Sat, Jun 1, 5:30 AM CDT

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 18 10:09 am)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Boolean Operations Question

jfike ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2005 at 8:02 PM · edited Mon, 09 October 2023 at 2:47 AM

I notice that when I clip on the "A" of a Bryce tree, the full object attributes, such as positive, negative, etc, are available. Is there a way to actually use these options and if there isn't, why are they there? For instance, I can do a boolean subtract with a terrain and a cube, but can't seem to do that with a Bryce tree and a cube.

shinyary2 ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2005 at 8:31 PM

I'm not the best one to answer this. I do know however that you can't boolean a tree, probably because it's a new object in Bryce5. You can boolean most other objects however, but you can't boolean a metaball except with other metaballs.

You can go to BryceTech.com and they show you how to remove the roots of a tree with a texture. This would of course be useful so you can make the roots by hand or put the tree in a pot without the roots sticking out the bottom =)

Something else they should fix for Bryce6.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2005 at 8:53 PM

Yup, you can't boolean a tree. I've tried, lol. None of the booleaning operations seem to work on trees. But, yes if it is a need to kill the roots, you can check out brycetech.com I also sometimes just make the whole tree trunk transparent, and use the leaves for bushes, vines, etc. AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Mahray ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2005 at 10:09 PM

Trees are apparently metaballs, which is why you can't boolean them.

Come visit us at RenderGods.

Ignore the shooty dog thing.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2005 at 10:40 PM

Yeah, but you can boolean a regula metaball. I would be neat if we could "melt" multiple tree trunks together. AS

jfike ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2005 at 10:54 PM

So why are the object attribute selections available? I guess it's just another piece of code that hasn't been fixed. I guess I'm expecting too much that a product as old as Bryce is to have so many inconsistencies (if you click on the "A" of a camera, the attributes available are totally different from say a tree or cube.) How hard would it be for the DAZ programmers to modify the code for metaball objects to "grey out" the boolean attributes? Maybe I'm being too critical.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2005 at 11:38 PM

In the case of the metaballs, the idea is to go ahead (in B6.0) and have the boolean operations work the same as it does for other objects. (via the Attributes window) As for the trees, we just need a tree lab with many more options. AS

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2005 at 2:43 AM

Yup, yup. Don't make 'em think they can grey functions out, make 'em think they have to make the functions WORK! Fran

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

Swade ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2005 at 10:53 AM

EXACTOMONIO Fran and AS... 8)

There are 10 kinds of people: Those who know binary, and those who don't. 

A whiner is about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest.

shinyary2 ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2005 at 2:35 PM

Yeah, it would be neat to be able to "melt" different trees together. I can see all of the Asian trees already... Personally I would absolutely die over a "root melt" feature, that would cause the roots of the tree to "melt" into anything that the tree touches. That is, conforming roots, so that if I have a tree on a terrain, Bryce would automatically conform the roots to the terrain. Also being about to easily boolean trees rather than having to do texture stuff. It's not hard, but it's still a hassle and would be nice to just boolean like every other object (except for metaballs of course).

jfike ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2005 at 6:31 PM

What got me started on this was a question in another forum about "bending trees." I thought, well, I'll use a segment of a torus and size it to a tree trunk and use the same material (as the trunk). Chop off the lower part of the tree and boolean add the torus and the tree could be fit to the side of a hill or mountain. Most programs either "gray out" or remove items from menus when they aren't available. Bryce does it both ways (look at the general camera attributes and then the general tree attributes.) This isn't a big deal to someone who uses the program a lot, but for a newbie or one who uses it occasionally, it can be frustrating. And being a programmer, I know it is not hard to disable properties of objects that said properties don't apply to. I really thought that DAZ would clean up the code some on their initial attempt. Anyway, enough said about the subject and thanks for the input.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2005 at 9:38 PM

The treelab and metaballs were quick additions to Bryce 4, and Corel didn't take time to polish really anything up. DAZ basically accomplished what they originally set out to do, (and what they had stated they wanted to do). What you will see in Bryce 6.0 will envelope more detailed things like the discussion in here. Or, at least that's what has been said by DAZ in the past. We will see what comes out (hopefully soon) about what precisely will be delt with in Bryce 6.0 AS

shinyary2 ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2005 at 10:10 PM

Hmm but there are ways to get around metas and trees booleaning (is that a word?). Not terribly difficult ways either. Hopefully they won't spend all their time fixing bugs (that should have been fixed in 5.5?) and spend more of their time adding new features (dynamics!!!!). One can always hope that in addition to fixing these issues they will make Bryce6 a reasonable buy by adding plenty of new stuff to make it worth our while.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2005 at 10:35 PM

It seems logical to me they would keep smashing bugs in 5.5 and start all new on 6.0, of course that's just MY logic. ;o)

shinyary2 ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2005 at 11:13 PM

HUH?!?! You mean start a completely new program with 6? Or just add tons of new features? Personally I would rather they didn't start with an entirely new program. Bryce has survived with its corny but fun interface for a very long time. Even if they kept the interface, well... you know what, who cares? As long as it's good and still cheap that's what really matters. I assume you meant tons of new features because starting over just doesn't make much sense. It's already got a great renderer (unless they plan to make it like Firefly--shudder). It just lacks in modeling and animation, is all. I talk too much. =)

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2005 at 11:32 PM

It's all specualtion for us non-DAZ employees, as to how Bryce 6 will be built. (whether upon B5.5, or from the ground up) I was able talk to DAZ last year, and heard what they would LIKE B6.0 to be able to do, they seem to have the same hopes we do. A long time ago the plan was to split Bryce into a standard version and a Pro version, I'm not sure if that's still the plan, we'll just have to wait and see. But, I can see that still being a viable option, its worked well for Vue. Although, I did hear what DAZ wants to do with the GUI, and if that works out, Brycers would be very, very happy. AS

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 3:40 AM

Did they mention booleaned trees then? Cos if not, it would be a good idea to mention this to Daz somewhere - before they get too set about the limits of Bryce6. I really, REALLY like the idea that tree roots could meld into terrains properly.

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 4:58 AM

No, didn't mention booleaning trees, it never occured to me until this thread, but a better tree lab was mention TO daz multiple times. AS

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 6:32 AM

I just wondered if they'd think of the "melding roots into terrain" aspect of "a better tree lab"... Um... think I'll just nip over there and bellow out a request for it, just in case...

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 7:10 AM

Okay I've added that to the wishlist over there.

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

shinyary2 ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 1:10 PM

Right-o. That's one of the main limitations of trees in Bryce, as far as I'm concerned. That along with the no booleaning thing. Trouble is, they've got LOTS of suggestions. If they don't think of it, I hope they get around to reading all of them... ==) (It's an alien! =P)

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 8:13 PM

Are there other 3D packages that melt trees into land? AS

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 9:06 AM

Dunno, but if Daz could make that function gradeable... I mean have the land melt into the trees a little bit... medium, lots... and massivly! Could have a load of fun with Daliesque landscapes if you could do that...

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

shinyary2 ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 11:44 AM

Personally I would expect Vue to meld trees properly with land (it being so expensive and supposedly better than Bryce). I wouldn't really know, though. Of course if you're good with modeling you ought to be able to do it anyway in either program, just not using their default roots.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 12:53 PM

Vue 5 infinite - don't believe so, but not totally for certain. I just edit the terrain I'm using underneath the tree, in Photoshop, to have a "socket" for the roots to fit into, otherwise I'll help the scene with a little postwork. AS

shinyary2 ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 3:20 PM

Ah, yes... postwork, the ultimate cure for all that ails you! =)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.