Tue, Apr 30, 11:48 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 29 12:23 pm)

Subject: Creating bioluminescence with P6 shader nodes?

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2011 at 8:34 PM

That is really cool!

BionicRooster ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2011 at 8:50 PM
Forum Moderator

Attached Link: Ray Gun Blast

Well what do ya know, it got approved already ;o)

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

ThunderStone ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2011 at 6:46 AM

With Bobby at the helm, why are you surprised?  :rolleyes: 😄

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

kamion ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 11:28 AM

this topic may be 7 years old already, but still very usefyul.

wonder if there are new extentions for Poser 9 for the gather and bioluminesence effects.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 11:38 AM · edited Sat, 01 September 2012 at 11:45 AM

Actually, the gather node is not useful today.  It did a very clumsy job of what IDL now accomplishes in general.  Do not use gather in P9.  Just turn on IDL. 

Gather was fun, but very rudimentary in terms of developing indirect lighting.

There doesn't need to be any new extensions for "bioluminescence" (quotes not to be snarky, but to because I'm assuming this is a very specific effect and not something more precisely modeled after true bioluminescence).   For the edge glow effect , just make an ambient material that takes an Edge Blend.  You can make it with a black inner color and a white outer color and feed it into Ambient Value to just work with one ambient color, or you can set up two different colors in the Edge Blend and feed that into Ambient Color.

That's the simple approach.  If you want to get more creative with your glow, you can do all kinds of things with other nodes.  That's the wonderful thing about a node architecture.  You can always build your way to advanced materials.

kamion ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 12:08 PM

Quote - Actually, the gather node is not useful today.  It did a very clumsy job of what IDL now accomplishes in general.  Do not use gather in P9.  Just turn on IDL. 

well although I have Poser 9 (CP made an offer you could not resist) I am rather stuck with Poser 7 still, so gather is still of use to me.

but thanks for the tips.

BionicRooster ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 12:53 PM
Forum Moderator

Tinkering around, I came up with this in Poser 7.

I'm pretty sure someone can do better with SSS.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

kobaltkween ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 1:35 PM

Actually, I think there's a backdoor to get to IDL/GI in P7 that's rudimentary but still better than gather.  If I could remember who found it and tried it out I could find it.  Was it two main people trying it out?

Why are you stuck with P7?

BionicRooster ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 2:24 PM
Forum Moderator

Bills and real life expenses keep me from upgrading to a newer Poser, but hoping to get it as soon as things are caught up.

As for the GI in P7, I have the script already, just kinda forgot I had it :o)

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

kobaltkween ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 2:54 PM

Quote - Bills and real life expenses keep me from upgrading to a newer Poser, but hoping to get it as soon as things are caught up.

As for the GI in P7, I have the script already, just kinda forgot I had it :o)

Oh!  Sorry, I cross-posted.  I meant that in response to Kamion saying he has P9 but is stuck in P7. 

If you have the hardware to run it, then waiting for a better time to buy P9 is a good idea.  By the time I got P7 it was $20.  They're always pretty good about selling old copies cheaply or giving them away.

kamion ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 3:17 PM

Quote - ----Oh!  Sorry, I cross-posted.  I meant that in response to Kamion saying he has P9 but is stuck in P7. ----

P8 and P9 have an interface that probably works better on a newer broad screen then I have, so I just cannot get used to it. P7 I do in my sleep so to say.

you know that old worn in easy fitting pants that doesn't flatter you alt all, but wear so nice?  something it's the same with P7.

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 6:54 PM · edited Sat, 01 September 2012 at 6:55 PM

Nice SS/Info BR! I copied it and will try to use it in PP2012 later this weekend! If I can figure out some SSS I will post it, but I am still learning the insides of that one.

HugZ!
Ariana

Is there water in your future or is it being shipped away to be resold to you?
Water, the ultimate weapon...

www.futurefantasydesign.com

BionicRooster ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 7:13 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote - Nice SS/Info BR! I copied it and will try to use it in PP2012 later this weekend! If I can figure out some SSS I will post it, but I am still learning the insides of that one.

HugZ!
Ariana

I had to use the Fast Scatter node, but I'm guessing if you made it with true SSS, it would look way cool.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 8:00 PM

I will do my best, but honestly if this works in PP2012 I am really liking it as is!!! One question about the way the light is (*at least to me, but I am blind as a bat) little particles. Ideas on smoothing that a touch? Just asking.

HugZ!
Ariana

BionicRooster ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 8:10 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote - I will do my best, but honestly if this works in PP2012 I am really liking it as is!!! One question about the way the light is (*at least to me, but I am blind as a bat) little particles. Ideas on smoothing that a touch? Just asking.

HugZ!
Ariana

Easy... I had to use the Gather node on the ground to catch the light(Poser 7 and below)... If you turn on IDL, you'll get much better results.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 8:51 PM

Woot! Thank you!!!

I'll post some results this weekend! You ROCK!!!

HugZ!
Ariana

kobaltkween ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 10:14 PM

Kamion - I totally understand about P9.  Comfort with your tool is really important.  Just to let you know, you can make everything that floats in P7 float in P8 and P9 as well.   That said, I can comfortably shrink my PP 2012 screen to about 1/4 of my screen, where P7 I really could only work at full screen.  I generally find that the new interface has much less dead space for icons and labels that are the same size or smaller.   I'm pretty definitely missing something in terms of what  you're looking for and not finding in the P9 interface, so I'm not betting floating the panels will make things better for you.   I just figured you might not know.

FFD - Just to warn, Fastscatter behaves very strangely and inconsistently when you add lights.  It technically shouldn't do anything at all without lights because it's a shading node, and shouldn't affect BionicRooster's material at all.  I'm betting that it does affect it, which shows how unpredictably it behaves.  That's the reason you don't see Fastscatter skin materials everywhere, why there were all sorts of SSS kluges before P9.  It was completely unreliable, with raytraced shadows producing major errors.

BionicRooster ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 10:25 PM
Forum Moderator

Here's the shader, minus all the nodes for Fastscatter, so this is what you'll actually want to add SSS to, not the one posted earlier.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

Shadow_Fyre ( ) posted Thu, 18 January 2018 at 10:30 PM

kobaltkween posted at 8:28PM Thu, 18 January 2018 - #3981361

Actually, the gather node is not useful today.  It did a very clumsy job of what IDL now accomplishes in general.  Do not use gather in P9.  Just turn on IDL. 

Gather was fun, but very rudimentary in terms of developing indirect lighting.

There doesn't need to be any new extensions for "bioluminescence" (quotes not to be snarky, but to because I'm assuming this is a very specific effect and not something more precisely modeled after true bioluminescence).   For the edge glow effect , just make an ambient material that takes an Edge Blend.  You can make it with a black inner color and a white outer color and feed it into Ambient Value to just work with one ambient color, or you can set up two different colors in the Edge Blend and feed that into Ambient Color.

That's the simple approach.  If you want to get more creative with your glow, you can do all kinds of things with other nodes.  That's the wonderful thing about a node architecture.  You can always build your way to advanced materials.

Is this still true for Poser 11 now? I'm trying to get the results from this thread and it's getting confusing because of all the missing pictures. Nothing like resurrecting an old thread!!

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 18 January 2018 at 10:59 PM

Shadow_Fyre posted at 10:54PM Thu, 18 January 2018 - #4322506

Is this still true for Poser 11 now? I'm trying to get the results from this thread and it's getting confusing because of all the missing pictures. Nothing like resurrecting an old thread!!

Yes, it's still true. Ambient Value controls your brightness, Ambient Color your color, and if you want to involve Transparency, go ahead. EdgeBlend nodes give you a blend from facing you (inner) to facing away from you (edge). Without an exact example of the look you're going for, I can't say what elements you need, but those are the most common elements for glowing things.

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Thu, 18 January 2018 at 11:58 PM · edited Fri, 19 January 2018 at 12:00 AM

Shadow_Fyre posted at 11:47PM Thu, 18 January 2018 - #4322506

P8/Pro2010+ with IDL can do much better than the gather node. P11 adds the Superfly render engine, which can do glowy stuff even more easily.

I have some material packs with which you could experiment:

refractive ghost, wireframe hologram, and Cortana for Pauline

You may want to dissect some of the glowy materials in some of the other packs:

seach's freestuff at R'osity

seach's freestuff at ShareCG

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

Shadow_Fyre ( ) posted Fri, 19 January 2018 at 5:26 PM

Thanks for the info @kobaltkween and @seachnasaigh and for the links. I will take a look at those.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.