isn't symmetrical.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 10:16 PM

file_372253.jpg

Patorak, that's very slick! I hear ya on non-symetrical... I'm making stuff for GND at the moment... same thing, she's not symmetrical. My model is all bumpy! ...dreading fixing that... (the pic is nothing to write home about, but what the heck, in few months I'll look at it and think, I did thaat? Yuck!)

patorak ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 10:38 PM

Hi Conniekat8,

I think your top is looking good.  Smooth it once at 2.0 strength and 3 iterations,  refit,  then detail.  Can't wait to see the final.  BTW to deal with Jessi's asymetry I ended up building the suit poly by poly.

Cheers,

Patorak

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 11:01 PM

Thanks Patorak :) that was a quick response!
Yeah, that's what I did with the top, sort of, poly by poly. Outlined a few major things by splines, then worked it square by square. 
refitting... hmmm, good idea... see if I can pull it off in hexagon...   I'm starting to really like hexagon. On my computer it actually crashes less then Max or Z-brush.
What are you modeling in?

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 11:03 PM

Attached Link: Fantasy City Thread

More architecture, that is my main interest. These are going to, at some point, be assembled into a single set. I'm making the buildings seperately, using the same scaling measurements.

I already uploaded them to another forum and don't want to upload again (I'm on dialup).

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

patorak ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 11:16 PM

Lightwave.  I've got to give Hex a try.

dvlenk6,  I'm having trouble getting to your site.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 11:27 PM

Sorry.
It isn't my site, it's a forum.
I have a terrible time uploading anything here, usually times out and doesn't complete the upload. That just happened when I tried to upload them; which is why I posted the link instead.
I don't know what else I could do...

Digital_Assassin ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 8:24 AM

An m1a2 for a game modification:

patorak ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 8:01 PM

*Quote-An m1a2 for a game modification

Great job!

Teyon ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 11:52 PM

file_372635.jpg

Cool work!

Here's my lame update...

pauljs75 ( ) posted Fri, 23 March 2007 at 7:23 PM

What is that? :lol: Anyhow it looks pretty cool...

Here's what I've been up to with the Wings3D...

Aircraft:
F-18

Character modeling...
Head
Body
Hand

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Dann-O ( ) posted Fri, 23 March 2007 at 8:26 PM

file_372711.JPG

Well have been getting into doing more toonish stuff which I like but will not get any veiws here on rosity so this is my snowboy for a challenge over at Subdivisionmodeling. Have some of my own characters I am working on too. After thsi challenge is over I will be workign on my duck and his friends too.

The low poly tank looks good I think with good textures will be an excellent model. What kidn of poly count is it. Tanks really suck up the polies with the tracks and the wheels.
 Paulis good to see you here I am following what you are doing in the wings gallery.
Teyon good to see you are still doing soem great stuff. I think I need a bit of backstory an your latest.
dvlenk6 I did not see the stuff there in the thread.
Are you guys extracting polygons to make the clothing? Just curious what are you doing?

The wit of a misplaced ex-patriot.
I cheated on my metaphysics exam by looking into the soul of the person next to me.

Teyon ( ) posted Fri, 23 March 2007 at 10:26 PM

Very cool work gang. Love the toon vibe in both your stuff...and you do machines!  Lord what I wouldn't give to be able to do a machine....man that came out wrong. Anyway, uhm that...thing is something I came up with on the train one weekend. Drew it in my sketch book and decided to model it. It's some type of canine alien thing but its brain is exposed and its back has a very scale like appearance to it. Dunno. I was bored.

zonkerman ( ) posted Sat, 24 March 2007 at 1:25 AM

file_372736.jpg

This is my second spaceship I've modelled with C4D R10.  I"m not done with it yet.  The environment is vue.  The first space ship is at:

http://www.robertmarquez.com/frozenplanetpatrol.shtml

Which is still on display this week only at the SciFi Channel SciFi Weekly website at:

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Sat, 24 March 2007 at 4:29 AM

I didn't think you had to be registered to view the Blackraven3d Forum, but maybe you do. I'll have to ask about that.
I don't want to hog up a lot of space here in this thread, so I just uploaded two pictures to my webspace and hotlinked to them.

The whole purpose is to make an entire town. It is derived from a fantasy (AD&D) game. The fantasy culture is based on Athens, Greece during or about the time of Solon.

I'd like to keep the poly count under 2 million, if I can. There are 5 major buildings (a temple, a theatre, a forum, a treasury/vault, and a mage's guild), and then a slew of small, low poly buildings (warehouses, homes, etc.). It is a coastal town, so there will need to be wharfs or docks, ships. I have some really low poly people (under 3,000) that I can dump into the scene in pretty large numbers, expecially if I instance them around. The terrain(s) will eat up a fair number, not sure how many polys that will take. I'll probably need a few high poly people as well, something in the 50,000 poly range.

The interior of the temple. The exterior is strictly Doric Order. 112,900 polys altogether.

Temple Interior

The theatre. That picture has no subdivisions on it, so it's only 12,500 polys and should be good for a far away shot. If it ends closer to the camera, I'll subdivide it. That would make it...50,000? or so.
An outdoor theatre

The textures for these are kind of phony :). I have some work to do in that area as well. I'll be able to re-use most of the buildings from time to time. They'll just go right into the building library after I use them here.

patorak ( ) posted Sat, 24 March 2007 at 7:15 AM

Hi dvlenk 6,

Excellent work!

Digital_Assassin ( ) posted Sat, 24 March 2007 at 10:00 AM

WOW nice man, id just try lowereing the specular on the second one seems a little bright

zonkerman ( ) posted Sun, 25 March 2007 at 8:48 PM

file_372952.jpg

This ship is now done, created in Cinema 4D.  It was imported into Vue Infinite 6 where the rest of the scene was created and rendered.  You can see a larger picture of it in my gallery at:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/member.php

The name of the image is Midnight Visitor.

patorak ( ) posted Sun, 25 March 2007 at 9:06 PM

Great job!

jestmart ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 9:37 PM · edited Mon, 26 March 2007 at 9:41 PM

file_373081.jpg

Well  I guess it's time I posted something.  I've answered peoples questions in a few of the other forum so I should give everyone a chance to see if my opion is worth listening to.

I started this about three times now and thinking of trying another approach using Blender's new retopo function.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 8:51 PM

file_373181.jpg

Hi gang, beautiful work since the last time I peeked in!!!!!!!!! What talent and workmanship we have in here!

Here's some progress on the Tie Top I've been working on: 

DivineRAiN ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 5:44 AM

really kewl stuff... 
dvlenk, I like the textures, especially in the first render.  The modeling is very good. 
Dann, nice job.. I saw your renders on the other site, very cute.  I started the snow kid a couple days ago and like you, I opted for the cartoonish bigger eyes too... but I don't know if I'll have time to finish.  So far all I've done is the head with the hat, and the face is still very basic.  Did you model him from one cube, or from a few?

well here's my little update after a lotta tweaking... working on the rigging part of it now-a-days.
This was just a quick thing right after smooth skinning, the shoulders wigged out so the arms couldn't reach some poses.

divinerain

Dann-O ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 6:35 AM

Nice work Divine Rain and I look forward to your entry in the contest. Some fun stuff there. I hope they make more contests like that. I have a 3 cube and mirror meathod I use for my heads used it for that one too. I started trying out a single cube meathod and it was not working. So I went with my standard 3 cube mirror method and went from there. Two weeks is a short time and well I pretty much did not go out last weekend to ge tas far as I did.

Cool stuff eveyone.

I cheated on my metaphysics exam by looking into the soul of the person next to me.

DivineRAiN ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 12:21 PM

ok, you've got me scratching my own head...  3 cubes to create a head?  How do you go about doing this?

divinerain

Teyon ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 10:53 PM

file_373377.jpg

Something fun I played with in Silo.  Subdivided the mesh 3 times and sculpted. Haven't moved past the third subdivison yet because I've not needed to but I will eventually.

Teyon ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 11:38 PM

file_373382.jpg

Added lights for a little drama.

Digital_Assassin ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 5:41 PM

Workin on an a10 model, this is still WIP WIP WIP :p
Oh this is a game model.

Zarat ( ) posted Wed, 25 April 2007 at 1:41 AM

Both models, A-10 and M1A2 are looking great!
What game mod will they be for?

You had a look at De Espona models already? Quite some useful stuff on the CD's.

Digital_Assassin ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2007 at 12:11 PM

Thanks, havent had a look at those cd's no, most everything i do is 100 percent my work cause im trying to get a job in the industry ...

pauljs75 ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2007 at 6:55 PM

file_375949.jpg

NASA Space Shuttle for [Flightgear.org](http://www.flightgear.org) simulator. A nice visual to go along with the existing flight data model. Still some parts and texturing to do before it's completed. Modeled in Wings3D.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Stone_Camel ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 5:09 AM

Attached Link: Full Image

file_375984.jpg

I have been working on this guy for the last couple months.  I am in the home stretch, but I could really use some feedback.  Does this look like a comercially viable figure to anyone?

Please ignore the horrible texture job.  It is just there because I got tired of seeing grey all day long.

Thanks,

John

Teyon ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 6:07 PM

file_376028.jpg

The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated....

Stone_Camel, it's not bad work at all.  I do see room for improvement in proportion, anatomy and structure but in the same token, it's better than some models I've seen on sale for Poser. Great job and great job to everyone else! Man, what talented folk there are on these boards! :D

Here's my first after the CRASH. It's a sculpt of a character that I roughed out back in my High School days. I'd always wanted to make a video game...not just any video game but a Fighting Game....with an actual story no less! lol.  Anyway, this is one of those characters done in 3D and slightly revised.

Teyon ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 6:08 PM

file_376029.jpg

And wires...

Dann-O ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 7:03 PM

Teyon you coudl not get any data recovery to get yoru stuff back? Great model ther eI hope you are going to do more of the hands.

Stone Camel that is looking good. I would go with a less saturated color palette that one is a bit too bright.

Teyon ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 7:25 PM

They recovered the files, I mean, I see them and all that...they even claim to take up space on the drive according to the individual properties of them but nope, I can't open a single one regardless of my method. I think they may be somehow compressed or simply corrupt. I have to speak with the tech guy who did the recovery but he's off for awhile.

As for the model, it's no where near finished. Tons of work to do on the body and the clothing (yes, he will have clothes!) . I need to bend the fingers around  his axe before I start sculpting them but the hands will be getting much needed attention this weekend.

blbarrett ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 8:40 PM

file_376044.jpg

**Teyon, really cool character - I hope you'll post more images as you detail him.**Here's what I've been working on.... 
  • Simple base model built in Max,
    ( a sphere with a cylinder neck and a partial sphere for the shoulders )
    imported into Mudbox for sculpting.

This model is my first using this application. I just started moving stuff around. :)
What do you think?

• I've learned enough of how the program works,
    now I just need to build something with purpose.

Piflik ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 4:11 AM

file_376403.jpg

Thought I finally post one of my creations. Since I can't do convincing hair, I set him on fire :). Still needs textures and before that UV mapping. What a joy :D. (actually I thought of skipping that....Off to the next model!)

I never finish anyth

Becco_UK ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2007 at 9:53 AM

file_376839.jpg

Some nice work going on here with varied 3D applications.

My latest project is another 'liquid' figure using Cinema4D 9.6 and RealFlow 3.

Just over 150,000 RealFlow particles were used to make the figure using Apollo Maximus 2007 as a controlling volume.

Seen here in the early stage of the RealFlow mesh imported into Cinema4D for some further work.

Gog ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 8:23 AM

file_377049.jpg

Wow, lots of interesting projects, a little teaser, an architecture image (a Tudor Great hall using the Hammer Buttress technique) that it isn't signed off under any NDAs (most of my architecture images are under NDA).

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

Gog ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 8:24 AM

Must make some characters now that blender has a sculpt tool......

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 11:24 AM

file_378408.jpg

Hi,  Work in progress. Modelled in Amapi D7, rigged, skinned, mapped and renedered in Carrara 5P. A kinda everyman base figure. Haven't realy desided what I'm gonna do with him though. The texture is a rust texture I did in Carrara. Thanks for any interest.

ANGER. IS THE BEAST WITHIN.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 11:26 AM

file_378409.jpg

Oh yeah, I've tried this displacement painting thing in Silo on the face and I cant seem to save the displacement map out. Any tips?

ZIKEO ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 11:43 AM

file_378412.jpg

Hi again, Thought I'd have a go at modelling someone I thought I knew well. Myself. And not do myself any favours. The head is nearing completion and I'm about to move onto the body.  (I didn't realize what a strange shape my body is) Modelled in Amapi D7, shaders and render in Carrara 5P.

Teyon ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2007 at 5:53 PM

file_379082.jpg

Completely forgot about the guy up there. I'll have to get back to him...and my Poser dude, once I have a free weekend.  I did this late last night (3am) took me two hours. First serious model I've worked on in awhile. I need more hours in the day...or a vacation.

jc ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 7:01 PM

Hi All,
Being new to this topic, i didn't notice this thread and put my first WIP here in it's own lonesome thread. Can't delet it now, but will post here.

Ideas or critique are welcome. 
Many beautiful model here, seems an excellent place for a just-past-newbie box modeler like myself  to learn stuff.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 7:00 PM

file_382427.jpg

A naga warrior. Makehuman for the human parts. I haven't gotten to the point of making a human from scratch. Working on it but can't get it quite right yet. I have a quiver made and an arrow (to clone for filling the quiver). Needs a sword and sheath cross the back yet; and texture/displace work. It's been more of a rigging exercise (3ds max) than anything. 12,552 polys. I used a rendertime sub-d, so call it 50,000 polys for the render. W/ the rest of the props, probably 75,000 or so.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.