Sat, Jun 1, 7:46 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, donnena Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 25 9:15 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Issue with light colors

Mason41 ( ) posted Sun, 26 June 2022 at 10:25 PM · edited Sat, 01 June 2024 at 7:45 AM

I have an issue in poser 12 where, if I change a light color to a gray like 190,190,190 for the RGB, the material color shifts to a red tone. Does this all the time and I have to play wack a mole to stop this. I have tried several settings and cannot get this to stop. The diffuse color of the light is correct but on the light's material color it does the red shift. I then end up with red tones in my render.

Anyone else experience this? I cannot figure out what changes it. I set the gray color then a second later it red shifts.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2022 at 9:21 AM

Poser loves to bug out with some things that have the exact number for R, G and B. Try 190 190 189 to see if it changes - I've never had it happen with material colors but I get Subsurface Scattering turning itself off when the colors are all the same value...

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

Mason41 ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2022 at 9:52 AM

Well its not the material per say. Its basically the color of the light its just set as the material color in the color room or the color circle on the light. Poser seems to introduce a saturation value which then shifts the color. Maybe all lights need a little color and can't be 100% gray.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2022 at 11:11 AM
Online Now!

Attach a simple color node to the light channel and make the changes on that chip.  I seem to recall that there is a bug associated with applying a direct color to the light node chip.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2022 at 11:21 AM · edited Mon, 27 June 2022 at 11:25 AM
Online Now!

BTW, are you doing Firefly or Superfly renders?  I definitely do not see it in Superfly.  If you can screencap what you are seeing in the renders and the light node settings maybe we can visualize what is happening.

Mason41 ( ) posted Tue, 28 June 2022 at 1:07 AM
hborre posted at 11:21 AM Mon, 27 June 2022 - #4440444

BTW, are you doing Firefly or Superfly renders?  I definitely do not see it in Superfly.  If you can screencap what you are seeing in the renders and the light node settings maybe we can visualize what is happening.

Its in firefly

Mason41 ( ) posted Tue, 28 June 2022 at 1:30 AM · edited Tue, 28 June 2022 at 1:30 AM

Here are pics of what I do.
ZG9CrFaCbdApHocDCsVAXwBT8kGX40NUxPmPqLPw.jpgiMnQejfUWZCwLHH2o4hefCHisIc2I4wBElCGhxv8.jpgWo3jlOcehi7ObmT6L10WDEtIfBwW2ctdbnE7pNOt.jpg

Mason41 ( ) posted Tue, 28 June 2022 at 1:45 AM

I did find I can edit my preset light file and set the values there and as long as I don't change light colors in the UI or bring up the material for the lights things seem fine.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 28 June 2022 at 7:07 AM
Site Admin

this sounds like something you might report as a bug. https://support.posersoftware.com/

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 28 June 2022 at 7:14 AM
Online Now!

This may seem like an isolated case on your part.  I don't see this happening on my end.  My only recommendation is to reinstall the software if you are inclined to do so.  Maybe try resetting P12 back to factory default before a reinstallation to correct the problem.  You could file a support ticket but I don't think there is much the techs can do if they can't replicate the problem.

Mason41 ( ) posted Tue, 28 June 2022 at 5:31 PM

I think I've isolated the problem to if you set the color of the light via the material room node "color" somehow the color picker is always adding a saturation to the color value. So you can never pick a gray.

But if you set the color of the light manually to a gray, the color node appears to get ignored and uses the value set. I recreated my lights since I noticed the default lights from poser do not exhibit this trait.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 28 June 2022 at 7:54 PM
Online Now!

I still believe there is a corruption in your installation that is throwing off the light color chip for some reason.  I am not noticing what you're describing, yet I am seeing some inconsistencies between nodes that I shouldn't be getting.  I'm hoping it's not a major bug in the Material Room.

Mason41 ( ) posted Tue, 28 June 2022 at 11:31 PM
hborre posted at 7:54 PM Tue, 28 June 2022 - #4440508

I still believe there is a corruption in your installation that is throwing off the light color chip for some reason.  I am not noticing what you're describing, yet I am seeing some inconsistencies between nodes that I shouldn't be getting.  I'm hoping it's not a major bug in the Material Room.

When I messed with the default lights on another machine this effect didn't happen but after a while it did occur. I think there is a bolt loose in there somewhere. could be its also an effect of direction lights vs say spot lights. I use direction lights.

Mason41 ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2022 at 5:52 PM

I did verify with the Poser devs that this is a bug that somehow got into poser 12.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.